NBA 2012-13 Season Thread - Crown The Heat!

Copo_sl

shitlord
The reason why the Heat are so good
rrr_img_13637.jpg

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
What a boring game - OKC will never win a title with a RW/KD tandem. Lebron is fucking ridiculous. Crowd was totally out of it 3/4 of the game - but was a fun way to spend V-day! Nacho's and beer and the 2 best players in the NBA.
CP3 is better than Durant. If you want to say injury concerns give Kevin the nod we can have that argument but on pure production, over the past 6 years, Paul is the only player that has come anywhere close to LeBron.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
You mean his prime that won't being for another 3 - 5 years, right?
NBA players peak at 24. No one believes this but the stats back it up.

Now here's where someone goes and finds 4 counter examples to the 40,000 NBA seasons analyzed and calls it bullshit. I can find the research if anyone is actually interested but I doubt you are.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I think it's safe to say that Basketball player's plateau near their prime for about 6-8 years though, especially with today's medicine and training.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yes definitely. And superstars with great work ethics and little injury history like Jordan, Kobe, Malone, etc will extend that plateau, but 24 is still where the peak happens with players plateauing until 30 and then a sharp decline after. There are obviously exceptions to this just like all things.

Honestly though Durant is 24 this season and playing out of his mind with a pretty massive jump over last year's production. I could see someone looking at that and assuming he's bound to do the same next year. Thing is he's playing so efficiently I just don't see where he could improve. This has been such a monster year I'd actually expect him to regress to somewhere in between, which is still really good.

If he can go on like a 5 year tear here where he continues to shoot 50/40/90 and also take 9+ free throws a game complete with 7/8 boards and 4/5 assists, we'll have serious talks about him vs LeBron. 50 games of that is just not enough to make a guess as to which way he'll lean. I think his career will end up similar to Kobe's where he has streaky seasons (although better seasons obviously. He's already better than Kobe ever was) and is up and down with his production. Those down years being still really spectacular seasons just not at the level this one is.

That's a ton of speculation. We'll just have to see what happens.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
you know the all star weekend is doing great when nobody even bumped this thread all weekend

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Dunk contest was unwatchable last night. Terrible to watch. Last really, really good one was 2003 - Jrich vs. Desmond Mason. One amazing dunk after another to end it.

Hippos

Silver Knight of the Realm
steps to fixing all-star saturday:
a) no more gimmick shit (east vs west, dunk wheels, etc.)

b) remove shooting stars challenge, replace with a 3 on 3 mini-tournament of current players (maybe retired players too, but none of those fat shitty ones that they cart out for celeb and overseas games). format would be 8 teams and you play games on both end of the court simultaneously. so it'd be two sets of first round games, a set of second round games, then a championship game. i'd be willing to bet this is way more competitive and fun to watch than the first 3.5 quarters of an ASG.

c) skills challenge is alright as is, i'd probably just take it down to 4 guys and have them each run the challenge twice. take top two scores for a finals where best time wins. this is mostly just a filler event for extra ad money, it'll never really be very good unless they gimmick it up. if they wanted to replace this event entirely, then they could just expand the 3-on-3 tournament to 16 teams.

d) same format for 3 point challenge as 3 on 3- 8 guys invited, simultaneous runs and take top 4 scores from first round, top two from second, head-to-head final running at the same time. i think this was how it used to be but for some reason they changed it. the 3 rounds make it more of a test of skill/consistency/endurance for the finalists so that should result in better finals pairings and the head-to-head format of the final could give it more excitement/pressure if it comes down to the last rack.

e) dunk contest needs to ditch any real round shit. we have no idea what the four guys who didn't make the finals were "saving" as far as dunks go, so we're not seeing the best product put on the floor. i'd say a field of 6 guys and have them each do 4-5 dunks. only 3 attempts per dunk, each completed dunk is scored, and a non-completed dunk is scored 66% of max. drop the lowest 2-3, average the rest. top two averages go into a dunk off final, which is just three minutes of them taking turns dunking (with a shot clock per turn, maybe something like 15 seconds), then let the fans decide who won.

so it'd basically be the current pre-planned dunk format for the first "round", then layup line-esque final of awesomeness. you won't really see any dunk saving for the finals then because it's just going to be dudes throwing down eastbays and what not given the time constraints/competitiveness. for the final i also think only one ball should be used and the guys have to hand the ball off to each other after each turn, so it adds that little extra flair to the event and also makes the guys process that this is a real competition.

f) don't ever host it in houston again. shit town that inflated the prices so high that legitimate fans couldn't afford to show up (you can't charge $500 on average for tickets in a majority-hispanic city). the crowd reactions during the dunks last night were pitiful.

make it happen adam silver.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Best part of the game so far is Steve Kerr making Reggie Miller sound even dumber than normal. I really wish they'd stop giving these jobs to people like Miller, Shaq, and Aikman.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91H0JH20130218

Jerry Buss, who parlayed a $1,000 real estate investment into ownership of the Los Angeles Lakers and won 10 National Basketball Association championships, has died at 80, the NBA said on its official website on Monday.

Buss had been hospitalized and treated for cancer but the immediate cause of death was kidney failure, according to his assistant, Bob Steiner, who was cited in the NBA post.

Buss bought the Lakers in 1979 and under his ownership the team became one of the most valuable and popular franchises in professional sports.