NBA 2015 Off-Season Thread

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
This makes no sense. Nobody would take less money for the chance to win a championship or stay on the team that just won one.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Makes a lot more sense when you're 34 and made tons of money already than if you're young and haven't. Didn't see Kawhi taking less, for example. Always liked West back from his Xavier days so I'll be happy if they win this year.

Wonder if the spurs still have the taxpayer exception or not. I would like to see them add a guard.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Raptors are one of a few teams talking with Carlos Boozer. (Mavs, Clips, and Spurs were others, but I'd imagine Spurs are out of it now after the West signing.) His VORP and BoxPlusMinus are both negative for the past couple seasons, so what's the appeal here? He hasn't been a 20/10 guy since he left Utah...I guess we'd have him come off the bench behind Patrick Patterson? If so, I guess I'm okay with that, but I feel like that's a downgrade from Amir Johnson.

Leadaas

Dindu Nuffin
Oh hell yes Mo Williams is back. I'm so irrationally excited about this signing GETTIN THE GANG BACK TOGETHER SOMEONE GET JAMARIO MOON ON THE PHONE.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
As a second round pick signing his first big contract? Chase as much money as possible.
And then what? Be the star of another team? Lead another team to a championship? He'd probably just go to another team, get a huge contract, be above average but not the difference maker he's credited with being in GS, and in the course of his entire career it could cost him far more than he made in the extra salary. I mean, I don't even think Green believes he's a superstar caliber player that wants his own team to lead. He knows he has it good in GS. It's the perfect situation for him, and they have a good chance to keep winning, and winning is money in the NBA, and what builds legacy. So why mess with that when he's still making a ton of money? And best case scenario is he'd work to try to find another situation pretty much identical to GS where he could thrive as the most important role player on a championship team. He seems like a pretty smart player aware of the big picture, and he wisely chose winning over money. It'll probably make him more money over the course of his career anyhow.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
He signed for 5 years 85 million. Just below max. What he chose, over a max deal, was a 5th year from GS. They would have matched a 4 year offer sheet for the max anyway. This wasn't a situation where he took a home team discount.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
So, you won't respond to anything I wrote and just want to re-discuss the hometown discount angle? You're saying he should have chased as much money as he could, which he clearly decided to not do. He didn't talk to other teams, even knowing the Warriors would match anything offered. He didn't wait for free agency and try to get a higher max. He repeatedly told the the Warriors and the media he was more concerned about winning and staying with the the team that trusted him and helped develop him and that he didn't want to have it turn bitter over money. He did exactly that. But, nah, no hometown discount or preference there.

Do you think all players should chase the best stats and/or the best money? Or is this situation unique?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I actually think the Mo Williams signing is a really good pickup and deal for the cavs. As a backup, he has good value.

Zzen

Potato del Grande
For a second I thought he was the one who fucked Lebron's mother so I lol'd, but then I remembered that was Delonte West.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
So, you won't respond to anything I wrote and just want to re-discuss the hometown discount angle? You're saying he should have chased as much money as he could, which he clearly decided to not do. He didn't talk to other teams, even knowing the Warriors would match anything offered. He didn't wait for free agency and try to get a higher max. He repeatedly told the the Warriors and the media he was more concerned about winning and staying with the the team that trusted him and helped develop him and that he didn't want to have it turn bitter over money. He did exactly that. But, nah, no hometown discount or preference there.

Do you think all players should chase the best stats and/or the best money? Or is this situation unique?
They offered him 70 mil and the discussion got to the point where they both walked away. Again, it's less money for a 5th year. Other teams couldn't offer a 5th year.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
They offered him 70 mil and the discussion got to the point where they both walked away. Again, it's less money for a 5th year. Other teams couldn't offer a 5th year.
How does that answer my questions? How does that respond to anything I wrote?

Considering the pot-shots you've taken at me saying I don't know anything about basketball, and the fact I literally have no clue what you're talking about half the time even when I ask very direct questions, I'm going to just go ahead and assume we'll never be able to understand one another, so I'll stop responding.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
He repeatedly told the the Warriors and the media he was more concerned about winning and staying with the the team that trusted him and helped develop him and that he didn't want to have it turn bitter over money. He did exactly that. But, nah, no hometown discount or preference there.
I think it was a pretty direct response to this.

Do players chase rings? Yes. Do young players sign for less than their market value for the same reason? Not very often.