NBA 2016-17 Season Thread - Knicks in 6

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
But that's pretty much been his path to the finals for the past 5+ years anyways. His challenge is no different because Paul George moved from a mediocre Pacers team or Butler moved from a mediocre Bulls team. At least there's still a chance Gordon Hayward signs with the Celtics.
This is very true.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yea sorry I meant Reddick.

I guess the whole revenue increase salary has to increase thing makes sense, if the overall product makes more capital, it has to be spread around to the players too. But at the end of the day these ridiculous contracts for mid level players is NOT a good thing.

If anything Id rather see a top heavy type system where LeBron James and Steph Curry make 58 million a year and Kyle Lowry makes 15 million etc. Reward the all NBA players with massive salaries to give incentive to be great and balance out the poisoned free agency market.

Lowry was all nba third team in 2016, actually. He's actually really good but injured too often.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I thought Lacob doesnt care about luxury tax and is willing to swallow it.

Yet the Warriors just convinced Kevin Durant to take almost 10 less million a year to save like 23 million in luxury tax and have more wiggle room for minimum contracts....

Wtf? Steph gon make 40 million next year while Durant will make 25. LolNBA. KD is either an idiot or the Warriors front office made him feel bad and turned him back into a cupcake in order to save 30 million dollars.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I'm a homer, but you keep bringing up Lowry as an example and his contract makes a lot more sense than others. He's been an All-Star the last three years and is one of the best two-way point guards in the game. Also, as much as Toronto fans love DeMar DeRozan, Lowry was the impetus for their rise over the last few seasons and is the best player on the team. It's also only a 3 year deal which expires the same year as DeRozan and Ibaka. There are a lot of bad deals out there, but that's not one of them.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Having a real hard time getting behind Thib's post Butler moves. We're unquestionably a better team simply because of Jimmy, but Teague for 18 million a year, Taj Gibson for 14 million. I don't hate either of those players. And they might even be improvements (emphasis on might), but the real question is how much. How much better will Teague be than Rubio who is on the same contract length at 4 million a year less? How much better will Taj be as a starter than just plugging Dieng there for another year without having to take up 14 million in space. Ditch those two moves and you're talking about having 18ish million to spend (25ish if we dump Aldrich along with a draft pick on someone) to fill out the roster. Right now we have one exception and vet minimums to fill out five spots and there isn't a single backup wing on the roster.

I think Teague/Wiggins/Butler/Taj/Towns may be slightly better than Rubio/Wiggins/Butler/Dieng/Towns but the latter is certainly going to have a much superior bench, leading to a better overall team.

I would have gone all in on Millsap. Pay him a bit more than that Nuggets offers for the same length. His option year is the same offseason we have to pay Towns big money so it doesn't get in the way of our young core and makes us an incredibly competitive team for a 2-3 year stretch. Instead we're going to be in a big competition for the bottom half of the western playoffs with the other 5 teams competing for those 4 spots.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Wolves have a ton of resources tied up into the front court now with Towns, Dieng, Gibson, just drafted Patton etc. A lot of money there. Luckily the Teague & Gibson deals are only 2 & 3 years in length.

Jozu

Yeah, I'm a homer, but you keep bringing up Lowry as an example and his contract makes a lot more sense than others. He's been an All-Star the last three years and is one of the best two-way point guards in the game. Also, as much as Toronto fans love DeMar DeRozan, Lowry was the impetus for their rise over the last few seasons and is the best player on the team. It's also only a 3 year deal which expires the same year as DeRozan and Ibaka. There are a lot of bad deals out there, but that's not one of them.

You're fucking insane if you think thats not a bad deal. 30 million a year for Kyle fucking Lowry? I never said he wasnt a good player. In fact he is above average, an all star when he can stay healthy, as he has only completed one full 82 game season is his ENTIRE CAREER. He is also 31 years old. He also averaged less assists last year than Lebron James. He has only averaged more than 20 pts a game for the last 2 seasons (22 pts per). Hes finsihed over .400 in 3P% just once in his career, last year at .412.

He is pretty good on defense, that you cant take away from him. He averaged more than 2 steals a game a year ago, and has helped cover how bad DeRozan was as a defender. But 33 million a year? Really? For what? 15 is obviously a low number that is unfair in todays market but you cant be serious and think this guy deserves more money than Durant. He isnt even a top 20 player in the league for fucks sake.

Maybe 21 million a year? Like a JJ Reddick range? He is overpaid and if he gets hurt next year, ohhhhhh, boy.

Last edited:

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
In the tiers of PGs Lowry isn't quite at the level of Curry/Westbrook/CP3. He's in that tier below with the rest of the good 1s in the league (Conley/Lillard/Kemba/Wall/Kyrie).

Contracts that size are all relative. Once the Raptors made the decision to bring back Ibaka, they're over the cap anyway, right? They could have paid Lowry 1 trillion dollars a year and it wouldn't matter. Also, he had interest from other teams. If the Raptors don't pay him 30 million, the Wolves will. The reason it's a good deal, is exactly because of what Djay explained. The contract length is the same length as their other big money makers. They can blow it all up and start over in 3 years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Hayward signs with the Celtics, and they keep all those assets. Big time get for them.

Edit: ok so apparently he hasn't maybe reached a decision

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
NBA contracts are literally out of pocket.

Remember back in like 1998 when Allen Iverson was delighting crowds, crossing people up, and winning scoring titles and shit in the late 90's? Im pretty sure he never made more than 12 million a year. Shaquille O'Neal was making 17 million in 2000, the highest payed player in the league, and at the pinnacle of his powers.

Obviously that was 17 years ago and the TV deals have drastically altered the market, but when a guy like Kyle Lowry can clock 33 million a year, and when you had the glut of ridiculous contracts last year, its obvious this has to go in the other direction. Something has to give with how these contracts are being given out because it hasnt helped the league in terms of competitiveness. Its good for those players specifically, but not to the teams as a whole.

Remember when rookie contracts were starting to destroy the NFL a few years ago? Thats whats starting to happen here with the amount of money teams have to pay on the market to secure players. If you pay Kyle Korver 24 million a year or whatever the fuck hes making, a guy like Conley or Lowry is going to get the numbers they are getting. Its disgusting. Kyle Lowry is worth maybe 10 million dollars a year at worse, and 15 at best. Instead he will get near 35. LOL.

Salary cap is a fixed % of revenue and the max a player can be paid is a fixed % of that plus how long they've been with the team/league.

Contracts are going up because NBA's making more money, but the percentages are staying the same

Jozu

Salary cap is a fixed % of revenue and the max a player can be paid is a fixed % of that plus how long they've been with the team/league.

Contracts are going up because NBA's making more money, but the percentages are staying the same

I get you, and I will relent that there are much worse contracts out there than Lowry's. Its just astonishing given what we saw last year with mid level guys cashing out on ridiculous contracts.

So that just paved the way for the current temparature of modern NBA contracts. I understand. Revenue goes up, salary goes up. Im just saying its incredible how much money a mid level NBA free agent can command now a days due to these circumstances.

What is Heyward going to sign for? 28 million a year over 3 years? He is a fantastic SG and probably the 2nd best white guy in the league after Porzingis, but is Gordon really a 30 million dollar per type of asset??? NO. Like I said LeBron James, Curry, Westbrook, Harden, Anthony Davis should be making 60 million a year or whatever and then split the rest to the mid level guys. Durant just took a huge paycut due to Iggys bloated ass deal. Cmon this trend has to stop.

DickTrickle

I get you, and I will relent that there are much worse contracts out there than Lowry's. Its just astonishing given what we saw last year with mid level guys cashing out on ridiculous contracts.

So that just paved the way for the current temparature of modern NBA contracts. I understand. Revenue goes up, salary goes up. Im just saying its incredible how much money a mid level NBA free agent can command now a days due to these circumstances.

What is Heyward going to sign for? 28 million a year over 3 years? He is a fantastic SG and probably the 2nd best white guy in the league after Porzingis, but is Gordon really a 30 million dollar per type of asset??? NO. Like I said LeBron James, Curry, Westbrook, Harden, Anthony Davis should be making 60 million a year or whatever and then split the rest to the mid level guys. Durant just took a huge paycut due to Iggys bloated ass deal. Cmon this trend has to stop.

There are some incentives in the CBA for being one of those top tier players. Those who get an NBA all team or MVP/DPoY can get much bigger pay bumps from their current team. Curry was able to get 44 million more than a normal max player would. So, that does something in terms of getting those guys money without letting idiot teams overbid. But, yeah, the true superstars are still underpaid relative to their actual worth.

I just don't get calling an All-Star a mid level guy. There's only 24 All-Stars a year out of roughly 400 NBA players over the course of a season. Hayward is not a mid level guy. Guys like Tristan Thompson, Mozgov, or Otto Porter are. Those are contracts that seem more ridiculous. Or talking about max contracts, Demar DeRozan seems like a joke to me. Played poor D most of his career and doesn't have a three point shot in the modern NBA? The free throw attempts are good but we saw how that shit changed in the playoffs. At least someone like DWade could D you up in his prime, regardless of how his offensive game was going.

Jozu

Yea your right. I just dont like Kyle Lowry I guess lol.

I admitted he wasnt a great example, Mozgov though is a great one.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Mozgov wouldn't get that contract this year. Last year teams went really nuts with the massive increase in cap space. It gave any and all free agents a lot of leverage because nearly every team in the league had 20 million+ of cap space. It was really a unique situation. I'm not defending a team like the Lakers for giving out those deals. Mozgov and Deng's contracts were both atrocious, but it's why it happened. There were only so many free agents and every team in the league (except like the Clippers and Warriors I think?) had money to sign them.

DickTrickle

I think at that point you just have to pass. Or, not offer as many years. I think that's the true issue with some of those contracts last year. Not the money, but the years. You don't want to be tied up in contracts with mid level players for four years when you're rebuilding. I mean, that shit basically cost them Deangelo Russell. If they weren't worried about dumping salary, I'm sure they could have gotten a better deal for him.