NBA 2014 Off-Season Thread

Rhedd

Molten Core Raider
I have for sure. If he is already getting soreness in his knee playing these scrimmages.... that does not give me great faith for this season.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Man that really sucks for Chicago. I've always liked Rose but he just can't catch a break. He's probably one of the best players in the NBA who never got a chance because of all of his injuries and it really doesn't sound too good if he's already feeling soreness from these shitty meaningless games.

I think after this year, we won't be seeing too many big name players doing the international circuit again. This off-season was disastrous with the injuries and I can see a lot of players saying "nope, not taking the chance" in the future.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I personally think it would be out of place if rose DIDN'T have problems coming back from tearing up two knees, I think since adrian petersons miracle recovery there's a perception that you can come back from major injuries without problems, I just think that's an absurd position. I'd say it usually take a year of playing to build back your endurance/strength.

Szlia

Endurance/strength is not built by playing, it built at the gym. Confidence in the injured limb is what you grow back by playing. The problem is that if you play while worrying about your injury, you tend to not be as fluid or to change you technique and posture to preserve the injury, which can lead to problems (in the same area or elsewhere) and make you play worse (on top of what game flair you lost by not being able to compete).

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Endurance/strength is not built by playing, it built at the gym. Confidence in the injured limb is what you grow back by playing. The problem is that if you play while worrying about your injury, you tend to not be as fluid or to change you technique and posture to preserve the injury, which can lead to problems (in the same area or elsewhere) and make you play worse (on top of what game flair you lost by not being able to compete).
Endurance isn't just built in a gym. It is called game shape for a reason. I agree about confidence.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Not liking the sixers end in the deal. I wanted Bennett
Thad has no future on your team and you're still looking to bottom out another year. There isn't a whole ton of leverage on the Philly side.

That said, Bennett fucking sucks so I wouldn't really worry about it.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Finally, it's official: Cleveland Cavaliers acquire Kevin Love in three-team trade | cleveland.com

Pretty much the deal everyone expected. Cavs gave up Wiggins, Bennett and a future 1st round pick (it's actually Miami's pick so it, in theory, has more value than if it was the Cavs since everyone expects Cleveland to do better than Miami). I guess the interesting aspect is that Bennett will be staying in Minnesota and not going to Philly as was originally theorized. So it sounds like Philly's plan to tank the next season or two is moving steadily forward.

Like I said earlier, I've warmed to the trade. I see a lot of potential in Wiggins and even in Bennett now that it sounds like he's taking things a bit more seriously. But with the team we have now, we have a legitimate chance to win it all this season or next (assuming all of the pieces remain in place).

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thad has no future on your team and you're still looking to bottom out another year. There isn't a whole ton of leverage on the Philly side.

That said, Bennett fucking sucks so I wouldn't really worry about it.
The guy had a bad rookie year. He was worth the risk for the sixers. Worst case is be doesn't pan out and we let him go when his rookie deal is up. Best case, he lives up to his potential and we have another young, quality player. Thad was the guy they wanted. We absorbed some contracts and gave up a decent player. Getting Bennett wasn't unreasonable all things considered. I believe we got a 1st that is top10 ten protected next year and unprotected the following 2? So not a bad pick but I'd still roll the dice on Bennett. There is no pressure on him coming here.

What's funny??

Zzen

Potato del Grande
What's funny is that Anthony Bennett is perhaps this worst #1 pick of all time. Kwame Brown's career will look good compared to his.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's funny is that Anthony Bennett is perhaps this worst #1 pick of all time. Kwame Brown's career will look good compared to his.
Even tho this is a troll account I'll respond. So what? Dude came in out of shape and paid for it. By all accounts he's in much better shape, played a lot better during summer league and seems to have gotten the message. I'll take a risk on him. He's perfect for what we are doing here. He can just come in and play. The pressure of being number 1 overall isn't here.. There isn't even pressure to win here lol... Get the guy with some good coaches and let's see how he improves as a pro the next 2 seasons.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Taylor should have kept his mouth shut about Love. It was pretty embarrassing to read his comments. Bitter old fuck.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I was interested last year and it didn't happen. Sign me up if you get enough people this season.