NCAA College Basketball 2015-2016

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Preseason polls came out this week, and exhibition games are being played. Time to get a new thread rolling for this season.

Preseason polls:
2YeKccj.png

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Still cannot get over the fact that Louisville is unranked in the pre-season. Top 10 recruiting class, a HOF coach, and a history of doing well in the tournament. Then you have Kansas who dominates their conference every year, but falls flat nearly every year in the Big Dance basically demonstrating they and the Big 12 are mediocre at basketball, not the best. Now you have teams like LSU, Oklahoma, Purdue, Vanderbilt, Cal that have been basically nobodies in the last few years are now top teams? Pretty laughably how bad these preseason polls are...

I'm salty over this bullshit
cool.png

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Still cannot get over the fact that Louisville is unranked in the pre-season. Top 10 recruiting class, a HOF coach, and a history of doing well in the tournament. Then you have Kansas who dominates their conference every year, but falls flat nearly every year in the Big Dance basically demonstrating they and the Big 12 are mediocre at basketball, not the best. Now you have teams like LSU, Oklahoma, Purdue, Vanderbilt, Cal that have been basically nobodies in the last few years are now top teams? Pretty laughably how bad these preseason polls are...

I'm salty over this bullshit
cool.png
Former Louisville Cardinals basketball players, recruits acknowledge stripper parties at Minardi Hall

loluisville

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
KU will end up as a #1 or #2 seed, and lose in the round of 32
I'm good with that

And I think Louisville's ranking reflects the ongoing investigation. Louisville could be without a coach a month from now, nobody knows how this is going to all shake out.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I'm good with that

And I think Louisville's ranking reflects the ongoing investigation. Louisville could be without a coach a month from now, nobody knows how this is going to all shake out.
It'll be much longer than a couple of months. Took Ok. St. 13 months of investigations to finally get to the truth and be punished. Realistically, the investigation should have little or no effect on rankings. Putting the carriage before the horse? Should be based on current players, recruits, coaches, and past history, not a story that may or not be true.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If nothing else, it'll be an indication on whether the NCAA officially considers Louisville a blue blood program or not. Something like that happens at kansas, Kentucky, Duke, or North Carolina(hi2u widespread academic fraud) and absolutely nothing would come of it. It happens at a small school that doesn't bring in big, big dollars and that school would get bent over by the NCAA. We'll see how they classify Louisville as a program.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
If nothing else, it'll be an indication on whether the NCAA officially considers Louisville a blue blood program or not. Something like that happens at kansas, Kentucky, Duke, or North Carolina(hi2u widespread academic fraud) and absolutely nothing would come of it. It happens at a small school that doesn't bring in big, big dollars and that school would get bent over by the NCAA. We'll see how they classify Louisville as a program.
Louisville basketball has had the #1 highest revenue and profit out of all of college basketball programs for consecutive 4 years. So they definitely make the NCAA similar amounts of $$ for the NCAA as the standard "blue-blood" schools. But I agree, if they view Louisville as a blue-blood, their punishment (if found true) will probably not be as severe as other schools.

There are only a handful of schools right now that are synonymous with NCAA basketball due to what these programs have accomplished: UK, KU, Duke, UNC, Michigan St., IU (due to past history; they'll never fade from existence), Syracuse, UConn, and Louisville. So I do not see how we would not be a blue-blood

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Strippers ? Lol

Dude that's got some recruitment potential.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
The fact that Labassiere is somehow eligible says all you need to know about college basketball.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
There are only a handful of schools right now that are synonymous with NCAA basketball due to what these programs have accomplished: UK, KU, Duke, UNC, Michigan St., IU (due to past history; they'll never fade from existence), Syracuse, UConn, and Louisville. So I do not see how we would not be a blue-blood
You somehow forgot the school with the greatest accomplishments in your list.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
You somehow forgot the school with the greatest accomplishments in your list.
UCLA has been somewhat irrelevant for quite some time. They have had some good tournament runs recently (but also years they didn't make the tournament or NIT), but nothing to write home about.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I'm good with that

At least they will play. The mizzou basketball team will refuse to play when their safe spaces don't occupy enough square feet and the governor doesn't admit to white privilege

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
UCLA has been somewhat irrelevant for quite some time. They have had some good tournament runs recently (but also years they didn't make the tournament or NIT), but nothing to write home about.
And yet you included Indiana "due to past history"... UCLA has been far more relevant than Indiana in recent years. Anyways, your statement was about what these programs have accomplished (with no qualifications about when), and no program has accomplished more than UCLA.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Yeah, any school can fall from the ranks of the perceived elites if they they become mired in being merely average or worse for long enough. Indiana isn't any more immune to that than any other program, regardless of their history (which the exclusion of UCLA underscores). The fact that you list programs like Syracuse and Michigan State but not Arizona, UNLV, or Georgetown demonstrates that recency is more of a factor than history.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I think the true "blue blood" programs are the ones that sustain a high level of success across multiple coaches, to where it's truly more about the school/reputation than the coach at that instant. If your program has multiple national championships from multiple coaches, then you're there.

North Carolina, Kentucky and kansas for sure, probably UCLA and Indiana as well(even though their last titles were decades ago now and the majority of their success is tied to 1 particular coah). Duke will be interesting once Coach K retires. They were a decent program before he got there, a handful of final 4s in their history but no championships. I have no idea what level they will remain at once he is gone.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I think Duke will be fine after K retires. He's built it up to the point that the program is self-recruiting and they have some former assistants out there getting experience should they decide to go that route when the time comes. Hell if K retires within the next few years (which he won't, but for sake of conversation) they could probably get a decade out of Mike Brey. It's gonna drop off from where it is under K obviously, just probably not enough to suit my taste.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
And yet you included Indiana "due to past history"... UCLA has been far more relevant than Indiana in recent years. Anyways, your statement was about what these programs have accomplished (with no qualifications about when), and no program has accomplished more than UCLA.
Valid point...

Louisville just signed (early signing period letters of intent) a 3-star (lots of potential) and a 5-star today. The story is basically falling apart daily. The issue is, even if most is proven false (I don't think any top 25 program is clean), the reputation hit is already done. We had the Chris Jones story early this year (which turned out to be 100% false) and now this. Louisville was just starting to finally do some amazing recruiting and now this happened. Will be hard to bounce back from.