Neverwinter: PC

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Damn when does it open for the PCG contest linked here? Looking forward to trying this and we were thinking this weekend was open with those keys.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
If there are enough of us does anyone want to run as a Rerolled group Friday/saturday/sunday?

I'll come into the IRC and gauge interest later this week.

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
Looks like I did get a beta invite for inserting that pc gamer key. Unless it's just a coincidence.

kudos

<Banned>
Someone PLEASE get me into this beta some how. If you're a dev I will send you beer or something.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Wonder if it's too late for this weekend, did the PCgamer stuff, after about half a dozen of reloads I got an easy question(how many screenshots on page 89) so I just tested a few numbers and it was 6, now I have to wait for the key though then I guess enter it on the website but if they already sent invites it might be too late don't know.

Not that I had paid any attention to this game at all but eh was bored so checked why this thread kept getting bumped to front page.

s0ulgr1nder

Trakanon Raider
I haven't had any luck with a beta invite... honestly not sure I signed up for beta... but if anyone has some good impressions/general info and wants to share the goods, toss me a pm or something. As it is I'm "almost" looking at this game to be the next one I play /drag my friends/family in. The fact that it's published by Perfect World almost instantly made me ignore this title entirely... but I'm holding my chin up for this one.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I am looking more forward to playing this then FFXIV at the moment (I am in both beta's). It is all very personal, but I never really could get into the FF style. The graphics of FFXIV are top-notch though (max settings), extremely crisp and detailed with beautiful artwork.

The environments of Neverwinter are very nice too and do fit my preference a little better, especially the avatars, even though they are more crude then FFXIV's avatars. I do feel that Neverwinter offers me more freedom in the world: there is this teleport to some platform on some islands floating very high above Neverwinter and you have to walk across a kind of ropebridge to the Inn on one the islands. You can see the sea and Neverwinter very far below you and that is awesome. What is even more awesome is that you can simply hop over the railing and fall to a horrible death: the first part of the fall really made me a little queesy(sp?).

The atmosphere in Neverwinter is top notch imo, lots of Inns, NPC's and such. The Foundry is going to be the saving grace of this game imo, when fans start to commit themselves to making really great Quests and Quest-arcs. I am amazed at how many there are already, apparently made by early beta and alphatesters. There is an extensive search-ui to choose from and also review them. Even the way they are offered is done nicely: you talk to barmaids in one of the many Inns(gossip option) and then you get an offering of a couple of Foundryquests that are within your levelrange and vicinity ( I think). But I believe you can also choose them from the UI, not sure.

But there are also many signs of the modern themepark MMO: shiny trails leading you to the next step in your Quest, that sort of stuff. Exclamationmarks above NPC's and such. There are open world areas where you can fight with others, and a lot of instances where the Quests play out(can be both indoor and outdoor areas). I like the combat, it reminded me of Reckoning somewhat. Combat UI is a bit different, but when I look at the skill paths it looks as if there is enough variety to play with, definately not the bloat of a game like EQ2. I liked how the flow of combat went.

I thought the quests a little on the easy side, so take one a few levels higher then you. XP was accelerated in beta, i.e. way too fast. You loot by walking over shit. There are a lot of chests and interactable objects in the world, some of which can only be opened if you are a certain class: they contain crafting materials and such. However you can simply buy (or loot) consumables that will give you 3 minutes of the particular skill needed to open a chest that is not specific to your class....... so in this light, it is definately a "modern" MMO(can't leave out little Timmy).

There is some D&D feel to the chracterprogression and even combat(HP will not regenerate automatically, though there are many skills to regain it), however if you are expecting a semi-hardcore implementation of the good old dice-stuff, you will be disappointed. I do like the setting, feels like my kind of Fantasy (as opposed to FFXIV with the weird giraffe-elves and such).

Not sure if there is anything like Public Quests, I do believe that you can kill shit together without being in a group and eveyrone gets credit.
Also a nice twist is the feature where you pray to your gods every hour and earn points, both temporary and not. The temporary points (or coins) will vanish when you log out. You can buy stuff with those points, like consumables, all the way up to cool Mounts. With the temporary points, the longer you stay, the cooler the rewards that are unlocked(though these are mostly consumables), so poopsockers that manage to do sessions of 7+ hours will get to the nicest tiers. But there are also points to be earned that stay on your character, and I think these are the ones that can finally earn you mounts.

Anyway, will look more closely at this stuff this weekend.

Interesting comments on the current beta
I got a beta key for this as well. I personally love, and will probably always love, D&D in nearly every iteration, except perhaps the Eberron setting. I'll have to give it a whirl and see what it's about this weekend.

That being said, I actually enjoyed STO after Perfect World got their hands on it. I'm a bit wary of the Founder money-grab approach, but we'll see if the game has what it takes to hold my - or anyone else's - interested for more than a week or two.

Still playing GW2 VERY casually due to work and other personal commitments, but would like to see what this might have to offer.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Missed out, if anyone managed to grab an extra one that they can spare, I would be very appreciative.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
PC Gamer invite came today late, few guildies got theirs last night so it seems to be working.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Aleksei, check your PM's. Was able to snatch 2 keys from the mmorpg.com giveaway, so one left for the first poster that sais "They should just remake Everquest, it was the bestest game ever!"

Because it's true.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
They should just remake Everquest, it was the bestest game ever!

Ik zou blij zijn
tongue.png