NeverGrind: EQ inspired, browser-based single player RPG

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Looks like most of the bugs are gone now, thanks for all of your hard work.

One new bug, that I hate to mention because it is so awesome, is that it seems like my pets are taking next to no damage. My shaman pet seems to be taking 0, although that might just be because I'm facing low level mobs, because my SK pet is taking a whopping .3583834857387438734 damage per hit (number is not accurate, just an example).

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just a typo - in the quest Sabertooths of Blackburrow you have "patrolling" spelled "patvolling".

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Bug:
High Hold Pass, after you complete the quest there every kill gives you quest XP and a random ring.
GS3B0nz.png

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I just decided to "test" that bug by exploiting it to grind my Hardcore warrior from 20 to 31 in like an hour. I think I've cheated him through like 20 levels now.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
This game is actually fun. Can you save your character so you can play on another computer?

It's up now. You might have to refresh the page (ie: Shift-F5). Apparently, his host disabled his website for too heavy usage.

Nevergrind FB_sl said:
NeverGrind is back up.
Nevergrind FB_sl said:
Might require a shift+f5
Nevergrind FB_sl said:
If you're wondering why NeverGrind is down, it's because my web host disabled my website for "creating too many requests to the server and utilizing heavy network/server resources, which are resulting in critical issues with the server pool".

Hopefully back up shortly here. I had to move my sound files to the cloud.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
So I just logged in again after like 2 months. Game is completely ruined and gone in so many ways. So sad right now. Kind of stupid to assume Sony would ever care about a tiny browser game with no profit? Ugh, really, really disappointed and sad.
frown.png
But grateful for what it was while it lasted.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
What the hell are you on about?
Changed sound and names away from EQ
And for those that got used to the icons, changed them to gay

Played the shit out of it and looked forward to playing every class and race and doing it all. Took a break because it took out too much of my time, and came back to this current disaster.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider

Played the shit out of it and looked forward to playing every class and race and doing it all. Took a break because it took out too much of my time, and came back to this current disaster.
Yup. It's a horrible disaster. I don't know how they think they will keep any of the current players, because 99% of the appeal for 99% of people playing was the nostalgia. Now it's all gone and apparently he's just working to remove even more and change it away from EQ entirely. Absolute disaster, so, so bad and sad
frown.png
Wish I'd have known I'd have played more before this happened. I had the same plans to play every class.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider

Yup. It's a horrible disaster. I don't know how they think they will keep any of the current players, because 99% of the appeal for 99% of people playing was the nostalgia. Now it's all gone and apparently he's just working to remove even more and change it away from EQ entirely. Absolute disaster, so, so bad and sad
frown.png
Wish I'd have known I'd have played more before this happened. I had the same plans to play every class.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Kind of stupid to assume Sony would ever care about a tiny browser game with no profit?
the game made it onto Kongregate and traffic spiked a LOT. i think maelfyn is preparing for potential actual profit some day.

i for one support it.

Maelfyn_sl

shitlord
I can't get into the details right now, but I will say I have hired a talented artist to draw original art work for all of the zones and monsters/characters. I was also contacted by someone in the VG industry who wants to collaborate, but that was only possibly if I converted NG into its own IP. Being the single-player web version of p1999 was fun, but very limiting in terms of what I could do with the website. Project 1999 has an agreement with SOE. I don't. And it's very unlikely that I will ever get one. Project 1999 operates under a set of restrictions, such as not releasing beyond a certain expansion and not being able to monetize. Even if I did, by some miracle, get an agreement with SOE, playing by those rules would be too limiting for me.

This is my first ever web project or game of any kind, so I never initially anticipated this kind of reception and I never thought I'd get over 1000 hits 17 days in a row (and counting). A lot changes when 50 people are looking at your site versus several thousand. Receiving a C&D letter starts to become an actual concern and I didn't want to see NeverGrind end that way. I have way too much fun working on it to let it end that way.

Changing the game was a hard decision that I knew would alienate a considerable number of people like yourself. Particularly players that played primarily for nostalgic reasons. So I understand your dismay, but I still say give it a few months. You are looking at a game that is in the middle of a giant lore transition and everything isn't in place yet. Some of the new stuff will be better, and some of it will be worse. Once they are finished and in place, I think the new linear gameplay, backgrounds, mobs, and music will be way better than the old stuff. Admittedly, the action icons and the new sound effects will probably not be as good as the old ones. I think the EverQuest sound effects are some of the best ever, so it's hard to compete with that. But I think it will turn out pretty well considering the game has a 4-figure budget.

Consider giving it a try in late December/early January and see what you think once the new art and server accounts are in place.

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
In case this whole project crashes and burns due to the current and upcoming changes, do you have a backup of the EQ themed version? I hope so. I started playing two weeks ago and thought it was great. Then the whole game went linear and EQ references were removed. It's still fun but the linearity totally kills the world feel.

Btw, I think the original music is really well done. Wish it would play for more than a minute in some zones. Song in PoFear is badass.