NBA 2015 Off-Season Thread

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
This is one of the most exciting free agency periods in a while. The looming cap explosion is giving players a lot more options/scenarios to mull over. Teams too, since a bad contract now might not be a bad contract in a few years. It'll be interesting to see how the mid-tier to high mid-tier guys shake out in this environment.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Danny Green probably left 20 million on the table staying with the Spurs. Kind of cool to see.

Middleton contract is great for the Bucks. Good for them.

Nets with some mind boggling signings for Thad and Lopez. Way too much money on players that just aren't that good.

Not sure what Atlanta is doing. With Carroll gone they might have to match the Orlando offer for Milsap otherwise they're looking at losing Paul and Demarr and getting back Splitter and Hardaway Jr.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Spurs are going to offer LMA a max and still somehow have enough for the mid-level and a half. Duncan and Ginobli taking big paycuts.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I'll eat crow after laughing at the comments on how much Tristan Thompson was going to end up getting paid. Still think it's pretty insane to pay him 20 mil a year, but this free agency period has been insane all around.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I really like Tristan. He plays hard and does a lot of little things that don't show up in stats but help win games. And he's a phenomenal rebounder. Especially on the offensive side. The thing is other players can fulfill a similar role.

P.S. Posting stuff on an iPhone is annoying as hell with autocorrects.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I really like Tristan. He plays hard and does a lot of little things that don't show up in stats but help win games. And he's a phenomenal rebounder. Especially on the offensive side. The thing is other players can fulfill a similar role.

P.S. Posting stuff on an iPhone is annoying as hell with autocorrects.
You could pay Ed Davis 1/8th of that salary and end up getting very similar production. 4s without range are a dying breed in the NBA. TT has the athleticism to play center next to Love, and the salary isn't as big of a deal on a team that really doesn't have cap space anyway (and already has it's core in Love/Kyrie/LeBron). It's just a lot of money for what he gives you. That's all I'm saying.

The thing about players that do "little things that don't show up in stats but help win games." Is that should translate on the court in their adjusted plus/minus stats. In that regard, TT last year was slightly above average on the offensive end of the court and slightly below average defensively. Not really the perception you would have of him.

I think he passes the eye test much more than he actually helps a team win. I will say though I was definitely impressed with him in the finals, so maybe there's another level to his game that we just haven't really seen for a long stretch of time yet. He is still young.

Leadaas

Dindu Nuffin
Holy crap guys Kevin Love took more money to stay with a better team what a shocking turn of events.

I don't think Tristan Thompson is worth anywhere near the amount of money they're throwing at him. God bless the guy for showing out in the playoffs and earning a payday, I just don't see the consistency to warrant that kind of contract. It's not my money though and hey if Dan Gilbert wants to keep cuttin dem checks more power to him.

Sterling

El Presidente
Spurs are going to offer LMA a max and still somehow have enough for the mid-level and a half. Duncan and Ginobli taking big paycuts.
Always feels like every offseason is just so good for the Spurs. It's insane how well things get done there.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
That's my point. I like Tristin but I don't see him being worth what he's getting paid. But I guess it helps when Lebron wants you on his team and you share the same agent.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I guess all the media reports some others here yapped on about Love being isolated and dissatisfied with his role weren't much to speak of. Shocking! Winning and money means something, apparently.

The Thompson deal is more than what I thought they'd give him even if they were playing the long game in realizing the salary cap will increase. Couldn't they have waited until someone else offered? I find it hard to believe anyone was offering that much. They must see a lot of potential in him.

Oh, and here's Draymond Green totally giving that hometown discount, which is why contract talks have stalled:Draymond Green, Golden State Warriors reach impasse in talks

Still, it would be crazy if Thompson ends up making more than Green.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Honestly I think the whole Love situation last season was blown way out of proportion. I'm sure there were some disagreements and some discomfort between him and teammates but I think it was more growing pains than actual issues. I really think that "reporters" made it sound a lot worse than it really was in an effort to drive clicks to their website and make drama. With Lebron coming back everyone wants to show drama where it really doesn't exist.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
And before I get called on it. Yes I think Lebron's tweets and passive aggressiveness were douche moves but that was more frustration than anything. Towards the end of the season and before Boston tore Love's arm off the group had much better chemistry and Love was contributing pretty strongly.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I think the whole Aldridge situation is the most compelling "storyline" of this Free Agency so far. It sounds like the Lakers really blew their shot at landing him. Sounds like they focused more on the "glitz and glamour" of being in L.A. rather than focusing on how they are going to win games and what he can do for them.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's nice to see FA not going the lakers way. Hopefully Jordan and Monroe pass too. Lakers pick is looking really good as a lottery next year!

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
That Shumpert deal is going to be atrocious even if the cap goes up to 400 million. What in the fuck?

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Yeah. We are going to have one of the most ridiculous payrolls ever. We still need to unload Haywood and see what we can do there. But this free agency was all about retaining the core from last year. Just need to keep everyone healthy.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Gotta get rid of David Lee though.
Don't really have to... either way it looks like they'll be paying less tax than the Cavs lol. They'll try to unload him if they don't have to give up much (one pick?) to save a good chunk of money, but they can do so anytime before the trade deadline. I still like the idea of just letting him expire if they can't trade him for no contract back or a cheaper contract that also expires next year. Having him expire next offseason would be nice to have some flexibility when a lot of things may be happening as the cap explodes.