NCAA Basketball 2013-14

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Jesus... If K State could actually make a fucking shot they'd be up. But they can't make a damn 5 ft. jumper to save their lives.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Louisville playing like absolute shit again. Did they blow their whole wad on the AAC tournament?

Edit: Looks like they may have finally took their heads out their asses and woke the fuck up.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
It's been a low scoring affair but this Dayton-'Cuse game has gotten good. The Flyers are putting on a clinic on how to attack the zone.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Syracuse is so fucking bad it's painful to watch. So many missed easy fucking shots, so many missed free throws.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So is this a result of poor seeding, or just lots of upsets?

Syracuse down to Dayton with a minute left, and Oregon up 12 on Wisconsin at the half...in addition to all the upsets we've had.

Royal

So is this a result of poor seeding, or just lots of upsets?

Syracuse down to Dayton with a minute left, and Oregon up 12 on Wisconsin at the half...in addition to all the upsets we've had.
The Tournament is all about match-ups; how well the individual team's strengths match up to their opponent's weaknesses. This year just had what seems to have been more lower seeded teams that matched up well to the higher seeds. There was no clear cut best team this year and the disparity between the collection of teams at the top and those at the bottom just wasn't very great.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I am contemplating if I even want Louisville to go to the ACC at this rate with all the loses. But I guess it'll be fine since they'll get better seedings just for being in the ACC afterall. Gotta love that bias!

Royal

I am contemplating if I even want Louisville to go to the ACC at this rate with all the loses. But I guess it'll be fine since they'll get better seedings just for being in the ACC afterall. Gotta love that bias!
I think the only overseed the ACC had this year was NC State, which was borderline to get a bid at all. Duke get's overseeded a lot, but that's because they're Duke/Coach K.

The advantage of being in the ACC is what it can do for a team's RPI and the opportunities it gives a team play their way into the tournament late in the season.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I really REALLY dislike the move to the ACC, I would have much rather stayed in the Big East and just let that remain as the best conference in the league. No idea why it was broken up.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I really REALLY dislike the move to the ACC, I would have much rather stayed in the Big East and just let that remain as the best conference in the league. No idea why it was broken up.
You know exactly why it was broken up:

football.jpg

But yeah, thank god this season is over. How the fuck did this same team start 25 - 0? Mind bottling.

Royal

I don't like what's happened to the landscape of college athletics in terms of conference alignment either. At all. I don't even recognize the conference anymore. Hell I'm still trying to get used to Florida State being in the ACC and they joined over 20 years ago. Bloating it up to 16 teams forced the balanced home and away regular season schedule to be abandoned which makes the regular season crown next to meaningless beyond tourny seeding.

The old Big East is a casualty of college athletics having become a business and being run as such. It was created as a primarily basketball conference. When all of the TV money started chasing college football and the other major conferences started expanding to enlarge their geographical footprints, the Big East became vulnerable.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Sorry, but the good ole' Duke and UNC bias really overhypes the ACC every year. The last 2 tournaments have really shown that the ACC is really not that strong in terms of basketball.

Royal

Sorry, but the good ole' Duke and UNC bias really overhypes the ACC every year. The last 2 tournaments have really shown that the ACC is really not that strong in terms of basketball.
I agree that the rivalry has become overhyped in recent years, but that's mostly due to ESPN promoting it like it was the moon landing every year. But that doesn't secure undeservedly high seeds for the rest of the ACC in the tournament. When overseeding happens (and it does, just not so much this year) I personally think it has more to do with the internal politics of the selection committee and the influence of committee members with ACC ties.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I agree that the rivalry has become overhyped in recent years, but that's mostly due to ESPN promoting it like it was the moon landing every year. But that doesn't secure undeservedly high seeds for the rest of the ACC in the tournament. When overseeding happens (and it does, just not so much this year) I personally think it has more to do with the internal politics of the selection committee and the influence of committee members with ACC ties.
That's the issue though... Because of the history of the ACC, they will always be over-seeded and over-represented every year. Duke and UNC for example, no matter of their mediocre record, will always be top seeded. The issue I have is the AAC is made of up the top teams of the Big East, which was known the to best best for the past 10 years (even though the Big East this year sucks and is a shell of it former self, but yet seeded). However, the AAC gets no credit at all because of the lack of sponsorship and money but yet beats teams such as Villanova. This is then equated to their terrible seeding, which is a bunch of bullshit. there is no reason NC Sate should have been in over SMU. Or Louisville being a #4 seed over lesser teams (Duke, Creighton, Virginia, Syracuse).

Royal

Duke and UNC for example, no matter of their mediocre record, will always be top seeded.
Carolina didn't get any preferential treatment from the committee this year (or in any recent years that I can recall). They are a 6 seed with RPI and Kenpom rankings comparable to or exceeding the other 6 seeds (UMass, Baylor, and Ohio State). They've beaten Louisville, Michigan State, and Duke this year all of whom are higher ranked teams and lost to some dogs as well (such as UAB, Belmont, and Wake Forest). They're seeded right about where they should have been imo.

shattuck_sl

shitlord
The security of the ACC is what intrigues me. Maryland and FSU both voted against the raised exit-fee a couple of years ago, we've all seen why Maryland did it and can only assume FSU has similar plans.

Royal

I think FSU would probably join the SEC if they were the masters of their own destiny. The only problem with that is Florida not wanting them in the SEC. They did sign on to the grant of rights agreement though, which probably indicates they've acknowledged that joining the SEC is just a pipe dream for them, for the foreseeable future.