NBA 2019-2020 Season: Kawhi Saved Us

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Just about every ex-player NBA "analyst" is calling the dude the most exciting thing in basketball. Sure, he won't glide down the court and have these Jordan-esque dunks and what not, but dude cooking guys alive like a 6'8" Steph Curry is fairly exciting. Mavs sniff 46-50 wins, dude better win MVP. Giannis' impending 27ppg, 13 reb shit is gonna be amazing, but when you can't shoot in the playoffs, you better fucking bring it.

The Mavs FO is more likely to accidentally contract team-wide AIDS, but if there was some chance the Bucks suck in the Finals, the Mavs could have a shot at Giannis in '21. Jesus. That would be some super team bullshit. Mavs FA pursuits have been self-inflicted gunshot wound bad, but Luka will probably at least appeal and bring in a solid 3rd option wing eventually to really help this team compete.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
If you think the NBA isn't looking for the next Larry Bird you're crazy. If Luka was Bill Smith from the corn field, back waters of Nebraska...He'd be Jesus Christ.

Why would the NBA be looking for the next Larry Bird? Why would it treated like a miracle of biblical proportions if a white, American player of Luka's talent broke into the scene?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Why would the NBA be looking for the next Larry Bird? Why would it treated like a miracle of biblical proportions if a white, American player of Luka's talent broke into the scene?

I forget where I read it, but the NBA fan demographic is like 65% minority now? As opposed to the 80-90's it was like 60% white. Plenty room to draw in more white males and up their numbers.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I forget where I read it, but the NBA fan demographic is like 65% minority now? As opposed to the 80-90's it was like 60% white. Plenty room to draw in more white males and up their numbers.

Ah, so the NBA has shifted from a majority of fans being white to being minority. And you think it would help bring in more white fans of the NBA could have a new Bird type of player. But there haven't been such players. So, apparently the NBA is having a hard time marketing black players to white audiences? Or, what is keeping white men from the sport?

Oh, and very unrelated, of course, my observing demographics and suggesting struggles with marketing white players to majority minority audiences is somehow a conspiracy about holding the white man down that you'd have to be crazy to believe?

So, the NBA needs a white hope to draw in white audiences, and also suggestions the NBA struggles to market white players to predominantly minority audiences is a conspiracy theory.

Well, damn, thanks for clearing that up!

You know, you almost sounds racist....

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Ah, so the NBA has shifted from a majority of fans being white to being minority. And you think it would help bring in more white fans of the NBA could have a new Bird type of player. But there haven't been such players. So, apparently the NBA is having a hard time marketing black players to white audiences? Or, what is keeping white men from the sport?

Oh, and very unrelated, of course, my observing demographics and suggesting struggles with marketing white players to majority minority audiences is somehow a conspiracy about holding the white man down that you'd have to be crazy to believe?

So, the NBA needs a white hope to draw in white audiences, and also suggestions the NBA struggles to market white players to predominantly minority audiences is a conspiracy theory.

Well, damn, thanks for clearing that up!

You know, you almost sounds racist....

Your point was if Luka was black the NBA would have him hyped to high hell. I counter this with he is still not exciting enough, and from Europe, black or white. Excitement being the larger of the two issues IMO.

Excitement comes in many flavors. That look away pass. That clutch 3 to seal a win in a series. That high flying dunk. He will definitely nail some aspects of this obviously that will elevate him to must see status once the playoffs come around. Until then, he's not going to be hyped like you want.

You asked the question about the next Larry Bird...I answered with probably THE answer to your question.

The NBA is marketing what they have been given as their best most exciting players, and it's working. The demographic has changed over the years because the next generation can identify with said player. But the NBA did not go out looking for the black guy to make a billionaire. They run with what they have, and it worked out that way.

Let me state this. The NBA is about the exciting play and players. That's who the fans want to see. (showing my age here) I'm not going to see boring ass Jason Kidd get his triple double. I WILL go and see Iverson get his triple double though. I'm not going to see Stockon (he HAPPENS to be white I know) and Malone. I WILL go see Jordan and Pippen. ALL HOF players. Just some are more must see than others.

Sterling

El Presidente
Some people prefer Michael Bay movies to Denis Villeneuve movies too so it's certainly not a unique opinion.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
To Brahma Brahma point the NBA NEVER hyped Duncan in a way commensurate with his talent or achievements. But the dude just kept winning rings. If Luka becomes that I’ll more than take it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Clippers eating Mavs alive defensively. Then again, they are going to eat anyone alive when they actually run their full lineup out. They are going to suffocate everyone in the postseason.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Clippers eating Mavs alive defensively. Then again, they are going to eat anyone alive when they actually run their full lineup out. They are going to suffocate everyone in the postseason.
Yeah they're unreal around the perimeter.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
BTW, these Mavs city jerseys look like a sack of dog shit. Look retarded, play retarded.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Really unsure why Seth Curry doesn't play more. Not like this team plays defense anyways! Hard to question Carlisle's genius, but all these different rotations can be frustrating.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

Clippers were so good tonight, best defense I’ve seen in a long time. Upside of that team is crazy

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Another day, another game Luka goes 42 pts, 11 asts, 9 reb and shoots 50%. Mavs played some big boy ball against Phoenix tonight (very physical game, KP showing some fight). KP was brain dead on offense but really killed it on the boards and on defense. Definitely need that when he is rusty as fuck. Don't look now but Hardaway Jr. is shooting 43% FG, and 39% from three over the last 10 games. If you get that, this team might be a middle of the pack Western Conference playoff team.

Would like Luka to clean up the 3's a bit, but when you can score in the paint any time you want to, it's hard to fault him heaving them up.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Really hard to not dream on a Giannis-Mavericks marriage after next year. Luka with the ball, Giannis pick-n-roll running to the rim, KP a stretch 5 who can pull bigs out of the paint. Just unstoppable. Plus the majority of this bench is under contract for 3 years. A bit pipedream-ish, but if he deems the Bucks can't quite compete with the next couples years of the Clippers, Lakers, and inevitable Curry, Thompson, Green + Top 5 pick Warriors... Who knows.

Great win regardless. Just shows how amazing the Clippers are.

• 1Like