NBA 2015 Off-Season Thread

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm surprised Cousins lasted this long in Sac. It's difficult to see him leading a such a small-market team anywhere. They definitely shouldn't do it for Karl alone, but an argument can be made to do it for the good of the franchise. They don't have the pieces there to win with Cousins, and he'll likely be gone by the time they get them. If they could get both Okafor and Randle for him that'd be a great haul. Okafor straight up is arguably a solid move itself to get a higher character guy you can have under contract for 5+ years to come.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I just got giddy at the idea of the Lakers trading away their pick and Randle for Cousins, then signing Pierce and Wade, because it would be such a trainwreck.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
It's a weird situation all around. Part of it is how insanely prospects/draft picks are overrated. What are the chances any single player from this draft ends up as good as Boogie already is? Pretty low I think. At the same time, locking up someone on a rookie scale has value and who knows if DMC would stay in Sac long term. I think he would have with Mike Malone coaching. Have to think it's less likely with Karl.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Honest question because I don't pay much attention over there but:

Will Lakers fans let the organization go through a multi-year rebuild plan or will the only thing that satisfies them be a contending team right now? It's always been my perception that Lakers fans are extremely impatient and will mutiny against the team if they are not in a position to be contending for a title almost immediately.

Pharazon

It's a weird situation all around. Part of it is how insanely prospects/draft picks are overrated. What are the chances any single player from this draft ends up as good as Boogie already is? Pretty low I think. At the same time, locking up someone on a rookie scale has value and who knows if DMC would stay in Sac long term. I think he would have with Mike Malone coaching. Have to think it's less likely with Karl.
Are you saying any one guy? Or that you don't think any guy in this draft will be as good as Cousins? To me Cousins is not that good when everything is considered. He is a great rebounder, average defender, inefficient on the offensive end, and a locker room cancer. Add it all up and I think he doesn't give you as much value as his numbers might indicate. There's a good chance imo that one or two guys in the top 3 of this draft will be better than him.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Honest question because I don't pay much attention over there but:

Will Lakers fans let the organization go through a multi-year rebuild plan or will the only thing that satisfies them be a contending team right now? It's always been my perception that Lakers fans are extremely impatient and will mutiny against the team if they are not in a position to be contending for a title almost immediately.
Most Laker fans are Clipper fans now.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Really, really interested to see what pieces would move & to where if something like this went forward. Really curious to see if a SAC, LA, DEN three way happens with Lawson finding his way to SAC w/ Karl.

I am also really hoping Embiid gets healthy. Not a Philly fan in any stretch of the imagination, but there were times at Kansas when he looked absolutely incredible, even offensively when people thought he was years away from being able to score. There is also a lot of people saying that if Mudiay played at SMU, he could easily be the #1 due to his natural ability/athleticism. Really curious to see if teams end up paying for passing on him. Either way, I don't think there are quite any Wiggins/Parker/Embiid talents (no disrespect to Towns), but this should be a good draft for at least depth. Praying that somehow Payne falls to Dallas at #21, which will not happen but whatever.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think Towns is going to be a top 5 player in the NBA in a few years. His shooting is really underrated because he didn't have to shoot much from outside. He's going to surprise people with how good a shot he really is.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Let's not get too crazy here. I'm gonna say there's no way that guy is top 5 in a few years. Maybe a top 5 center at best.
3-5 year window and I expect to hear his name in that conversation. Guy Is a stud the more I learn about him.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Boogie is a degenerate and Karl isn't the kind of coach in favor these days since he actually tells players to do shit, but I'd gladly take Karl over Boogie if it were that simple. Not that I give a shit. Grew up in NoCal and fuck the Sacramento Kings straight to hell! In fact, they deserve to keep Boogie and maybe the Kings can trade Karl.

Laker fans don't really give a shit about winning now vs rebuilding. When the team is good again they'll be back.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Are you saying any one guy? Or that you don't think any guy in this draft will be as good as Cousins? To me Cousins is not that good when everything is considered. He is a great rebounder, average defender, inefficient on the offensive end, and a locker room cancer. Add it all up and I think he doesn't give you as much value as his numbers might indicate. There's a good chance imo that one or two guys in the top 3 of this draft will be better than him.
I'm not saying that no one in this draft class will be better than DMC. I'm just stating that if you take one player...any one...what are those chances? What does "good chance" mean? Demarcus might have character issues but he is oozing with potential still.

APM stats show him to have turned into a pretty spectacular defender this last season. I think that Malone probably had a lot to do with that and I definitely see a problem with a player that needs a certain type of coach to put in max effort.

This is a good example of one of those situations where I'll end up disagreeing with a lot of people here. Advanced metrics really like DMC. He has legit C size and above average athleticism. He's increased his shooting, FTA, rebounding and assist totals every season he's been in the league and with all of that he's still only 24.

It's asking a lot to say any singular draft pick is going to turn into that player. Character concerns maybe make you roll the dice on Towns or Russell, but all I care about is talent.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
3-5 year window and I expect to hear his name in that conversation. Guy Is a stud the more I learn about him.
He has Anthony Davis upside with his two way play and shooting ability, with even more range. He won't ever be quite that athletic, but he enters the league with a bit more offensive polish than AD did with similar defensive ability.

I'm not making any determination here on the likelihood of it happening. It's probably pretty low, but that is his max potential.

However, he is the consensus #1 in what is a draft of pretty top heavy talent. I think there's a chance he could turn into a superstar in the league, but really, predicting anyone will be a top 5 player except in extreme cases (like LeBron or something), you might as well just be grasping at straws.

Also keep in mind he's going to Minnesota which severely limits the chances of greatness.

Pharazon

Btw, I think KLove should go back to Minny. Pull a little Lebron move. Yeah, I didn't want to play here before, but now that you guys have some #1's on the roster.... They Love him there, they have the space? and that would be a scary good front court. Not going to happen cause he thinks the Lakers will give him glory and he wants those California Girls his uncle's band used to sing about, but a move back to Minny would be cool to see. Either way, it'll be funny to see him leave Cleveland after they gave up Wiggins for him.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
This is no surprise. There maybe was an argument without his injury to play out the year, and then get his big contract once the cap goes up, but given his decreased production and the injury, it makes sense to go after a 4/5 year max deal right now for that security.

This really has no impact on him staying or leaving the Cavs though. They made the trade knowing this was probably going to happen. LeBron is going to opt out of his deal too.

I'm not saying this isn't news worthy of reporting, but it's definitely a little click baity with the spin being put on it. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Btw, I think KLove should go back to Minny. Pull a little Lebron move. Yeah, I didn't want to play here before, but now that you guys have some #1's on the roster.... They Love him there, they have the space? and that would be a scary good front court. Not going to happen cause he thinks the Lakers will give him glory and he wants those California Girls his uncle's band used to sing about, but a move back to Minny would be cool to see. Either way, it'll be funny to see him leave Cleveland after they gave up Wiggins for him.
No thanks. I'll take Wiggins + Towns over Love(not like we can afford him anyways).