Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Huh I didnt see anything

7670256.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
All major programs in probably all NCAA sports likely are involved with this. It definitely happens for basketball and football. Its not a secret its just that no one feared the NCAA. Now that there is real shit going down I expect these runners and stuff to start flipping on people. I also expect head coaches to try and keep plausable deniability so it depends on who rolls over. To avoid jail most people will.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wasnt it Bama where some dude went through all their FB players social media profiles and found they all pretty much have new cars coming from crackhead families in the ghetto.

• 1Worf

Kaines

Potato Supreme
All major programs in probably all NCAA sports likely are involved with this. It definitely happens for basketball and football. Its not a secret its just that no one feared the NCAA. Now that there is real shit going down I expect these runners and stuff to start flipping on people. I also expect head coaches to try and keep plausable deniability so it depends on who rolls over. To avoid jail most people will.

I won't be convinced that they are serious about uncovering this shit until they go after some bluebloods: Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, etc. Until then, they are just picking off the schools that will grab headlines, but won't actually change anything.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Will it be a bloodbath or will it just wind up with college players being paid above the table?

Also, can someone give me the cliffs notes of why actual law enforcement is involved? I thought these were just NCAA rules.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Also, can someone give me the cliffs notes of why actual law enforcement is involved?

Because the safety of Americans everywhere lies in the balance. What if our children start getting paid for all the revenue they generate?! WHAT THEN HOSS?!?!

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I won't be convinced that they are serious about uncovering this shit until they go after some bluebloods: Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, etc. Until then, they are just picking off the schools that will grab headlines, but won't actually change anything.

I feel like its going to be dominos.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Hoss Hoss I assume its the bribery and stuff.

OK. Is bribery illegal if it's not of a government official or dealing with government contracts? I mean, I don't see where bribery in this case is defrauding anyone. No one gets arrested when there's a $100 rebate for buying a specific product, or when car dealers give you free sodas and hot dogs to come and look at their car, or when a salesman takes a potential client to a titty bar. Is this one of those cases where they're in trouble for cooking the books to hide the bribery from the NCAA?

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
OK. Is bribery illegal if it's not of a government official or dealing with government contracts? I mean, I don't see where bribery in this case is defrauding anyone. No one gets arrested when there's a $100 rebate for buying a specific product, or when car dealers give you free sodas and hot dogs to come and look at their car, or when a salesman takes a potential client to a titty bar. Is this one of those cases where they're in trouble for cooking the books to hide the bribery from the NCAA?

I assume since the schools get public funding. Either way there are lots of non bribery charges.

What are the charges?
Jim Gatto, Merl Code, Christian Dawkins, Jonathan Augustine, and Munish Sood face charges of:
  • Wire fraud conspiracy
  • Two counts of wire fraud
  • Money laundering conspiracy
Lamont Evans, Emanuel Richardson, Anthony Bland, Christian Dawkins, and Munish Sood face charges of:
  • Conspiracy to commit bribery
  • Solicitation of bribes and gratuities by an agent of a federally-funded organization (Lamont Evans, Emanuel Richardson, and Anthony Bland)
  • Solicitation of bribes and gratuities by an agent of a federally-funded organization (Christian Dawkins and Munish Sood)
  • Conspiracy to commit Honest Services Fraud
  • Honest services wire fraud (South Carolina, Oklahoma State, Arizona, USC)
  • Wire fraud conspiracy
  • Travel act conspiracy
Chuck Person and Rashan Michel face charges of:
  • Conspiracy
  • Solicitation of bribes
  • Conspiracy to commit honest services fraud
  • Honest services fraud
  • Conspiracy to commit wire fraud
  • Travel act conspiracy

• 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Damn. I forgot about universities getting public funding. Have any private universities been involved in this yet?

I don't even think the criminal cases are the real story here. I was just curious about why the FBI was involved in what seemed like (on the surface) an internal NCAA matter. The real story IMO is that now the NCAA can't ignore what everyone knew was going on. I don't even care about basketball, but I'll be surprised if this doesn't spill over into football pretty quick.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Football is definitely doing the same horseshit.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Cutler
Reactions: 2 users

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I'm not sure being a "private" university offers any protection here. With very few exceptions (places like Hillsdale College) they all take federal money in one form or another.

edit add: the threshold I saw for accepting federal money is $10k, which is peanuts for even a small private school.