NBA 2012-13 Season Thread - Crown The Heat!

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Monta Ellis isn't a huge upgrade over anyone. He's an inefficient volume shooter and worthless on defense.
Yeah right here. He had one decent season in GS where for reasons unknown he wasn't bricking 3 pointers, but otherwise he's got 9 other seasons of piss poor play. He is literally the definition of a player that shoots you out of games. He is a negative asset on both sides of the court.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Carlisle will bench Ellis faster than he did Mayo if Ellis starts chucking up shots. Ellis has never been on a good team with an option like Dirk and a coach like Carlisle - no one gave a shit that he was a blackhole with GSW and the Bucks so he just kept on doing it.

Given Carlisle's hatred for dumb basketball, Montae will either improve or he'll be in the doghouse on the bench.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Hah, how many chuckers have been rehabilitated in year ten? He is who he is.

And I'm not trying to be overly critical of the Mavs. They took a shot and missed. It's just sad because I really like Dirk and his career is going to end completely irrelevant.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Was Ellis that terrible last year? Granted, I only watched him play in the few games the Warriors played against the Bucks, but he seemed to bring a solid offensive game. Maybe that's because it was against his old team, but is he really that bad?

I remember everyone boo'ed Joe Lacob after the Ellis trade. Now everyone thinks he's awesome.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yes

It's a desperate move that I'm disappointed in Cuban for making. Hello 35 wins!

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Was Ellis that terrible last year? Granted, I only watched him play in the few games the Warriors played against the Bucks, but he seemed to bring a solid offensive game. Maybe that's because it was against his old team, but is he really that bad?

I remember everyone boo'ed Joe Lacob after the Ellis trade. Now everyone thinks he's awesome.
He scored 19 a game, but it took 18 shots to do it. That is not a good offensive player. Just someone that shoots a lot.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Yes

It's a desperate move that I'm disappointed in Cuban for making. Hello 35 wins!
Cmon they are much better than that, they got 41 wins with last year with Dirk missing 1/3rd of the season. They easily make the playoffs last year otherwise.

Not saying it's a good thing to lose in the first round of the playoffs and get a bad draft pick, but Dirk playing 80 games has been worth a playoff spot by himself for over a decade.

He scored 19 a game, but it took 18 shots to do it. That is not a good offensive player. Just someone that shoots a lot.
Yeah he's really ineffecient but the Mavs have no scorer after Dirk and VC off the bench, I'd rather those 18 shots go to Monta after Dirk than the alternatives.

Hippos

Silver Knight of the Realm
Mavs draft PG and SG, then sign three PGs, a SG, and a combo guard (overpaying them all in the process). I mean if they wanted to overpay another guard and actually begin building a future, they could've signed Gerald Henderson for something like 7 million a year. He's a pretty solid two-way player and his offensive game has steadily improved every year, and he's still only 25. He certainly would've fit in better than Ellis.

Regardless, don't think I'll be making much of an effort to watch as many of their games as I can this season. It's just impossible to comprehend what the current plan is for the team other than to Isiah it. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ellis involved in a "truck sex"-esque scandal in a few years at this rate.

Hippos

I know we've been pooping up the thread, but more Mavs news coming out tonight:
Mavs were within an hour of signing Iguodala (RIP my heart)
Larkin breaks foot in summer league practice (RIP his career, Carlisle nvr4get Roddy B.)
Harris deal cancelled on account of toe injury (RIP expendable_guard_001)

PG position pretty much took care of itself tonight, now just something has to be done about the logjam at shooting guard with Ellis/Carter/Ellington/Ledo. It's really hard to say trade Carter because he's being paid as such a good value, but the Mavs need someone to man the middle for the future and his contract is an easy sale, so maybe try and move him in a deal to the Rockets for Asik and that solves a few things. Gortat still lurking out there too if they want to try and re-open those doors.

They should probably get No Knees Blair to backup Dirk on a minimum deal too if they can (better backups available but I want to watch him shoot flip shots for 16 mins a game).

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Blair's a bit young to be taking minimum deals

Harris injury is certainly convenient for Mavs once they decided they needed to sign another scorer after the d12 sweepstakes

Pharazon

Yeah right here. He had one decent season in GS where for reasons unknown he wasn't bricking 3 pointers, but otherwise he's got 9 other seasons of piss poor play. He is literally the definition of a player that shoots you out of games. He is a negative asset on both sides of the court.
Nah, he had 3-4 pretty good seasons. You can call him a chucker now or whatever, but he did a few things really well back then that any team would welcome. The problem is, his best asset was his ability to get easy baskets in transition and his ability to drive off the dribble in the halfcourt / possibly create for guys like that. 5+ assists for a 2 guard playing on a shitty team is pretty solid. He was usually in the top 5 league wide for points in the paint a few years running because of his fast break ability.

The problem is he doesn't do much of that anymore (from the little I saw of him on the Bucks this year), so he has literally turned into a chucker. If he can't create the easy transition baskets like he used to, and doesn't have as much explosiveness off the dribble, he's nothing but a small, poor-shooting off guard. A few years ago he was consistently a 45%+ FG shooter, but because he doesn't get as many easy baskets anymore he's likely going to be 42% or below from here on out.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
If they could somehow get Asik and re-sign Brandan Wright I'd be happy. He's been top 20 in PER last 2 seasons and is a fantastic off the bench guy, too rail thin to be much of a starter/defender though - outside of blocks.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
8YOLv0r.jpg

Hippos

What could you guys give up to get Asik?
Carter + 2014 2nd + Cash. Gives you a solid guy that can fill in as backup SG/SF and fits in almost perfectly with the Moreyball mentality (76% of his shots last season were 3s or at the rim), a patented Morey tradebait pick, and then cap relief in 2014 when Carter comes off the books (not like his contract is bad anyway, 3 million)/you avoid having to pay Asik that terrible 15 million.

Seems reasonable enough given that Asik has voiced his desire to be traded, though there are probably better deals out there to be had for him.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
That would be too bad for the Rockets since no team will ever win a championship with Carter on the roster. :/

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Asik may make 15 next year, but his cap hit is like 8, he's a very valuable trade piece imo as he's only getting better

Hippos

Asik may make 15 next year, but his cap hit is like 8, he's a very valuable trade piece imo as he's only getting better
True, but I'm wondering if the 8 million cap value will still apply if he gets traded. After seeing what happened to the Devils with that Ruskie's NHL contract, it might be possible that the NBA front office gets involved in some manner because a new team would pay Asik 20 million in salary (5 + 15), but only have their cap affected by 16 million (8 + 8) because the Rockets paid an extra 3 million on cap vs. salary in 2012-2013.

I'm too lazy to look up if something like this has happened before, so the Rockets are just going to have to go ahead and trade Asik to Dallas just so we can see the result.