NBA 2014 Off-Season Thread

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
You mean when he won a title before any of them? Not surprising that with all his early success he's already bored

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
rrr_img_77181.jpg

Fuck yes.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
What? Beal is out for a couple months, too...and of course PG is out for the season already. I really hope the injury bug slows down.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Holy shit, just discovered Open Court on NBA TV. Basically discussion panel round table with Reggie Miller, Chris Webber, Chauncey Billups, Isiah Thomas, Barkley, Kenny Smith, and Shaq with Ernie from TNT hosting and asking questions like who was the toughest non all-star you faced and what qualities from existing players would you take to build a perfect player. Really interesting hearing their thoughts and old school storytelling. Of course their banter back and forth is awesome.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, it's pretty entertaining, but the part about analytics where they slobbered on each other's abilities to scout beyond the numbers was painful. Most of what they said wasn't wrong, but it wasn't really right either. The two things (scouting and analytics) aren't mutually exclusive and both should be used when evaluating players. Shaq is a moron and Isiah gets way too "back in my day", but I do love the stories, like the stuff about Dumars.

Reggie actually has shown better insight in the couple episodes I've seen than I'd like to give him credit for. I can't stand listening to him call games, but he almost sounds like a fountain of wisdom on that panel. Smartest thing he said was when he refused to put himself on the Top 60 players list...considering how normally braggy and overconfident he is, that episode and decision showed a good deal of knowledge of the history of the game to me.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Sounds really entertaining. I'll have to try and catch that sometime. I'm able to watch something like that and eyeroll constantly and still enjoy myself. Should get Jerry West on there. He's the smartest 'scouting' guy I've ever heard talk on the subject. It's like heseesadvanced analytics without having to look at the stats.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
There's no way they will adjust the season to anything resembling a series of meaningful games. Way too much lost revenue. I imagine they are thinking something in the ballpark of 77 or 75 games. Still a bunch of meaningless chaff.

I think the number of games should be reduced, but I think the time should stick at 12/Q. Making it 11 wouldn't really add any value. I do think they should limit timeouts way more drastically though. Its always seemed to me to cheapen the sport to have so many bailout opportunities in the last few mins of a game.

In my ideal world: 45+ games, 12/Q, 1 timeout.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I don't see either of the proposed changes going through. The decreased games for the same reasons Drajakur points out and the shorter quarters simply because of the statistical implication.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I think the number of games should be reduced, but I think the time should stick at 12/Q. Making it 11 wouldn't really add any value.
I think they would seriously consider 11 minute quarters because in a star driven league it would help keep the stars on the court for a larger % of the game.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Are we certain that fewer games = less revenue? I'm not sure if you lose out on TV contract revenue because it means you can schedule fewer games at the same time, so the NBA might be able to get the same amount of prime time games. As for ticket sales, how many people go to every game?

Fewer games might raise the quality of the product too. Less injuries and rested players means better games. This might take a while to be reflected in revenue though.