NBA 2012-13 Season Thread - Crown The Heat!

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
After last nights game the question in my head is whether or not Manu can step up for the Spurs the same way Wade did for the Heat. Also can Splitter stop trying to dunk just like Bosh needed to stop shooting 3's?
Splitter needs to not be out on the court at all. I've never seen a player look so out of place before. He looks completely dumbfounded every time he gets blocked or has the ball ripped out of his hands. Which is damn near every time he touches the ball. Wtf was his backcourt violation 2 seconds into the game all about?

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
dejuan blair, shame
frown.png

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Spurs haven't lost back-to-back in the playoffs either. Spurs in 7! Yay for crappy logic!

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
I never said they have, but they don't have home court. The other two times the Spurs came from 2-2 to win in 6 and 7 they had home court.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Keep up. This has absofuckinglutely nothing to do with who has home court.
You said it would be "epic" (meaning you think it's extremely unlikely to happen) if the Heat lost in 6 because they haven't lost 2 straight in awhile. For the Spurs to lose this series, they would have to lose 2 straight at some point. The Spurs also have not lost 2 straight in awhile. Therefore, using your own logic, the Spurs will win in 7.

I've already said I think it's going to Game 7 and will be a toss-up. Drawing conclusions based on small sample sizes is retarded. Stop doing that. I realize it's the sports culture we live in now, but when someone posts a stupid factoid like that on ESPN, it's meant to be interesting...not something to base an argument off of.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Tim Duncan can just will them to another championship imo, spurs baby

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I don't want to say there aren'tanysigns of Wade aging but the whole "breaking down" argument is very overblown. The reality with Dwyane is he's going to miss 10-15 regular season games from here on out. But healthy he's still a top 10 player in the league. He has not had a great playoffs, but this is the first time that has ever happened.

But seriously. 21, 5, 5, 2, 1 on 52% shooting. He's still very much an elite player when he plays. And the 10 or so awful games he has had these playoffs aren't enough to convince me otherwise
Healthy he's still an amazing player. But he's going to be healthy less and less often. The kind of player Wade is, he depends on being explosive and outhustling everyone else. That's the kind of player that doesn't age very well. He's already undersized for his position, so he doesn't have much to fall back on and can't exactly develop a post game to compensate.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I always appreciate your relatively unbiased opinion on things Ham, and those clips made me laugh. But, the first one was more of a Pierce mistake of getting off balance then anything impressive by Jameer Nelson, but the Joe Johnson one was really embarrassing for Pierce.

Pierce has not been overly athletic for many years, but he still seems to get stuff done and put up decent numbers. Ugly or not, he still contributes. I think he should ideally come off the bench, or play 20-25 minutes max if he does start, on this theoretical Clippers/Celtics post trade mashup team. Providing some great bench scoring and leadership is where he really needs to be, but the current Celtics need him to start with their roster.

I think that Clippers team gets better if all of that goes down, but not by a whole lot. Howard/Garnett is more of a sidegrade from Blake/Jordan I think. DeAndre Jordan is showing signs, especially since Chris Paul joined the team, of being a very, very solid, but still developing, center. He's good on defense and scores around the bucket, although he's still very inconsistent. He can't shoot a free throw, but neither can Howard. So, while Howard is an upgrade to Jordan, I think Griffin is an upgrade over Garnett at this stage of his career. Sorry Garnett fans, he's still very good, but doesn't take over a game and dominate like he used to.

The only reason I think it's any kind of significant upgrade, is by gaining a great coach in Doc Rivers, the versatility/leadership of the vets come playoff time, and that I think Paul and Rivers would help make Howard a better player overall. Basically, a lot of intangibles that would hopefully be greater then the sum of its parts. They would have to get all of those pieces though, just trading DeAndre Jordan for Garnett (as an example) I think hurts the Clippers as much as it might help.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Pierce would be a glorified role player at this point not the primary and that's a role he could do well, he's amazing at creating a defensive switch and shooting over inferior defenders, that's a skill you can age with.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Pierce would be a glorified role player at this point not the primary and that's a role he could do well, he's amazing at creating a defensive switch and shooting over inferior defenders, that's a skill you can age with.
Paul Pierce defies all logic. He's slow as hell, stiff, can't jump very high, yet somehow manages to put up pretty good numbers while looking completely unimpressive at all times.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
I think that Clippers team gets better if all of that goes down, but not by a whole lot. Howard/Garnett is more of a sidegrade from Blake/Jordan I think. DeAndre Jordan is showing signs, especially since Chris Paul joined the team, of being a very, very solid, but still developing, center. He's good on defense and scores around the bucket, although he's still very inconsistent. He can't shoot a free throw, but neither can Howard. So, while Howard is an upgrade to Jordan, I think Griffin is an upgrade over Garnett at this stage of his career. Sorry Garnett fans, he's still very good, but doesn't take over a game and dominate like he used to.
Nah, it's a huge upgrade for a season or so pending a couple big IFs. If Howard can get a little healthier and play closer to what he was, and IF Garnett can keep his fountain of youth running for another year, that frontcourt is SO much better than Griffin / Jordan. Garnett and Howard are both a LOT better defensively than either of those guys, and arguably have the two best offensive games of the bunch as well. Even at this point in his career Garnett's jumper is easily the best of the bunch. You need a 4 or 5 in today's game to be able to hit some jumpers for floor spacing, and the Clippers really don't have that now with their current guys. And even though Howard's post game isn't great, I'll still take it over Griffin down there. Hell, for a given play I'd take Garnett in the post over Griffin as well.

And DeAndre Jordan is not showing signs. He is what he is, an overpaid big who can block some shots, give you strong finishes here and there, not even hit the rim on 20% of his free throws, and that's about it. You can't play him in crunch time. The only way that trade wouldn't make them better would be injuries. And it'd probably have to be 2 injuries honestly. If you replace Griffin and Jordan with just Howard you could arguably become better.