NBA 2015 Off-Season Thread

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Now Joe Johnson too? Man Dan Gilbert is ready to cut some serious luxury tax checks. Unless Bron is coming back on a One Dollar salary.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Really don't get the Heat love. Wade is always hurt, they missed the playoffs last year, terrible on D, etc. I'm looking at Milwaukee and Toronto. Assuming Atlanta and Washington take a step back.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Really don't get the Heat love. Wade is always hurt, they missed the playoffs last year, terrible on D, etc. I'm looking at Milwaukee and Toronto. Assuming Atlanta and Washington take a step back.
Dragic, Wade, Winslow, Bosh, and Whiteside could be an incredible starting five. I certainly wouldn't favor them in any capacity due to their health, but they could definitely compete. Certainly need to be healthy though. Also curious to see how Whiteside keeps progressing, dude looks like a monster.

Raptors are about to acquire Cory Joseph. I'm not salty...

Duskoy_sl

shitlord
Uh so the Spurs are going after David West hard.. how the hell can they afford him too? I mean I know Duncan is taking a huge pay cut but damn

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Uh so the Spurs are going after David West hard.. how the hell can they afford him too? I mean I know Duncan is taking a huge pay cut but damn
The veteran's minimum. Pretty sure you can always sign someone to the minimum even if you're over the cap.

Interesting that the Raptors signed Joseph after taking a PG in the draft. Not sure how I feel about him and that contract. I know everything is set to blow up next year, but 4 years at 30 million seems like a lot for someone that's never averaged more than 7 points per game.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Lakers sure are gunning for another shitty year. Even if they get Hibbert and Bass they won't make the playoffs. Getting rid of Swaggy P will help even if to just free up some money.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I still am amazed that Lou Williams won Sixth man. If I was a Lakers fan, I would not be very pleased with the pickup (especially since it's three years). It's not an insane amount of money with the cap rising, I just think he's not even worth that. He's not much different from Nick Young (and Lou is a worse shooter over his career, even).

At least Hibbert has a defensive pedigree and some past success.

DickTrickle

They also might still have the taxpayer's exception which is something like $3M. Still definitely under West's current value but maybe winning would be important enough to him at this stage in his career.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I didn't want Lou back in Toronto. No hard feelings or anything, but he doesn't fit in the type of team I'd want to build. The Lakers are going to be a trainwreck again.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Lakers sure are gunning for another shitty year. Even if they get Hibbert and Bass they won't make the playoffs. Getting rid of Swaggy P will help even if to just free up some money.
Even if they get Hi-bert?! You crazy, maan? I think you mean ESPECIALLY if they get Hi-bert. That dude is done. Like he can barely ride the bench with the same effectiveness as Bynum managed.

Yeah, Lakers looking embarrassing.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I don't get the Hibbert/Rondo hate either. Both are one year deals, both cost nothing, both fill huge holes(Center for the Lakers, patently insane ex-UK buddy for Boogie).

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Agreed. Truth is it really doesn't matter what the Lakers do right now. They're awful before or after these signings. I guess their hope would be to have enough role players sitting around that in the event they can swing for the fences with a trade they do it, but their future is Randle, Russell and whatever they get in the draft over the next couple years. I would be tanking heavy if I was in their shoes to try and keep that pick for next year, but all in all it doesn't matter. They struck out on free agents and just have to rebuild.

Duskoy_sl

shitlord
The veteran's minimum. Pretty sure you can always sign someone to the minimum even if you're over the cap.

Interesting that the Raptors signed Joseph after taking a PG in the draft. Not sure how I feel about him and that contract. I know everything is set to blow up next year, but 4 years at 30 million seems like a lot for someone that's never averaged more than 7 points per game.
I don't see West opting out of his one year 12.6 million deal and signing for league minimum or even close to it. He will command at least 7 - 8 mil a season I would think

Sterling

El Presidente
I don't see West opting out of his one year 12.6 million deal and signing for league minimum or even close to it. He will command at least 7 - 8 mil a season I would think
Would only be a thing if he wanted to play for someone like the Spurs for a short while and go somewhere when the cap goes large.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
West isn't really going to demand anything larger when the cap goes up. I know the relative worth of a player will raise, but David West will also be a year declined. Dude is 34 and has made 88 mil over his career. Does he want more money, or a chance at winning a championship?

Sterling

El Presidente
West isn't really going to demand anything larger when the cap goes up. I know the relative worth of a player will raise, but David West will also be a year declined. Dude is 34 and has made 88 mil over his career. Does he want more money, or a chance at winning a championship?
I get that he'd be on the decline another year, but he'd still get more than the veteran minimum.

DickTrickle

Reggie Jackson gets $80 million over 5 years. He had a pretty good stint in Detroit last year (18/9/5 in 32 minutes) and there's still room for improvement so I'd say it's actually a reasonable enough deal (especially with the cap raising).

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
That contract seems to me like exactly what the Suns did with Brandon Knight. You traded for these players. You made the decision at that point you were going to pay them. Knight had a really good run with the Bucks last year then an awful few games with Phoenix. Similar, Jackson played really well for a small stretch with Detroit (insane passing numbers).

Both are upside contracts and you just hope they pan out.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I've always liked Reggie Jackson and almost wished he hadn't gotten so much spotlight with Westbrook injuries so they could have locked him up long term before everyone realized how good he was, and/or Westbrook didn't break out so much with Durant injuries and prove he's even more talented than we though and needs his own team. I think Westbrook is leaving anyhow. Durant is going to see he risks being left with nothing, and nobody wants their own team to be OKC so he'll probably just leave. In short, OKC gets rid of the wrong guys again.

I think Jackson will keep his performance up, though. He's good. Maybe not 20/10 good, but close, and that's good enough these days.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I would be more than happy to pay Jackson that figure if I already had a core around him in place. Right now Drummond is really the only building block that team has (unless for some reason you think Jennings is better than I do). KCP, Dinwiddie, Quincy Miller. Some youth with upside I guess. Just not a lot of talent overall.

At the same time you can't trade for him and then let him walk, so I get the signing and it's not like Detroit with that team is luring free agents right now anyway.