NeverGrind: EQ inspired, browser-based single player RPG

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
if you're looking for a quick EQ fix, this is the place to go.

set in the world of vanilla EverQuest, but with items and abilities also inspired by the likes of Diablo and World of Warcraft. the whole thing is just battles.... class design and itemization is complex enough to be pretty interesting, though. i never find myself playing for more than an hour or two at a time. currently my Shadow Knight is level 45.... not quite high enough to kill these guys yet:

1901926_419743571494297_1046786717_n.jpg

1622604_425712960897358_635538342_n.jpg

1622216_426826314119356_1643339549_n.jpg

^ these videos are with the designer's test characters, keep in mind that they have better gear than most people will have at that level.

its just one guy programming/designing the whole thing, just for the fun of making his own game. its pretty fun for what it is... he updates fairly often, too, so the game is getting deeper/more interesting by the week pretty much.

here's the link:Nevergrind - Indie Browser RPG | Free Online Gameenter the promo code "rerolled" when you create your account for some goodies.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
when i told the owner that i linked the game to over here, he expressed concerns about advertising just yet because he hadn't implemented server-side storage/accounts yet.... currently all your character data is stored purely in your browser's cache. so if you're playing, keep that in mind. i already accidentally wiped my characters a month or two ago while clearing out my browser data.

accounts should be implemented soon, though.

oh, and as for updates -- he just finished the itemization for Nightmare difficulty.... you can't unlock Nightmare until you beat Cazic and Inny on Normal, tho.

he says he's done making new zones (every land zone from vanilla is in, as well as Plane of Hate and Plane of Fear).... i'm trying to talk him into adding Sebilis and Veeshan's Peak, tho... chain killing dragons in VP just sounds fun as hell to me, heh.

someone else was also chattering about Plane of Sky, but i don't think he responded about adding that. maybe.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Just the mention of 'EQ' and 'Browser' together is enough to rustle some jimmies here

Maelfyn_sl

shitlord
Hey, nevergrind developer here. Maybe something like a hidden cow level? I think it would be amusing to put some secret content in there.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
I gave it a try and it seems pretty cool to dink around on. I'm playing a warrior and doing well so far (think I'm around level 20). Only bug I've encountered, that I know of, was in Kithicor I got a named to spawn (queen klackinik or whatever) and she dropped a lv 24 required item. She is around lv 12 and I was lv 12 when she died. Item didn't seem THAT much better than my current gear so I'm thinking it's just a mislabeled level requirement.

Also, if you camp out mid quest, you have to start that quest over it seems. Something to keep in mind when you have to kill 10 of X, 8 of Y and 12 of Z to get the quest named to spawn.

GrizzlyCL

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think some of the quests are designed to be like 'dungeon crawls' have to clear so many mobs before you get to the boss. I have a paladin at lvl 47 and I usually just do one quest in a sitting. Its a pretty addicting game if you get into it. The itemization is pretty good for the most part but I agree some items dont really match up with their level requirement.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
^ it can be pretty tough if you push yourself. i made it to Vox at level 39. wasn't able to beat her, of course, but just getting to her was pretty intense.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Whats with the WoW icons?

Ill try it but the wow skills/icons seem pretty weird in EQ

Maelfyn_sl

shitlord
From a purist standpoint, yeah, I guess that probably is a little odd, but they were the most accessible, appropriate icons I could find. The classic EQ icons are really plain by today's standards. If you have a better idea, I'm all ears.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah it just seems a bit strange to me having wow ones. I dunno what or where you could find different ones however.

Classic EQ ones always seemed fine to me personally, Although My favorite were some custom AI ones I used in like 2002-2003 but I doubt those are around anymore.

But yeah, gonna try this when i get home from work tonight looks fun.

Maelfyn_sl

shitlord
I took a look at the 15-year-old sprite sheets and it just didn't seem workable to me. Plus there's very little variety. I had 15+ skills on the screen at once, so variety was important.

Maelfyn_sl

shitlord
Oh, it's worth mentioning that I even used to use WoW item icons, but I switched to EverQuest icons. My only regret is I had to stretch the images a little more than I wanted to. The old equipment icons are only 40x40 and my icons are 64x64. There's noticeable degradation of the image quality, but I think it was worth it to have the classic icons. Converting stuff from a 640x480 game to a 1280x800 game has its pitfalls.