NBA 2014 Off-Season Thread

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Crown the Cavs.

Seriously, though...I think there are 7 really good players in this draft including 3 potentially amazing players. Cavs need to unload Waiters (because he and Irving don't get along), so I think Wiggins is still on the table. My guess is they roll the dice on Embiid, though.

Also thinking the Jazz put a trade together to bring Parker to Utah.

As for my Raptors...I just want Lowry re-signed. Beyond that, I don't really have a strong opinion on who they draft or sign. I'd like to keep pretty much everyone except Salmons and sign a big-wing defender, then just hope Ross and Valanciunas continue to develop and that Derozan/Lowry just meet the production they put up last year.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Also thinking the Jazz put a trade together to bring Parker to Utah.
Why would anybody trade out of the top 3 in this draft? Utah would have to package either Hayward, Kanter, or Favors (or future 1sts) with their own pick to move up and I'm still not sure anybody would take that. The chance to grab a star is too much for any of those teams to pass up.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Why would anybody trade out of the top 3 in this draft? Utah would have to package either Hayward, Kanter, or Favors (or future 1sts) with their own pick to move up and I'm still not sure anybody would take that. The chance to grab a star is too much for any of those teams to pass up.
All it takes is Philly not being sold on Parker and deciding they'd rather have Gordon or Randle. Maybe Philly decides a nucleus of MCW, Hayward, Randle and Utah's Top-5 protected 2015 is better than MCW and Parker.

I don't have inside sources or anything...it's just a feeling.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Parker is 3rd on my board as well but why the hell would anyone take Randle over him?

Embiid is the obvious first pick as long as the health issues aren't super serious, but reports are they might be?

Wiggins is one of the few players where I rate him very highly despite what overall was a disappointing college season. He still played ok though and combine that with his absolute freak athleticism and I think he just has more upside than Parker.

With you on your Raps. They're a playoff team right now. Keep that core together. You really only have two paths anyway, Jonas V turns into a star and you become contenders or he doesn't and you don't.

So the number crunchersreallylike Kyle Anderson from UCLA as a do it all type of guy. I'd say Diaw being a pretty decent comp or maybe Odom. He's the one guy in this draft that the stats love but the scouts don't.

I think Smart is going to slip about 3 spots past where he should, but I agree overall. It's a deep draft and I'd say there are 8 guys that I have little question about their success in the NBA. I add Ennis to your list of 7 and I will say that of those 8, Randle has some bust potential, but he still probably ends up a solid player.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
So Lakers just need to trade a future draft pick to Wolves for Love, have Parker or Wiggins fall to #7 in the draft, sign Carmelo or Lebron, re-sign Gasol, and have Bryant play like it's 2006. And maybe sign Mike Brown again.

If anyone can do it, it's Jim Buss.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Love to Boston rumors gaining some legs. I guess they aren't making any demands for him to agree to re-sign. 6, 17 and Oly or Sullinger. That's absolutely fucking shit horrid value but maybe we can package 13 and 17 to get into the 8-10 range and walk away with two decent players. Flip fucking Saunders would end up drafting Mcdermott and Stauskas there though. Yippee.

I like this deal better than the talked about Lee/Thompson Warriors deal simply because obviously one of Vonleh/Gordon/Smart/Exum will be there at 6 and I think all 4 of those players have really high upsides with low risk (except for who knows with Exum). What scares the shit out of me is Flip doing something like drafting McDermott with that pick or insanity like that.

Still don't think anything touches what Chicago can offer, but 6 and packaging 13 and 17 to move to 10 or so should theoretically net this team two young pieces to build around if I had any trust whatsoever in Flip's ability to spot talent.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
OKC is way more than a coach away from winning a championship, all KD AND RWB want to do is run and gun, those 2 are not enough.
I don't think this is anywhere near close to the truth. KD is good enough to make them contenders as is and they're really deep. KD is elite, Westbrook, Ibaka are "all star" level players and Collison, Butler, Adams, Lamb, Jackson, Jones and Thabo are all productive role players. They're pretty stacked in all honesty. Maybe missing the C they've been searching for forever, but I think Adams turns into that guy.

A competent coach and there is no reason that team doesn't win a championship very soon.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Isn't that what a good coach is for?
Yep, but our coach lets those guys do whatever they want, and they love him for it. Our ownership is new blood in the NBA so they won't put pressure on Presti to replace him because our superstars love him and he "leads" them deep into the playoffs.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
There aren't any good coaches available for OKC to hire. Let's be honest, there are maybe 5 coaches in the league who actually add to a teams winning chances (as in, out strategizing/gameplanning) - then a bunch of coaches that don't move the needle either way and are probably interchangeable.

Popp, Carlisle, Rivers, Thibs, and Spoelstra. There's a few others that are promising like the kid in Boston but mostly it's just a bunch of dudes who have been swapping teams with each other their whole careers with the same effect.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
He seems pretty good with match ups and calling up plays, unless you think it's Pat Riley with an ear piece pulling the strings. I know he has LeBron but so did Mike Brown. There are very few active coaches with rings, so he has to have done something right.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Big 3 in an abortion of a conference is his biggest accomplishment. Before Lebron and Bosh he was hovering around .500 without ever going passed the first round

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Flip doesn't want draft picks (lol). He wants immediate impact on the return. We'll probably take this rumored Denver deal for Chandler and Faried. Apparently Orlando is getting in the mix to send us Aflalo too.

To be honest if that deal includes Gallo and their 11th pick and forgets this Aflalo nonsense, there are worse deals that can happen. Doesn't sound like that draft pick for Danilo are even on the table though. I hate this team.

I think George Karl would be great in OKC.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I think George Karl would be great in OKC.
Stop playing with my heart. It is rude to even suggest such things could happen. Next year when Scott Brooks is making stupid decisions, all I'm going to be thinking about now is sweet, sweet George Karl.