NBA 2015 Off-Season Thread

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
All very fair points, really ready to see what some of these young team can do. Sadly my team is not one of them lol.

I am also going to need DJ & LMA to make decisions tonight, running too many potential Plan C's through your head etc are not healthy.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
LMA is going to sign with the Spurs or the Rockets. Go ahead and start thinking about Plan C-Z MavsBros.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like him on the 6ers. I like Embiid a whole lot more, but I'd rather play Noel/Okafor and deal with the lack of outside shooting than have to deal with the no defense of Randle/Okafor. If one of the two of them can learn to step out to even just 15 feet it's something you can deal with. They definitely need shooters around those two and while Stauskas had an absolutely horrendous rookie year, it shows they are moving in the right direction.

If neither of them develop a jump shot (Okafor's release is ugly as hell and let's not lie, as of right now Noel's offense is limited to lobs, and junk points exclusively) you're in for some trouble.
I don't think Okafor ever developes a jump shot. His hands are just too big. It's like us trying to shoot with a softball

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
My worries with him are entirely on the defensive end. You guys remember how every PG used to torch the Shaq era Lakers and everyone blamed it on Fisher? The reality of the situation was Shaq was too slow/disinterested to defend anything involving a switch. The entire middle of the court was always just available for the opposing team's PG to do whatever they wanted.

This is the entire modern NBA. Ball handling, guard driven pick and rolls. It's the reason why a player like Kevin Love, despite being a better man defender than people give him credit for, just won't ever excel at team defense. You have to shield these guys with a whole lineup of long and athletic defenders (Cavs go a long way to do this with TT, LeBron and Shump), but good teams will still look to exploit it. They'll still draw Love/Okafor out and force them to defend and these types of players just can't hedge or blitz those screens to the level necessary. Add on to that the fact that Okafor's strength will be in ball stopping, iso situations on offense and you end up having to add shooting to the previous caveats of long, athletic defenders.

This is the whole reason Russell is the obvious pick. A guard with his scoring/shooting ability combined with what is legitimate 'run an offense' level court vision is essentially the prototype of what every team is looking for to base a team around. Low post scoring isn't just rare because these prospects don't come around as often, it's also just a far less efficient way to play basketball in comparison to plays that cause movement and switching on defense.

You can look at a team like the Spurs and see the very natural progression of what the league once was to what it is now. 5 years ago they were an inside/out team centered around Duncan. Today they're entirely based on motion, passing and mismatches (all with essentially the same core in place). You don't see plays where they give Tim the ball and ask him to score anymore. It's far more efficient to work the ball, force the D to move and get an open shot.

Just my opinion, bros. But I think Russell transitions much easier and faster into the modern game. He's much more of a prototype for today's league than Okafor.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do you think Russell will have a better rookie season? Just curious bc Oak seems primed for a lot of time and touches this year. If that duke stuff I posted is even remotely true, I think he can definitely develop into a solid defensive player. I can't remember if Shaq had the type of footwork he does. That's why I'm more optimistic.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Didn't the NBA veto the Chris Paul to the Lakers trade a few years ago? Seems like the Philly/Sacramento fleecing is even worse than that was.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Okafor has the length to be a rim protector. He does not have the quickness to hedge a PnR, which is something I think is almost mandatory for the modern NBA big man. Those that can't do that have to be shielded but will still get exploited and you have to hope their contributions elsewhere make up for it. Love is a good counter example because his shooting and rebounding certainly make up for his inability to hedge a screen.

Maybe Okafor is good enough offensively to make up for that deficiency. I'm not saying that is impossible.

And yeah, I think Russell will be better out the gates as well as long term. I'm amazed at how well he was able to play at Ohio State considering how awful the rest of his team was.

I think Russell's upside is Harden. I think Okafor's upside is Al Jefferson with length. Those are both good players. One is a lot better.

Those of you that go the other way with this, what is it you think he develops into? People made Tim Duncan comparisons before the draft (Flip up here made that one every time he spoke to the media) but I think it completely ignores one side of the ball. I don't think it's possible for him to be anywhere near that level of a defender.

Still though, it really sounds like I'm dogging Okafor and I don't mean to. I think he was the right pick at 3 and the 3rd best prospect in the draft without question. I still think he can be good. I just think there will be aspects to the team game that will make him a hard player to build around. I keep repeating this but it is the main point. Not that Okafor won't be good, just that you have to build a really specific squad around him.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You're not dogging anything. I was with you on him but some recent stories have at least gave me pause. Dudes in the gym at 6am working on his game. I love seeing that in a player. He has some serious drive to be great. I don't ever discount guys like that. He's winning me over fast and I think in time he's going to win a lot of people over.

Monta to Indy. Vlady better start praying. He's running out of FAs

EDIT.. He turned down a higher offer from the Kings. Lol

Antilles

Idiot Savaunt
Really? All I keep hearing is that he doesn't want to play the 5. It's pretty much a given he'd have to at least partially there, as there's no way Duncan can play the 5 on both ends for an entire season at this point and he's always been more of a 4 anyway. Right now they've got Matt Bonner. I'd think they need Lopez or someone else badly at this point, but it sounds like his meeting with the Knicks went well. They undoubtedly are trying to leverage him into LMA similar to the Suns play with Chandler.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Most enjoyable blurb.

HOLY HELL. There's a lot to unpack here... is a thing smart NBA people say when a complex trade happens. This is not a complex trade. This is a pillaging. Not a lot to unpack at all -- just one suitcase containing a gold statue of Vivek Ranadive punching himself in the dick until 2018 at the earliest.
Reports at a sixers rookie meet today, Hinkie was in the parking lot when the press was rolling in and threw his arms up and yelled "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED YET!?" guy is a shark with teams who need to clear salary

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I'm glad that trade didn't happen. If it did, it would have been highly unlikely that Harden would be a Rocket now.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Okafor has the length to be a rim protector. He does not have the quickness to hedge a PnR, which is something I think is almost mandatory for the modern NBA big man. Those that can't do that have to be shielded but will still get exploited and you have to hope their contributions elsewhere make up for it. Love is a good counter example because his shooting and rebounding certainly make up for his inability to hedge a screen.
So you think a PF that shoots 36% from 3 and <50% from 2's makes up for his inability to D up the P&R but a post C that can potentially score FG's at 60%+ can't? Granted, in today's game having a stretch 4 helps in other ways aside from the points you get from the 3's themselves, but overall I think there's a good chance that Okafor is a more effective offensive player than Love in his career. You just don't see freshman of that size able to consistently make the plays he was making. And having the potential to block shots on drives etc. as a help defender (which a guy like Love can't do) is still worth a lot.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Some guy on the radio talking up the Euro guy the Wolves just signed. Compared him favorably to Dirk.

I'm almost as excited for the NBA as I am for football, which is fucking heresy. If I didn't have a direct rooting interest in football and not basketball I may even prefer the NBA.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
NBA deserves a really big well done with the way the salary cap is structured. Big named guys like Monroe going to a small market team.

Antilles

Idiot Savaunt
The word last night was LMA would narrow this down to a three team race before having a second round of meetings. At this point you have to figure it'll be:

1) Spurs. Questions over positioning though, if playing the 4 is as important to him as has been described.
2) Suns. Questions were over cap space but they've freed it up without having to move Markieff. I'm bummed Granger won't get a shot at redemption here though.
3) Houston. Questions over whether he'll accept not being the #1 option. Harden will command a lot of attempts, will he be okay in more of a Chris Bosh role?

Portland and Dallas are likely some combo of 4th or 5th on that list. I could see either taking Houston's place if he's legitimately concerned over being the #1 guy. Portland just nabbed Ed Davis and given the assistant coaches comments about having already lost LMA, it seems like they are preparing to move on. Woj rightly points out they could still bring him back and Davis would be nice insurance behind him, which is why I'd place them above Dallas. Dallas having lost Chandler really would need to land DJ to jump up, I think.