NBA 2015-2016 Season thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Wow that half court heave looked awful but somehow made it. Fuck. I'm on the east coast right now with a 6am flight back west and I want to at least watch the first half of the Dubs game!

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Since you don't know shit about basketball, you can call a timeout and draw up a play when you have possession of the ball.

Retards not understanding basic rules coming in here and talking shit.
Guarantee I know more about basketball than anyone else here, unless they went beyond college ball.

As for the timeout, you're telling me Pop wouldn't have used it had it been an offensive foul and possession changed? No timeout was called because it was a scramble and looked like it would be an easy basket with the defense not setup. A better pass from Green and Mills can put it in, or Manu finishing the play instead of dishing it to Mills. So again, what is your point here? Pop wouldn't have taken that timeout had possession changed? You make no fucking sense.

And Lowry's shot was amazing, I have no idea how he made that shit.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
My point is that it's hard to get worked up over an offensive foul not being called since what resulted was a higher % play for the Spurs. You said that was dumb since Popavich drawing up a play would have been much better, now you're backtracking after getting schooled.

Either what happened was better for the Spurs, or they could have taken a timeout. Take a stance and stick with it.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
"After getting schooled." Cool story.

I took my stance, the best possible outcome would have been a drawn up play after possession changed. Pop letting them play after the Green steal doesn't detract from that.

Also, there were more than 5 fouls on that single play. I think there was a total of 9, the NBA just identified 5.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's impossible to know. Immediately after the turnover it looked like going for a bucket right away was going to be the best option because it looked like the Spurs might get a layup out of it. At the moment Green got control of the ball there were 3 Spurs over half court and Stephen Adams was the only standing OKC defender on that side. If you freeze the game here and give Pop a minute to decide whether he wants to play it or call a TO, without knowing the result he probably lets the play run every time. It's easy to say that they would have had a better shot of scoring after a timeout when you know they didn't score by not calling one... Spurs have a historically great defense, so he takes what was essentially a fast break opportunity to hopefully take a one point lead and then rely on his D to close out the game. Stephen Adams played some superb D there at the end to disrupt all opportunities the Spurs had out of that break though, first keeping Mills from getting a layup (although if Danny Green passes that ball differently they could have gotten a layup regardless), then showing on Ginobli's drive to keep him from getting an easy floater, and finally contesting what looked like it was going to be an open Mills 3.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I don't think there's a coach out there that wouldn't take a fast break in that situation. Except for Itlan, of course, who knows more than everybody including Popavich.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't think there's a coach out there that wouldn't take a fast break in that situation. Except for Itlan, of course, who knows more than everybody including Popavich.
That entire situation was a fucking mess. Sure, it could've turned out great, or it turned into the shitshow that it was. Give me a designed play with a little over 13 seconds left any day. Especially from Pop.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Is Cleveland's 3-point shooting all the sudden good or do these teams suck at defense?

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Cav's 3 point shooting is off the charts right now. 22-34, almost 65%

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I can see an argument being made that it should have been an offensive foul and Spurs ball, at which point there would have probably been a time out, and that it would have been the preferred scenario. Even in a hectic fast(ish) break, Green to Ginobili to Mills isn't exactly the preferred play with Aldridge and Leonard on the floor. Seems dumb, tough-guy-on-the-internet-bullshit to scoff at the notion of having either of them taking the shot, even if it's via a set play where the defense has a chance to be ready, instead of both being inside hoping for a rebound on a Mills shot from deep.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
That entire situation was a fucking mess. Sure, it could've turned out great, or it turned into the shitshow that it was. Give me a designed play with a little over 13 seconds left any day. Especially from Pop.
Rather than a 3 on 1 in the open court? Please. Stick to the tit picks, man.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Rather than a 3 on 1 in the open court? Please. Stick to the tit picks, man.
Like I said, it sounds good on paper, but look what a mess it divulged into. Fuck that, I want the ball in Leonard's hands to finish the game, not fucking midget Mills.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Man, the NBA is dumb. Pacers are an absolute wreck after the Pistons brawl up until Vogel takes over. Then they replace David West and Lance Stephenson with a bunch of guys named Hill and Monta Ellis and then blame the coach when the team regresses.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I remember when I was mad that the Warriors signed Curry to a lengthy extension and traded away Ellis for Bogut.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Ellis for Bogut seemed like a great move right off the bat because the team was going nowhere AND it allowed them to tank enough to barely (i think by way of an unlikely Lakers comeback against us in the final week) keep their first round pick that year. Less obvious was how good the side moves around that trade were going to turn out... Stephen Jackson comes back in the trade with Bogut, and the W's immediately turn around and ship Capn Jack's expiring contract to the Spurs for Richard Jefferson's bad deal and their #1 pick. That pick turned out to be Festivus, and set up the Green pick at #35. If they hadn't had that #30 to grab Ezeli, maybe instead they miss Ezeli, grab some other big at #35, and get neither of them. That trade was the turning point that allowed the franchise to transform from the perennially defensive doormat to a defensive powerhouse.

Looking back at all the moves that allowed the Warriors to get here is a pretty crazy journey. I roll my eyes at other fans who still today say shit like "If we'd only taken Drummond instead of Barnes how good would we be.... " when so many of the moves they made turned out perfectly.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Haha, that last play of regulation. Terrible. No matter the outcome of this game, Toronto is awful. How is this team a #2 seed?

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Haha, that last play of regulation. Terrible. No matter the outcome of this game, Toronto is awful. How is this team a #2 seed?
Kyle Lowry has just played, awful most of these playoffs. What an awful play, it took him 6 seconds to get across half court and then took that awful shot... Neither of these teams have a fucking prayer against the Cavs. East still blows, don't let the records fool you.

Zzen

Potato del Grande
That OT session was hot garbage. The rest of this series shouldn't even be played. Give the Cavs a bye to the Finals.