NBA 2015-2016 Season thread

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
How can they even afford to have 3 max players and then overpay mediocrity like that?

After looking it up they are now $50 million over the cap

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
In some ways they kind of have to overpay people already on their roster. That contract is massively inflated but they could not get anyone as useful as a free agent because of being over the cap from the big three. It will hurt a lot when they're no longer contending, though.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
How can they even afford to have 3 max players and then overpay mediocrity like that?

After looking it up they are now $50 million over the cap
NBA is a softcap iirc. When you go over that softcap, it is something like a $1.50 tax for every $1 over.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
NBA is a softcap iirc. When you go over that softcap, it is something like a $1.50 tax for every $1 over.
You can go over the cap to re-sign players and there are specific dollar amount exemptions which complicate things. They also changed luxury tax so the more you go over, the more you owe per dollar. I think it maxes out at $5 tax for every $1 of salary.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Cavs are going to get off to a rocky start with our injuries but we should start to bounce back early next year and we'll be fine come playoffs. Being the weak east we'll make the playoffs at a much lower seed than what the team actually is capable of due to those injuries. And I'm, honestly, not sure who can stand in our way of reaching the finals this year once things get going.

The whole Tristan Thompson thing is beyond stupid. $80 million for 5 years is already overpaying. I want him signed but the whole situation is just dumb.
Agree completely. Even if someone not named Lebron gets hurt late I think they still make the finals.

I'll add I think Spurs beat Cavs in finals without or without a healthy Cavs team, though.

I'd like to see OKC contend, but my irrational hatred for Westbrook makes me want to see them come up short again.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I'm interested in seeing what the Clippers do this season. Theoretically, Pierce is a pretty major upgrade over the Butler/Dudley/Barnes journeyman, role playing SF they've fielded the past few seasons. He is old as geezer balls though and has to break down sometime. And while you have to wonder how the chemistry will all work together, Stephenson and Smith certainly make their bench about 100x more talented this coming season than the dumpster fire they subbed in last year.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Winter is coming bitches!

As usual, the west is going to be extremely interesting this year and the Least is a joke, what's new? Spurs, Thunder, Clippers, Dubs, Rockets, anybody's guess who makes it out. 4 of those teams should be significantly improved. It's pretty difficult to see the Dubs improving on last season, the question is can they sustain that level of play or will having the championship take some of their fire?

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Agree completely. Even if someone not named Lebron gets hurt late I think they still make the finals.

I'll add I think Spurs beat Cavs in finals without or without a healthy Cavs team, though.

I'd like to see OKC contend, but my irrational hatred for Westbrook makes me want to see them come up short again.
Dear God... Popsicledeath and I are in agreement on something. This is surely a sign of the end times. BRB prepping my fallout shelter.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
RIP Flip Saunders.
frown.png

Fuck cancer.