NBA 2016-17 Season Thread - Knicks in 6

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I apologize but seriously isnt him winning a title in epic fasion over the greatest team ever for CLEVELAND enough for him to get a pass on his 2nd departure?

No rings when he left before. They have a chip now, the basketball gods have blessed LeBron and he is probably going to keep it moving after mission accomplished in the land.

What more do you want? 2? 3? The fact they even beat GS last year was a miracle. The guy did it. The impossible. God hates Cleveland and he still willed them to a title (with Kyries help of course).

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
all the bananaboat contracts line up the year after this season I believe

lebron
paul
wade
anthony

Pigbenis

Molten Core Raider
I apologize but seriously isnt him winning a title in epic fasion over the greatest team ever for CLEVELAND enough for him to get a pass on his 2nd departure?

No rings when he left before. They have a chip now, the basketball gods have blessed LeBron and he is probably going to keep it moving after mission accomplished in the land.

What more do you want? 2? 3? The fact they even beat GS last year was a miracle. The guy did it. The impossible. God hates Cleveland and he still willed them to a title (with Kyries help of course).
Yeah, no I'm over it. I'm honestly at a point where I almost welcome the cloud of negativity that follows him around leaving. Does it mean we fade back into NBA obscurity? Most definitely, but we got a title out of it.

Last edited:

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Maybe they'll just delete the Eastern Conference. Waste of time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Gonna be really sad when multiple WC teams miss the playoffs when they could beat 3-8 of the EC. Oh well!

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Is millsap really making 30 mill a year? Wouldn't that make him the 2nd highest player in the NBA for single year?

DickTrickle

Is millsap really making 30 mill a year? Wouldn't that make him the 2nd highest player in the NBA for single year?

Don't think so. Paul and Curry will be higher. Lowry's at 33. Durant will probably be over 30. Conley and Lebron are a bit over 30. In the new few years, there will be a lot more over 30.

You have to adjust your mindset to the new era of NBA contracts.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Thought Conley was too?

Just looked it up. Over 30 for the average, but he doesn't hit that for an actual year until his third year. A lot of these contracts are probably like that, so Millsap's may not actually be 30 this year, but will average it.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I think the Eastern Conference disparity is hilarious. You'd think one of these top guys would realize staying or going to the East gives pretty much a free pass to the ECF. Hell, that was probably part of Lowry's thinking in staying put. Boston didn't turn those assets into anything. LeBron might leave next year. 76ers are probably still 3 years away if everyone stays healthy. Toronto Raptors confirmed 2019 NBA Eastern Conference Finals Champions!

Jozu

NBA contracts are literally out of pocket.

Remember back in like 1998 when Allen Iverson was delighting crowds, crossing people up, and winning scoring titles and shit in the late 90's? Im pretty sure he never made more than 12 million a year. Shaquille O'Neal was making 17 million in 2000, the highest payed player in the league, and at the pinnacle of his powers.

Obviously that was 17 years ago and the TV deals have drastically altered the market, but when a guy like Kyle Lowry can clock 33 million a year, and when you had the glut of ridiculous contracts last year, its obvious this has to go in the other direction. Something has to give with how these contracts are being given out because it hasnt helped the league in terms of competitiveness. Its good for those players specifically, but not to the teams as a whole.

Remember when rookie contracts were starting to destroy the NFL a few years ago? Thats whats starting to happen here with the amount of money teams have to pay on the market to secure players. If you pay Kyle Korver 24 million a year or whatever the fuck hes making, a guy like Conley or Lowry is going to get the numbers they are getting. Its disgusting. Kyle Lowry is worth maybe 10 million dollars a year at worse, and 15 at best. Instead he will get near 35. LOL.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Apparently, no one learned from the horrors of last year which should go down in the pages of NBA history as a clinic in incompetence. Teams are tossing millstones around their necks by giving average to above average players these huge deals that they will then be using young assets to try and trade away a year or two later. How is Millsap getting 90 million and Otto Porter getting a max offer? It's insanity.

DickTrickle

Millsap is actually a very good player. He's been an All-Star the last four years and he's a very good defensive player (which usually gets overlooked in these type of discussions). He is on the older side, though. Putting him in the same breath as Porter is a joke. It's definitely unclear that he's capable of being more than a third option. That said, Porter is still young. A max deal definitely seems like too much, but it's not as if it's a Mozgov contract.

That said, saying someone is worth 10 or 15 max is silly. It's all relative to cap and revenue. Why did the cap explode? Because revenue exploded. I never see any of you guys complaining about how the owners need to have their profits capped. And comparing to the NFL is kind of silly because it's 12-15 players vs 53 (with only like a 60 million cap difference). So, yeah, massive contracts in the NFL are going to hurt teams more than in the NBA, especially with being able to go over the cap with Bird rights or exceptions.

Btw, Korver got 22 over three years. Not bad. Maybe you're thinking of Redick, jozu. He got a one year 23 million contract because, guess what, Philly had to to get to the minimum cap amount. All those rookies contracts don't add up to the required floor that owners must spend.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
There are about 6 teams that should actually try to win, and the other 24 should absolutely just tank their lives away. That's how bad the parity is in the game currently. Then again the game has always been built on its Top 5-10 players, as a huge amount of fans follow players and not teams themselves. Hence why the bottom teams are so awful and no one watches.

The NBA offseason is dramatically more entertaining than the on court product.

Jozu

Yea sorry I meant Reddick.

I guess the whole revenue increase salary has to increase thing makes sense, if the overall product makes more capital, it has to be spread around to the players too. But at the end of the day these ridiculous contracts for mid level players is NOT a good thing.

If anything Id rather see a top heavy type system where LeBron James and Steph Curry make 58 million a year and Kyle Lowry makes 15 million etc. Reward the all NBA players with massive salaries to give incentive to be great and balance out the poisoned free agency market.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
But that's pretty much been his path to the finals for the past 5+ years anyways. His challenge is no different because Paul George moved from a mediocre Pacers team or Butler moved from a mediocre Bulls team. At least there's still a chance Gordon Hayward signs with the Celtics.