NBA 2017-2018 Season Thread

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Simmons on the 76ers might be that guy. He just needs to develop a jump shot, but for what he lacks there he makes up for in spades in other areas.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I wonder if Giannis can be that guy. It appears from a pure athletic/skill/all-world talent standpoint he can be. We shall see. Nike just invested in him, probably seeing the writing on the wall. Now let's just see how he does from the pop culture/social stand point. Getting in a better situation would help.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
If the next Bird, Magic, Michael, or LeBron were in the league right now...we'd have a much better idea on who that was. Giannis and Simmons might be MVPs eventually, but they're not Top 5 All-Time players.

It will happen, but, just like with MJ, the media will crown 20 "next LBJs" before someone breaks the mold and becomes the first _______.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I like Giannis and Simmons. Giannis turning down working out with LBJ seems like a move designed to show his independence and I think that's a good step for him. One thing necessary for that process is either LBJ retiring or going to shit which is probably still few years out. Kids aren't going to replace LBJ until that option is gone. They talked about thinking Durant would be that guy a few years ago but that's not how it works. They have been looking for their next conversation series(keep their jobs) while we just want to watch excellence from all corners.

Edit- Kyrie was always going to be better outside of LBJ's shadow. Having two coaches always telling you what to do must have been hard. Who knows when LBJ will break down but Kyrie would have always been in his shadow and he's too talented to stay there. Look at how many people shit on Pippen because he always had MJ. Kyrie has amazing ball handling skills and I love seeing him in the green and white.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I mean, Giannis won't keep up 32/10/5 on 60% shooting all year but he certainly looks to be even better than he was last year and those numbers through 10 games are just absolutely insane. I too like what we've seen from Simmons so far, but too early to say for sure he can make that jump. Giannis just needs a jumper and he's certainly in the conversation for could be all team greats.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
If the next Bird, Magic, Michael, or LeBron were in the league right now...we'd have a much better idea on who that was. Giannis and Simmons might be MVPs eventually, but they're not Top 5 All-Time players.

It will happen, but, just like with MJ, the media will crown 20 "next LBJs" before someone breaks the mold and becomes the first _______.

Although I generally agree with this, I could see there being a possible exception for someone such as Giannis? He is only 22 and was extremely raw coming from Greece. I mean, watching him play the Cavs a couple nights ago from a physical standpoint was enthralling. If he can develop the acumen to include, and best use his teammates, my God.

I imagine the league will at least find a Top 20 player all-time in some of these new kids.

But yeah there hasn't been any recent all-universe phenoms in the mold of LBJ, Trout/Harper, Manning. At least none that are immediately apparent.

LBJ is truly an amazing guy. They discussed who is the next superstar that replaces him in kid's dreams on ESPN and had no up;coming answers. I tend to agree but it's still early. For my generation, we will always have the shot. Not by Pippen...but by the GOAT.

3909741053_026d2f4f5f.jpg

Back when they all wore leather helmets and rushing won championships.

• 1Worf
  • 1Cutler
Reactions: 1 users

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I think Giannis and Towns are the only two players in the league right now that have like for sure hall of fame level potential. Towns might be slipping a little bit there too as he continues to get exposed on defense.

I'm not going to give Simmons that same praise after just 11 games, but if he averages 18/9/8 all year you'd have to think he jumps into that discussion soon.

The truth is there just really hasn't been a recruit with the same level of hype LeBron had. Since 1990 there has only really been 3 of those going into draft night absolutely can't miss guys. Shaq, Duncan and then LeBron. After that Oden and Simmons would be the closest from a hype perspective. I mean even the next two drafts (Bamba/Ayton/Porter/Bagley/Doncic and then Barrett/Zion) have good prospects but no one at that hype level.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I'd add Embiid into that "Surefire Hall of Fame" category if you could promise me he could play full minutes and stay healthy for a good stretch (huge if). I absolutely love his game, and he could be ultra-dominant on both ends.

I remember watching him at Kansas and listening to a Bill Simmons - Rose podcast where they thought Embiid was good, but not as good as Dwight Howard coming out. Hahaha. Fucking Embiid has a better arsenal at 18, than Dwight ever had.

Junky

Lord Nagafen Raider
KAT needs to start getting mean...U can see the unlimited potential if u watch Wolves games...he just is playing too soft in my opinion. The Pelicans game really showed his weakness...Davis n Cousins were bullying him.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
How do you guys fail to mention Anthony Davis?

Dude is a fuckin stud. Don't hate on the brow.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah Towns is looking more and more like a low swag pushover. Sad too because he already has some market appeal and some commercial deals, and is a likable guy. He is just too passive on defense and doesnt play with high intensity. Watch him then watch Westbrook.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Comparing anyone to Westbrook is unfavorable in that regard.

Thursday night's game with Dubs-Celts should be a good one.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah Towns is looking more and more like a low swag pushover. Sad too because he already has some market appeal and some commercial deals, and is a likable guy. He is just too passive on defense and doesnt play with high intensity. Watch him then watch Westbrook.
So I mean lets say this holds true and Towns never really improves on defense. He's essentially a newer version of Dirk at that point then. Is that a low swag pushover? I think he's still a pretty amazing player even if his defense remains at the level it is now (fingers crossed it doesn't).

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I like Big Kat Towns and when I said low swag pushover I meant he doesnt seem like he has the killer instinct. He is like a Dirk type player, plays with touch, knows where to be and when, high basketball IQ, but I think he needs to hang out with DeMarcus Cousins or something during the offseason and start trash talking and posterizing motherfuckers.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, it's one thing for Dirk to be that way because his physical skills would never allow him to be a certain kind of player defensively. Towns' physical skills are much higher so you would think he could do better.