NCAA Basketball- Corruption Arrests

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
As a huge Arizona Basketball fan, allow me to voice my opinion on all of this:

O0adam.gif
I am sure UW is safe...thanks for nothing Romar! And I mean that from the bottom of my heart!

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That shit can't be real...WTF!!!!!

I don't know why any of this shit surprises anyone anymore, and frankly I think it's ridiculous that there is any kind of outrage or public shaming over this kind of thing.

These school's give these orders from the top down, the coaches are the scapegoats when shit goes sideways. These kids make so. much. money. for these universities that they will do whatever it takes to remain a top tier system. The programs are given carte blanche and encouraged to do whatever it takes. Anyone who thinks otherwise... I have a bridge to sell you.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I don't know why any of this shit surprises anyone anymore, and frankly I think it's ridiculous that there is any kind of outrage or public shaming over this kind of thing.

These school's give these orders from the top down, the coaches are the scapegoats when shit goes sideways. These kids make so. much. money. for these universities that they will do whatever it takes to remain a top tier system. The programs are given carte blanche and encouraged to do whatever it takes. Anyone who thinks otherwise... I have a bridge to sell you.

Because you hear about the NCAA going after kids for having a part time job on the side, and then THIS bull shit is allowed?

Just fuckin pay these kids and be done with it.

• 2Solidarity

Khane

Because you hear about the NCAA going after kids for having a part time job on the side, and then THIS bull shit is allowed?

Yea, no shit they should get paid. But I don't understand how anyone can be surprised when they hear that the kids actually are getting paid...

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm a Michigan State fan, and I couldn't be happier to hear this stuff. There have been a handful of recruiting battles that have sent Izzo near to outrage. When he lost out on Cliff Alexander he all but called Chicago a no recruiting zone because of all the handlers he had to deal with. We all know how Cliff's Kansas career went.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Student athletes shouldn't be paid. The whole system of college athletics should be demonetized. It's completely disgusting what it has become.

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
I think the education they "get" is more than enough payment for participating in college athletics.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I think the education they "get" is more than enough payment for participating in college athletics.

You're wrong and the market doesn't agree with you, ergo, why these kids are 'getting paid'.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
To be fair, like what 5% are getting paid and are talented enough to elevate a program? Maybe for the one and done guys you pay them and the rest of the 4 year kids get a free education but then what about parity of the smaller schools? And even if you did that, there would be additional corruption. The school paying them won't stop this same shit from sweetening the pot, either through boosters or agents/handlers, etc.

Shit is a mess, man.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
To be fair, like what 5% are getting paid and are talented enough to elevate a program? Maybe for the one and done guys you pay them and the rest of the 4 year kids get a free education but then what about parity of the smaller schools? And even if you did that, there would be additional corruption. The school paying them won't stop this same shit from sweetening the pot, either through boosters or agents/handlers, etc.

Shit is a mess, man.

Right now there is no parity. Bigger schools have nicer lockers rooms, facilities, strength trainers, nutritionists, higher paid coaches, dorms, etc, etc. Whether a school is paying the top 5% or not does not negate the smaller schools ability to get talent, they aren't competing for the same players now, and paying players doesn't change that. Smaller schools will never get the talent available to the larger programs, so payment is a moot issue as far as I'm concerned. At least if there was sanctioned payments, it would be transparent, or at least more transparent than it is now, and maybe some of this underhanded shit would go away.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You're wrong and the market doesn't agree with you, ergo, why these kids are 'getting paid'.

Apparently the government does disagree with you though.

The problem isn't that they're making money, the problem is that it's not legitimate and above board. Just stop tying it to college. Colleges are where children and communists and child communists go, not athletes. Literally take all of the existing shit, change it to N_AA and remove all pretense.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Disagree. These schools making 100+ million a season for the big schools on just football. Most being state schools? Lets say 25K a year on the low end? 40k on the high end? Those ratios are all outta whack.

Plain and simple...major college sports are so large to the schools income as far as alumni donations, funding other sports etc that it's worth the risk of paying these kids on the side and taking the hit later. Rick Pitino is out. Louisville would take him and his "program" back in an instant if they could regardless of how embarrassing he may be at times.

The pay doesn't need to be much. 20K a year on top of that "education"? A small percentage of the net income? Whatever. Just keep it reasonable and even across all sports and schools to shut everyone the hell up.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Apparently the government does disagree with you though.

The problem isn't that they're making money, the problem is that it's not legitimate and above board. Just stop tying it to college. Colleges are where children and communists and child communists go, not athletes. Literally take all of the existing shit, change it to N_AA and remove all pretense.

Yes, but we're not talking about the legality of it, we're talking about the market value.

The market value for top tier players is more than a "free college education" that a top tier player will never actually finish and/or take advantage of.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yes, but we're not talking about the legality of it, we're talking about the market value.

The market value for top tier players is more than a "free college education" that a top tier player will never actually finish and/or take advantage of.

Yes well while these institutions want to keep using the government dole I guess they're going to have to deal?

• 2Like

Khane

Is it a federal law that student athletes can't get paid?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

Not really allowed. "This Bullshit" was taking steps to hide it from the NCAA. I mean really what do you think the NCAA has on these kids who have new cars? They'd have to go through each and every one of them and prove it was an illegal gift. Way too much work and too many rabbit holes to explore. They didn't have the subpenoa power to find the actual truth. The FBI does.

Is it a federal law that student athletes can't get paid?

Not any law I've ever heard of.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Yes well while these institutions want to keep using the government dole I guess they're going to have to deal?

That sounds like an institution problem.

Ultimately these players are going to take advantage of their market value. If they can stay here and play college ball and get paid, black market or otherwise, they will. If they can't, then they will just go overseas until they meet the NBA age requirement.

Again, I'm not arguing the legality of it. I just hate the 'kids are getting a free ride and that's enough' argument. Top tier players can and will get paid, whether that's in college ball or not remains to be seen, but they will get paid.