NBA 2017-2018 Season Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The break couldn't have gotten here sooner. Warriors have looked so sluggish lately. Really don't want Rockets to secure the #1 seed.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
I wouldn't mind seeing the Rockets get the 1 seed. Our guys seem to need extra motivation this year, more people getting behind the Rockets could help with that. Team has enough talent that they should be able to win any series even without home court.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its not the length of time he is injured, its the nature of the injuries and the recovery time associated with them.

Jozu

That was the worse national anthem I ever heard. Adding inflections, highs lows, and drawls is such a bad idea for our national anthem. Marvin Gaye's NBA All Star game rendition was the way to do it if you were going to go for something different and take a risk.

Great basketball was played last night. LeBron James is 33 years old! Ive never seen something like this in my life where a guy who is at that age, with all the minutes he has played, is somehow becoming MORE dominant as he ages. When you watched the best players in the world all on the same court last night, James was by far the most explosive, skilled and energetic player on the floor. Your talking the same floor as Russel Westbrook, Kyrie Irving, James Harden, Giannis etc. All of those guys are in their prime or much younger than LeBron, yet LeBron is playing harder, faster and better than them all.

At some point the performance enhancing drug discussion has to come up because this isnt fucking normal. When is James going to start to slow down? Next year at 34? 2020? I mean I dont just see him falling off unless he suffers a terrible injury. What he is doing this season is fucking stupid. Look at the guys numbers. He is averaging almost 30 a game 8 rebounds and 8 assists a game, with a steal and a block per to boot. You could argue he is also the best defensive player in the league right now as well, which is unbelievable.

Think about it, 3 years ago Curry was on the rise after winning the title, and unanimous MVP, with all of the talking heads saying he is the new alpha dog of the league, and LeBrons reign was over. The following year he dethrones Curry and the Warriors, beating the best squad in NBA history, and is now clearly the best player in the world again (or never wasnt). He took it personal when people were saying Curry was coming for his throne, and he is still sitting on it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's also incredible that he's really never been injured. With all the finals appearances and the fact he came straight out of HS he's played an ungodly number of minutes. He's either got incredible PEDs or he's not human (or both).

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I just think he's a genetic freak that we rarely see the likes of. Like Mike Trout in baseball. No dude that strong should be that fast and agile. Unfortunately he plays for a garbage team in baseball and he might never win anything.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
And let's be honest, he was trying harder than some of those other guys last night. All Star games aren't necessarily a great comparison of anything.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
At some point the performance enhancing drug discussion has to come up because this isnt fucking normal.
Every professional athlete is on something. To believe otherwise is just naive.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Whether or not he is on something I did read some article that he spends one or two million a year just in staying in shape and healthy. Trying new shit. His diet. Etc etc. I mean if you follow him on any kind of social media the guy is almost always working out, even during the summer.

So I think it's a mix of a lot of things: genetics for sure. Luck. Work. The big one though is that I think he went in at 18 thinking about being 35. He watched guys just fall apart past a certain age and was determined to not that happen to him. Combine that with the tech advances in medicine and nutrition and recovery it kind of makes sense.

Especially when you consider a lot of the other players who just disintegrate when they got older had super bad habits, often spent all summer fucking around and didn't give as much of a fuck at all.

Derrick Rose was notorious for eating McDonald's and candy all day and Shaq and others would come into camp looking like walruses.

It's awesome though. I wonder how long he can keep doing it.

Edit: found it Tyronn Lue On The One Thing That LeBron Doesn't Get Nearly Enough Credit For

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

This shit had me rolling.

Fergie-Colin-Kaepernick.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Szlia

LeBron James is 33 years old! Ive never seen something like this in my life where a guy who is at that age, with all the minutes he has played, is somehow becoming MORE dominant as he ages.

In other news, Federer, 36, climbed back to the top of the pile in tennis this week-end becoming the oldest World N°1 in the Open era. Since his return from injury at the start of last year, he won 64 of the 69 matches he played...

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
In other news, Federer, 36, climbed back to the top of the pile in tennis this week-end becoming the oldest World N°1 in the Open era. Since his return from injury at the start of last year, he won 64 of the 69 matches he played...

Alex Ovechkin, 32, leading the NHL in goals yet again...trying to become only the 5th player to score 50 in a season at age 32 or older (and the only other modern guy to do it is Jagr).

Jozu

So you guys ARE saying these guys are on caseloads of hgh.

Maybe LeBron is clean but he definitely sacrifices young tigers and bathes in their blood on trips to Cambodia before hitting Germany for some platelet infusions in the off-season or something because what he is doing this year is incredible.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I think the bar has just moved up a couple years on what is considered old in sports. 32 or so used to signal the decline. Now it looks like 35.

• 1Like