NBA 2014 - 2015 Season Thread

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like Harden, but I could never vote for him over a guy he lost to all season. 0-4 vrs Curry this year. Just wouldn't make a lot of sense to give him MVP over a guy he couldn't get at least 1 win over.. Not when it's considered such a close race

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I like Harden, but I could never vote for him over a guy he lost to all season. 0-4 vrs Curry this year. Just wouldn't make a lot of sense to give him MVP over a guy he couldn't get at least 1 win over.. Not when it's considered such a close race
Basketball is a team game and the Warriors are way better than the Rockets.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Basketball is a team game and the Warriors are way better than the Rockets.
yes, I knew someone would say that, but it doesn't change much for me... I'm not trying to be dense but I think things like that should be considered.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
yes, I knew someone would say that, but it doesn't change much for me... I'm not trying to be dense but I think things like that should be considered.
I honestly had to think on it a little bit because I'd never heard anyone bring it up before. It's an interesting perspective. I just can't put a whole ton of weight into what happens over 4 games in an 82 game season, but all I care about is stats.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Can't fucking wait for the weekend. Clips Spurs! Mavs rockets! Brow gs! Some amazing first round series coming up.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Brow gs! Some amazing first round series coming up.
So if the Brow was able to pull the upset over GS, would it be considered a bigger upset than GS over Dallas like in '05 when Dallas won like 63 games and was the 1 seed?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think the NOLA-GSW series is going to be five games max. I don't foresee an upset there. Spurs, Clippers, and Grizzlies worry me the most.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
So if the Brow was able to pull the upset over GS, would it be considered a bigger upset than GS over Dallas like in '05 when Dallas won like 63 games and was the 1 seed?
No, because for NOLA to win AD would have to go Super Saiyan and become some sort of ridiculous force of basketball destruction, but that's what everyone expects from AD anyway. If he does it this year he's just a little ahead of schedule. It's like when Lebron first made the playoffs, no one expected him to win early but if he did people would just nod and be like "Well, it is Lebron" while he put up 30-12-8 every night. If Bogut gets hurt(he always does) this series could be very scary, but Monty Williams is terrible, JRue is hurt, and Tyreke making crunch time decisions will never end well. I kind of hope it happens because watching Draymond try to figure out a way to check Brow with no rim protection behind him would be hugely entertaining for the duration.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I just don't see a strong case for Harden over Curry or Westbrook. If you're looking at wins then you have to go Curry. If you're looking at stats then Westbrook beats him in points, rebounds, assists, and steals

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
If Bogut gets hurt(he always does) this series could be very scary, but Monty Williams is terrible, JRue is hurt, and Tyreke making crunch time decisions will never end well. I kind of hope it happens because watching Draymond try to figure out a way to check Brow with no rim protection behind him would be hugely entertaining for the duration.
Bogut's backup is actually a pretty good rim protector (and decent overall). He was hurt the entire season last year (and much of the beginning this year) so when Bogut went out in the playoffs it hurt extra, starting Lee at center next to Green lol..

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I just don't see a strong case for Harden over Curry or Westbrook. If you're looking at wins then you have to go Curry. If you're looking at stats then Westbrook beats him in points, rebounds, assists, and steals
Harden is 17th in TS%. Westbrook is 159th. Moreover, just from watching games, it still seems like Westbrook hero balls it a lot more than Harden. That to me is a huge and valuable difference.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
So let's ignore the 'per game stats are worthless' argument we always get into. Harden played in 14 more games than Westbrook this year. Take how close their stats are, Harden's superior shooting and the extra minutes and The Beard comes out on top. The Thunder also just missed the playoffs (I don't think this is a great argument but there's no way the award goes to a guy on a non playoff team).

If you dive into it further, Harden destroys Westbrook on any advanced metric, but that discussion goes nowhere here so we can avoid it.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Can't fucking wait for the weekend. Clips Spurs! Mavs rockets! Brow gs! Some amazing first round series coming up.
It's gonna be good. My hope is the Warriors beat New Orleans, then beat Portland. Spurs beat Clippers, then beat the Mavericks. Then the Warriors win the Championship over the Spurs! ...and then we'll get some boring ass team from the East play the winner.

And stop talking about Westbrook. He's Tracy McGrady. Puts up numbers, at times looks amazing doing it, but something inside his thick skull keeps him from being a winner. Actually, worse, McGrady was almost kinda carrying some teams to the playoff chopping block, whereas Westbrook has been on some very good teams and somehow managed to help hold them back. No, I don't blame them, but I don't credit him for a shred of OKCs success either. Yeah, yeah I'm still butthurt they let Harden go over Westbrook.
wink.png

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Warriors playing the Spurs in the Conference Finals sounds awful. That team scares me. They always beat the W's.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
So, I just ran my MVP formula and James Harden came out on top. It was mostly because he played 300 more minutes than Curry, though.

Top 5:
James Harden - 44.72
Chris Paul - 44.27
Stephen Curry - 41.40
Russell Westbrook - 41.07
Anthony Davis - 39.43

If I divide by Minutes Played instead of by 82 it comes out as follows:
Russell Westbrook - 1.46
DeMarcus Cousins - 1.32
Anthony Davis - 1.32
Stephen Curry - 1.30
Chris Paul - 1.27
(Harden is 6th with 1.23 since I know someone will want to know)

I like to use the PER82 for MVP because it doesn't make sense for Cousins with 59 games to be in the discussion, but this is a rare time where a guy (Curry) played 80 games and still ended up 300 minutes behind another guy, so I think it's worth showing. Chris Paul is being overlooked in all of this, but he's had another great season.

The average TVA/82 for MVP winners from 1978 to 2014 is 47.02. Harden's 44.72 was the highest this year, so it makes sense there isn't a clear cut winner like last year when Durant had a 47.48. I would be okay with Harden, Curry, or Paul winning. Paul doesn't have the hype, so he won't, but either of the other two are good options. Westbrook had a good year in the games he played, but the only player to win an MVP in an 82-game season with less than 71 games played is Walton in '78.

I'm sure I didn't change anyone's mind about anything, but thought it was interesting.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Warriors playing the Spurs in the Conference Finals sounds awful. That team scares me. They always beat the W's.
I just hope we get to see it. One can never take anything for granted in the west. We gave the Spurs a hell of a scare with MJ as coach - I want to see the WCF rematch with Kerr at the helm.