NBA 2012-13 Season Thread - Crown The Heat!

shattuck_sl

shitlord
I admire teams like Boston, Atlanta and Milwaukee who know when it's time to blow it up. Actually, it took the Celtics a couple more years than it should have, but they still got there. The Nets are absolutely fucked for the next 10 years, I didn't realize Brooks was part of the deal too.

STFU_sl

shitlord
I just wish Brooklyn would have hired a good (proven) coach. This trade makes them better than they were. I like the winners attitude of 'we're going to win now' as opposed to hoping to get lucky on draft picks that if all goes as planned are going to be pick 20+. Big market teams don't need to rebuild through the draft, and 30 million dollar Gerald Wallace. Not sure what the Celtics are doing. It will be funny if they go full loser mode and trade Rondo.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I just wish Brooklyn would have hired a good (proven) coach. This trade makes them better than they were. I like the winners attitude of 'we're going to win now' as opposed to hoping to get lucky on draft picks that if all goes as planned are going to be pick 20+. Big market teams don't need to rebuild through the draft, and 30 million dollar Gerald Wallace. Not sure what the Celtics are doing. It will be funny if they go full loser mode and trade Rondo.
Yeah, but if "win now" means 6th place in the East and 1 and done in the playoffs, you can do that a lot cheaper

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
I just wish Brooklyn would have hired a good (proven) coach. This trade makes them better than they were. I like the winners attitude of 'we're going to win now' as opposed to hoping to get lucky on draft picks that if all goes as planned are going to be pick 20+. Big market teams don't need to rebuild through the draft, and 30 million dollar Gerald Wallace.Not sure what the Celtics are doing. It will be funny if they go full loser mode and trade Rondo.
You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

STFU_sl

shitlord
Yeah, but if "win now" means 6th place in the East and 1 and done in the playoffs, you can do that a lot cheaper
They were the #4 seed in the East this year. Next year they'll battle for the #3/#4 again, with New York falling out of the top 4 and Chicago going back to #1.

They could absolutely do it a lot cheaper, but it would also take longer. Large market teams with exuberantly rich Russian owners don't have to wait to become a contender like small market teams do.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
I admire teams like Boston, Atlanta and Milwaukee who know when it's time to blow it up. Actually, it took the Celtics a couple more years than it should have, but they still got there. The Nets are absolutely fucked for the next 10 years, I didn't realize Brooks was part of the deal too.
It's tough to have this opinion, when you remember they were inGame 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals last year, and were a foul call on Rondo away from winning it in 6. You can see why they tried to add for this year and give it a go, unfortunately it didn't work out, and now seeing Pierce leave is tough.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
They were the #4 seed in the East this year. Next year they'll battle for the #3/#4 again, with New York falling out of the top 4 and Chicago going back to #1.

They could absolutely do it a lot cheaper, but it would also take longer. Large market teams with exuberantly rich Russian owners don't have to wait to become a contender like small market teams do.
My point was you only sacrifice the future for the present if you think you can win it all. Nobody in their right mind thinks the Nets can do that with this team.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They are better today than they were last year and the east is pretty fucking terrible outside of one team.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's not like those are going to buy top 5 picks or Pierce and Garnett have 5 years left on the deal. The trade was fine, it's just not going to get them a title

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I don't see anything new on the ESPN website...did more happen after Rivers called Simmons an idiot during the draft?

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's not like those are going to buy top 5 picks or Pierce and Garnett have 5 years left on the deal. The trade was fine, it's just not going to get them a title
Either of the last couple picks in that deal could turn out to be lottery because of how old that team is. Deron Williams has had his share of injury issues, who knows how effective he'll be in a couple years. Joe Johnson's contract really ties them up in terms of being able to sign FA's. Of course the pick next year won't be in the lottery, but the others could. Even then, ANY first rounder in next year's draft may be more valuable than normal because that draft is supposed to be so stacked. I think it's once again a case of them giving up a more than they had to.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Not sure what the Celtics are doing. It will be funny if they go full loser mode and trade Rondo.
It'd be funny if it weren't so smart. They had to blow it up because they didn't have anything to build around in the long term, and they didn't really have anything to draw a big name free agent. Free agents aren't going to go there just cause they're the Celtics, the Celtics need to have talent there to begin with that other guys want to play with (not guys like Pierce and Garnett who are near their end). There are a few exceptions I can think of, but that's generally the case. When you hit the point where you don't have it, even the big name teams should blow it up.

And yes, they should trade Rondo too. Grab another 2014 first+ with him if they can.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I don't see anything new on the ESPN website...did more happen after Rivers called Simmons an idiot during the draft?
Just some tweets back and forth. Rivers saying Simmons wrote letters to the owner to try and get him fired and Simmons saying Rivers was full of shit.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
I particularly like it because of how sensitive Simmons is when famous people badmouth him. There's no way he could be a GM. Doc probably made that shit up though

I still think the Nets deal is fine, even thought I don't like any of the players involved. They need to establish a fanbase for that team still and form some sort of rivarly with the knicks to be in anyway relevant. New name, stadium, owner, coach, etc while also rebuilding isn't going to do a lot of good for the franchise. They were already stuck with no free agency play because of Lopez/Johnson/Williams/Wallace, now they essentially just went a little deeper into the tax, made their roster better for a year or two, and also got rid of Gerald Wallace. They'll actually have money sooner this way and don't have to bank on a ping pong ball and an injury to DWill to land an all star in the draft

It's not the type of team building I'm doing if I run a team, but it's completely justifiable I think. It's not too hard to think they could be a 3-4 seed next year

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
It'd be funny if it weren't so smart. They had to blow it up because they didn't have anything to build around in the long term, and they didn't really have anything to draw a big name free agent. Free agents aren't going to go there just cause they're the Celtics, the Celtics need to have talent there to begin with that other guys want to play with (not guys like Pierce and Garnett who are near their end). There are a few exceptions I can think of, but that's generally the case. When you hit the point where you don't have it, even the big name teams should blow it up.
100% agree with this.

We all know how the NBA works 95% of the time. If you're not a warm weather team, and middle of the road...you stay middle of the road. You need to get so bad and hope for a lottery pick, which usually means trading away all assets. The Celtics are almost there. Just get rid of Rondo for magic bean picks, and stink a few years.

2014 will be the year to garner as many picks as you can. If this class is 15 deep in potential superstars...you can get rebuilt pretty damn fast.