NBA 2017-2018 Season Thread

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
ESPN's list came out of top 50. Too many names I disagree with on here.
Would not add:
Karl Malone
Patrick Ewing
Kevin Garnett
George Gervin
George Mikan
Paul Peirce

50.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Granted I never saw most of the guys that were removed play, but if I had to argue one thing about this new list its removing Clyde Drexler for Ray Allen. Ray Allen is one of the best shooters to ever play, but Drexler was a better all around player - better rebounder, passer, defender. Led a team to the finals and had a pretty competitive series with Jordan. Ray Allen never came close to leading a team anywhere until he joined the Celtics (where he didn't lead the team but was in the perfect situation for himself to be the 3rd best player on a great team.)

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Much rather have Ray Allen on there than Reggie Miller. Miller only ever provided shooting to the teams he was on. Sure, it was first class, but he was too one dimensional. He gets too much credit for his couple great playoff stints. I think Allen Iverson is a stretch but at least he could be a force of nature at times.

Garnett absolutely belongs -- the guy was multi-faceted offensively and a top #1-3 defender for much of his career. How many guys were on the all defensive team 12 times?

• 1Solidarity

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
You can argue Miller vs. Allen, I don't think there's a lot of difference. Miller was arguably a better defender, and a more efficient scorer. His career TS% of 0.6139 is 7th highest all time and 2nd highest for a guard behind only Steph who is currently at 0.6162. Ray Allen is #52 on the list with 0.5801. Neither guy was ever the best player on a great team. But I think Drexler was a better all around player than either of them.

Agree Iverson is a bit of a stretch. I'd take GP over him for any team.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Teague is looking like a 19 million dollar mistake so far. Tyus Jones is our best PG atm. Thankfully it is only the second game of the season and these guys haven't had time to gel yet.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Warriors played really sloppy tonight. Surprised they were even in this thing until the closing minutes. 1-2. Will probably miss playoffs.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Holy Fuck, what a game. Wiggins!

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Teague looked much better in that Thunder game, but then of course we followed it up with an absolute stinker at home against Indiana. Without Butler but still can't let that thing happen. I feel like I repeat myself every year a Wolves team with promise shows up. We just can't lose games like that if we want to make the playoffs.

The only real spin I can give on the season so far is that I think we lose both the Utah and Thunder games on any of the Wolves teams of the last decade (only team that even stands a chance is that Kirilenko/Love Adelman coached team that won 40 games). We sucked in crunch time moments in both of those games but somehow the talent on this team was able to pull it out. That's just not something you've been able to say about the Wolves since KG and Cassell.

Additionally, I think this team gels more with time. You just hope they can hover over .500 before they really hit their stride and it isn't a situation where we're trying to make up 5 or 6 games to get into the west playoff race at the all star break or something like that.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
ESPN's list came out of top 50. Too many names I disagree with on here.
Would not add:
Karl Malone
Patrick Ewing
Kevin Garnett
George Gervin
George Mikan
Paul Peirce

View attachment 155055

Garnett definitely deserves to be there. So does Malone. Mikan was the first big man, so it's hard to say with how different of a game it was...Gervin is borderline. Reggie Miller and Wade would not make it for me. Iverson probably wouldn't either. Clyde Drexler should still be on there. Sam Jones should probably still be there and probably Dave Cowens. Pistol Pete Maravich was taken off? He should still be there. Unseld, Walton, and Worthy should be, too. Pierce probably doesn't make it ahead of any of those 3 for me. Allen is borderline...Kidd and Nash probably should be there, but not as clear-cut. Wait...Chris Paul isn't on there? He's definitely ahead of those 2 for me.

Interesting to talk about, but it really is so hard to compare eras. For me, you have to have Bird, Magic, Jordan, LeBron, Hakeem, Duncan, Abdul-Jabbar, Russell, and Chamberlain. Those are Tier 1 for me...then you have guys like Thomas, Paul, West, Robertson, Stockton, D. Robinson, and Garnett. After that I think talent level and eras make the conversation a lot more open. Bryant, Shaq, K. Malone, and Barkley all fall in there somewhere, but it's hard to say where Barry, E. Malone, M. Malone, Maravich, Baylor, S. Jones, Cousy, Frazier, Ewing, Havlicek, Pettit, McHale, and a lot of those types land.

Junky

Lord Nagafen Raider
I see a trend here with the Wolves...they show up for tougher competition...then produce duds like the Indiana game...albeit without Butler. Thibs had to lose sum sleep after that game being the quote defensive genius he is.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Take Scottie Pippen off that list. Dude was a shit tier player without Jordan and Grant carrying his weak ass rebounding and inside game.

• 1Picard
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
As a Bulls fan I'm not 100% certain that Pippen should still be on that list. But the dude was a great player in his own right. An amazing defender and he sure as hell showed he could carry a team pretty far without MJ around.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Holy shit, if Embiid & Simmons can stay healthy.. It's a big ask, but Jesus that's an ultra-talented duo.

Alright Mavs, let's look good DSjr. & Noel. Gotta construct that perfect Rich Paul plan and send Noel and change to the Cavs for that Nets pick, then land an additional Top 5.