NBA 2015 Playoffs Thread

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Not just that, but it's going to be difficult to keep a bench that deep for too long. Also, players start to want more...once you win, it becomes less about winning and more about winning on your terms. Iggy might be okay coming off the bench again, but will David Lee? What happens when Green and Barnes want larger roles?
I'm sure they'll be good for the next several seasons, but we'll see if they can reload the role players through FA and the draft like the Spurs did. Kerr certainly has the pedigree to keep it going.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Not just that, but it's going to be difficult to keep a bench that deep for too long. Also, players start to want more...once you win, it becomes less about winning and more about winning on your terms. Iggy might be okay coming off the bench again, but will David Lee? What happens when Green and Barnes want larger roles?
I'm sure they'll be good for the next several seasons, but we'll see if they can reload the role players through FA and the draft like the Spurs did. Kerr certainly has the pedigree to keep it going.
They announced this morning that the team and Lee have decided to try to find a new team for him. It's fine, he literally contributed almost nothing this season regardless of a few decent minutes in the finals. I hated it when they brought Lee in originally for too much money, I saw last year in the Clippers series that Green was destined to start in his place, but I initially defended Lee's ability to contribute when he came back from injury this year. I was wrong on that last part. Almost every time he came on the floor during the season, it was like his crappy D rubbed off on the rest of the team and they became mortal.

That said, I was half hoping they'd just keep him and pay the luxury tax so that his contract could expire after next season going into the great 2016 salary cap ballooning. To get rid of him they'll likely have to give something up. If it's something small (like this year's last pick in the first), fine, otherwise they should just keep him and let the contract expire. Keep the depth and hope he does a better job of contributing next season.

Overall though, they're in a good position to be able to keep the core together for next year, and possibly even add a better piece in 2016 when the cap balloons. The main move this offseason will be matching Green's likely max.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Iggy's giant contract comes up sometime soon doesn't it? I would think keeping a core of Curry/Steph/Green/Iggy would be their priority. I'd put Bogut there too but I don't know feasible it is to keep all of those guys and in truth Green probably means more to their team defense than anyone.

They should be able to replace the other roleplayers with smart decision making. People will want to play their thanks to the success. Barnes is admittedly much better than I ever saw him being, but I could see him being a casualty with what he'll demand with his next contract.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Most of the team is locked up for at least another two years - Curry, Thompson, Iguodala, Livingston. Many other players we'll still have next year - Barnes, Ezeli, Speights. The team is set to be successful for a while.

I think the only contributors who could leave now are Barbosa and Green. And Green is going nowhere.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea. I started big on Mudiay but Russell has just grown on me. I'll take a page from you on this and say take the shooter! Russel is the better shooter coming in and he does look like more of a pure PG. I'd love to have them both heh.

There is some talk that we are eyeing Porzingiz. I don't know much about him but I think it would be a mistake if they passed on Russell. I floated this before but would love to keep 3 and trade back into the top 10 as well. We have a lot of picks next year and might be able make a significant offer. There are some quality players in the 5-10 range for sure.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
It isn't concerning. It is awesome. Porzingis is being compared to KD. Can't wait to mock the team that picks him too high.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Flip practically salivates when he talks about him and this really seemed to coincide with the KG comparisons. I'm so happy we ended up #1 because I think even he knows that would be way too big of a reach.

I'm going to walk away from draft night drunk and pretty upset if we go with Okafor. That pick still won't make me give up on the team until Flip is gone (like anyone outside of Towns/Russel/Okafor would), but it certainly would bother me to see Flip make an executive decision when apparently his entire scouting department is telling him to go with Towns. God, I hate this team.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Hasn't someone started an offseason NBA thread to talk about boring shit like what draft pick may or may not ever contribute in the NBA?

I was hoping we could have more conversations where people get extremely defensive of Lebron James....
frown.png

I think Cleveland is in the worst possible spot where backups got limelight due to injuries and are going to expect to be paid. Sorry, but I'm not convinced Tristan Thompson needs as big a contract as I'm seeing he expects. He's with Lebron's agent, though, and in the inner circle, so my guess is he makes bank. Delly, oh, remember how impressed everyone was with Delly, the new media darling, who really just had one decent offensive game and was in front of Curry on Currys bad night, and now he's gonna want to get paid, too.

Guys on the Warriors just won based on good team ball, so hopefully that will translate to players like Green not leaving to chase a big contract and obscurity anywhere else, because he's the kind of player that could try to be THE guy and end up Lance Stevensing himself.

Curry should have won MVP.

Lebron talks about how he'd rather not make the playoffs then lose in the Finals (yet again). Curry talks about how he just wont the championship and it's motivating him to work harder to get back there. Ol' Klay talking about Curry being the best player in the world. 2 of those 3 sounds bites were embarrassing to watch.

I hope Love leaves the Cavs and ends up on anywhere else. He was fun to watch until he got to the Cavs.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I was hoping we could have more conversations where people get extremely defensive of Lebron James....
frown.png
And I was hoping for more almost fully subjective extreme attacks of Lebron James (and vitriolic negs)...
frown.png

Your logic for the contract situation doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Thompson and Delly will want huge contracts for being solid role players on a losing team but Draymond Green will take less money after he's won a championship that he played a bigger role on than those two guys? I could see Cleveland overpaying for their guys maybe (which may or may not be a terrible decision based on the cap space and whether they could get decent free agents if they didn't sign them) but I don't see the rest of the league overpaying. I would almost ban bet that Thompson doesn't get anywhere near 15 million a year interest from any other team. He just doesn't have the size to get a contract worth much more than his talent.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Agred. And if TTdemandsthat money, for whatever silly reason, it's a pretty easy decision to just let him walk and give that to Love instead. You can talk about Thompson's defensive impact all you want, but even a poorly utilized Love caused him along with Kyrie and LeBron to be the most productive trio in the league this past season. The floor spacing he creates for the other two guys makes him completely worth it.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
DickTrickle, you dumb fuck, people in teh mediaz are already talking about Green giving the Warriors the ol' hometown and/or got-me-a-ring-and-gonna-hope-to-get-more discount. It's not unheard of for smart players that are a part of a smart system to realize they can make more money and build more legend over the long haul by taking less money in the short term to be on a successful team, than chasing a big pay check and fading into obscurity.

Tristan Thompson is represented by Lebron's agent, and there are already rumblings about how Lebron loves to play with him and thinks he's great. Sure way to get over paid is be under the umbrella of the superstar on your team that damn nearly has control of the entire organization.

I don't think Love will stay, so maybe Tristan is their best bet. He at least plays hard and is included in Lebron's inner circle, meaning Lebron isn't awkwardly passive-aggressive toward him and so goes Lebron's perception, so goes the world.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Lol, you're such an angry neckbeard. It's a good thing media rumors are always true. Maybe you should start quoting Stephen A. Smith or Skip Bayless.

In any case, hometown discounts are way less common in young players on a second round contact who haven't gotten a big payday yet. Let's circle back on this in the off season thread when he signs. I bet he stays with the warriors but only because they'll match any offer sheet, not because they get him for a discount.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
And I was hoping for more almost fully subjective extreme attacks of Lebron James (and vitriolic negs)...
frown.png

Your logic for the contract situation doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Thompsonand Dellywill want huge contracts for being solid role players on a losing team but Draymond Green will take less money after he's won a championship that he played a bigger role on than those two guys? I could see Cleveland overpaying for their guys maybe (which may or may not be a terrible decision based on the cap space and whether they could get decent free agents if they didn't sign them) but I don't see the rest of the league overpaying. I would almost ban bet that Thompson doesn't get anywhere near 15 million a year interest from any other team. He just doesn't have the size to get a contract worth much more than his talent.
Is this a joke? You really think he deserves a huge contract because Curry had an off shooting night?

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
Or leak information to the media to undermine other players. Lebron should definitely do that. Also, if he ever plays with a monster 7 foot 350 pound center, he should definitely help push him out of town to prove he can do it by himself.
and then do it X2. Lets also not forget that the 7 foot monster is the one that said, its me or him and well. Then years later admitted it was a mistake.