Neverwinter: PC

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Man it's hard to figure out the optimal thing to do when you hit 60 this close to a new module. Just do dailies for the campaigns? Farm the dragons with everyone else? Spend 50k on equipment I'll immediately replace?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Yeah I was wondering that myself - if the old campaigns are basically obsoleted because everyone is only doing the new stuff. How much work is it to get the AA skills and finish the campaign trees, if you aren't sticking around to farm up outdated gear? Meh I'll find out if I ever get there. Bloodborne comes out next Tues so I sorta started this at totally the wrong time, heh.

Also I meant to compare it myself but I was wondering if you lose anything selling off trash through the website vs running back to a vendor somewhere. Seems pretty handy if you are in the middle of an instance.

And finally, when people say leadership is the slowest to level, I assume they mean because at higher levels you have the gold/AD to throw at the crafting profs that require materials and actual effort.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
I do appreciate the complete lack of naming filters in this game. Partying up to slay the dragon with CaptCumShot and CmdGrool was a treat.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
And finally, when people say leadership is the slowest to level, I assume they mean because at higher levels you have the gold/AD to throw at the crafting profs that require materials and actual effort.
Every profession (except alchemy which has its own unique leveling system) has gathering missions, which are free to run. The missions that require materials are only really for crafting items you actually want, or for the rich who want to throw cash at the profession just to level it faster.

To level jewelcrafting easy and free for example, run the deep gathering mission until level 7 for 50xp per 6 hours per slot, then upgrade to the level 7 version for 200 exp each, then the level 14 version for 800 exp each. With 7 slots unlocked (easy at max character level), it's 7*800 = 5600 jewelcrafting exp per 8 hours, so ~16k a day.

Leadership in comparison can earn something like 3k exp per day at higher ranks. It's incredibly slower.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Damn I really missed an opportunity for a glorious name then.

Reroll time.

EDIT: So the idea is to do the faster profs first in the cheapest way possible just to unlock the queue slots. Gotcha, thanks.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Man it's hard to figure out the optimal thing to do when you hit 60 this close to a new module. Just do dailies for the campaigns? Farm the dragons with everyone else? Spend 50k on equipment I'll immediately replace?
do the campaigns to unlock the boons, they are the only thing of consequence you actually gain from the campaigns (well also tod gives you artifact mh weapon). everything else is junk, just do whatever you need to do to unlock the boons.

Yeah I was wondering that myself - if the old campaigns are basically obsoleted because everyone is only doing the new stuff. How much work is it to get the AA skills and finish the campaign trees, if you aren't sticking around to farm up outdated gear? Meh I'll find out if I ever get there. Bloodborne comes out next Tues so I sorta started this at totally the wrong time, heh.

Also I meant to compare it myself but I was wondering if you lose anything selling off trash through the website vs running back to a vendor somewhere. Seems pretty handy if you are in the middle of an instance.

the boons are never obsoleted, it's a small barrier to entry for new players and they expect ppl to dump $50bux per campaign or far more than that in AD on the unlocks to "catch up". There is a minimum stuff you need to do as a free player to finish the campaigns. for Sharandar do the 3 daily quests only. for DR just do the daily lair. for IWD buy 12x Reghed Barbarian Relics, convert them to the campaign currency then do just the 1 daily (mine 300 Black ice, get credit for any HE). for ToD just do the daily/weeklies. You literally have no reason to do RoT dailies, other than they speed up ToD boon unlocks. The fangs do nothing.

None of the gear from any of the post release content is worth using. The BiS gear for every class (except Warlocks) is either one of the original T1 or T2 sets from launch. With Tiamat launch that gear is now basically free (salvage cost) on the AH so no reason not to just buy your gear now, and if the lvl 70 stuff obsoletes it, then just salvage it and get all your money back.

This was one of the problems (in addition to artifact equipment) that a level cap increase could of totally fixed, but i'm not sure if it will or not. For example, DC armor T1 high prophet, it adds a debuff on all clerics attacks, that increases dmg against the target by 10%, and it stacks 3 times. That means a DC wearing this armor increases his groups DPS by 30%, and for Heroic Encounters like IWD, RoT, or Tiamat, increases everyone's damage by 30%, whether its 1 player attacking it or 30. This is the T1 armor that comes from the starter epic dungeons. Where the fuck can you go from there? Next upgrade is +35%? +40%? no. they realized (far too late) that most of the T1/T2 gear was simply too good, but they didn't get around to nerfing during beta and it's too late now, ppl have been using those same sets for 2 years now. So yeah they keep adding minor upgrade tiers of gear, t2.5, t3, etc, but 500-1000 extra gooder stats is nothing compared to the original set bonuses from the original gear. With the level cap increase the stat softcaps are going to change, and you'll need more stats to hit those caps, but still, unless the content is straight up 1 shotting anyone without max stats, people will still wear the old gear unless the new gear set bonuses are better, which they can't be without breaking the game.

Selling through the website is the same as selling in game. it's a neat "feature" workaround whatever you wanna call it, cus fuck 10bux per bag.

Leadership is the slowest to level because you can only gain 3x slots 240exp, the rest are 120 or 160 experience. All the crafting profs have 800 exp per slot gatherings or 500xp per slot crafting recipes you can use. You can get as much experience using 1 slot for 6 hours leveling a crafting skill as you can using 9x slots in 24 hours for leadership.

ps names are only unique to your @handle so you will see 1k[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */It's pretty cool actually cus fuck joining a game 2 years after launch and ending up with some erqiertja handle as everything else is taken.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
One of the devs recently posted in a feedback thread saying that yeah, set bonuses have been a problem for a long time, and level 70 gear simply won't have set bonuses at all except for a very few things, like artifacts.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Seems to be a trend in the game.. like how long has the daily dungeon quest been broken / stupidly implemented? "any appropriately leveled dungeon" = "the ONE dungeon we specifically list in the quest"

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Is there a class that doesn't lock you in place when you do an ability ? Control Wizard would be very fun if that were the case... perhaps it changes at later levels ?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
There are even some melee skills that lock you, and if there's a cancel cast hotkey I didn't see it. (dodging works)

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Knowing when to properly time your slower, stronger attacks and when you need to stay mobile to dodge the aoe stuff is part of the combat system. Most of your slower animations can be interrupted by performing a dodge move.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Temporarily put my control wizard on hold to play a hunter ranger. Because hunter ranger. After 10 years as a hunter in WOW I really like ranged classes. Dropped some rl cash on some account unlocks. The dragon one is awesome. Epic ring that levels with you and free 24 slot bag for every character and an awesome artifact that starts at rank 60. Inscribed gear is also the shit. shirt/pants that level with you and give you +20% xp. Scourge Warlock and Hunter Ranger set give everyone 2 companions. Got a 110% mount that all toons can get at 20.

Hunter Ranger just hit 32 this morning. Going stormwarden/archer for now. Probably going to toss some more money into AD and get a set of Ancient Mulhorand weapons/offhands/necks for all classes. Purple gear that levels with you to 60.

Arc/perfect world are dicks. My account is on 'probation' because I had the temerity to buy zen through steam wallet instead of their website. They will not let me sell zen for AD or I would go that route. Yay for forcing customer to use 3rd party sites?

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I just logged back into this this week, always fun when you have a few max level chars in an MMO you haven't played for awhile and then you have to try to remember how the hell to play them. I started working on catching up the modules I missed (toD, Tiamat, IWD) and then I realized that, other than the boons, it is all going to be likely obsolete in two weeks anyway (unless the sets are still viable as Sylas said).

Was hilarious seeing gear that last year sold for 250k+ astral diamonds now selling for salvage cost, heh. Very easy to catch up in that sense, assuming you do a few dailies while levelling you will have plenty of diamonds to kit yourself out and get ready for the new module. I wonder if they plan on scaling any of the campaigns in an attempt to keep them viable - depending on how much stats inflate, the boons could very well end up being totally worthless - or if they are just going to obsolete everything. You can see other stuff scaled to level throughout the game, so if they wanted to they could probably find a way to keep everything useful. Admittedly, I didn't read much about what's coming, just going to go in blind, probably level a paladin, and hope for the best.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
There's still a good bit of stuff you can do today that's relevant after the expansion. A few things off the top of my head:

- Campaign progress and boons will remain relevant (they get updated to the new stat curve).
- Artifacts (the normal artifacts, not "artifact gear") aren't being replaced, so refining them to higher ranks is just as useful now as it will be after patch. They are simply raising the cap on them by 40 and adding a 4th slot to wear another.
- Enchants are in the same boat. They aren't being replaced, just having more max ranks added. Leveling them today is useful.
- Some campaign currency will be used to buy the new max level gear. For example, farming 15 linu's favor today can be banked and spent at level 70 for the updated artifact cloak. Farming black ice can be saved and used at level 70 for new epic gear.
- If you can stomach the broken PvP in this game, capping on glory today will let you buy 2 level 70 epics as soon as you hit level cap.

Edit: Another thing is farming astral diamonds today. After the patch, all max level gear from epic dungeons will be personal loot, and bind to account. This means no more farming dungeons to sell items for ridiculous profits, so making big chunks of astral diamonds post-patch will be far, far harder. If you can run things like hoard 4 tiamat, valindra, or epic lostmauth and get one of those 1-3 million diamond items to sell, do it while you can.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
My toon that I haven't played since a bit after launch is only 37, a cleric. Logged in last night... omg I have so many of those charms/enchantments, but at least loot is more manageable than Marvel Heroes. Once I got my powers and feats reset a huge health bar appeared on my screen. Checked the map and ran toward a long named baddie and helped kill a dragon. Fun reintroduction to the game, made me want to play a lot more, probably will give it a fresh go on Xbox One too.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
So, uh, any recommended third party sites for getting cheap packs? Feel free to PM.

I looked into the official ones to contribute something and jesus fucking christ. What would be the best value item to buy for around $40?

I try not to freeload but this is ridiculous.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
First time you buy zen, you get the new buyers pack, which has a bunch of very valuable items (bag, respec token, character slot, etc), and it's a totally free bonus.

As for what are some good buys, first purchase I recommend is the stormraider clydesdale mount (2500 zen). T3 accountwide mount.

If you're in it for the long haul, more character slots (500 zen per 2 slots) are valuable to get an alt profession mule army started to farm you astral diamonds per day with leadership. Keep in mind it takes a hefty time investment to start seeing a return on your investment with leadership from alts, so only do this as a long term goal.

A black dragon ioun stone augment companion (3000 zen) is one of the better augment companions, and it comes already epic quality. It has 3 offense slots, 3 ring slots, and a fairly decent active bonus.

Whatever you decide to buy with zen, before you buy research if it's an item you can get a discount with using a coupon, and then get a coupon before you buy. Most (all?) coupons can be obtained guaranteed from the adventurer reward boxes with some planning.

Altaruk_sl

shitlord
First time you buy zen, you get the new buyers pack, which has a bunch of very valuable items (bag, respec token, character slot, etc), and it's a totally free bonus.

As for what are some good buys, first purchase I recommend is the stormraider clydesdale mount (2500 zen). T3 accountwide mount.

If you're in it for the long haul, more character slots (500 zen per 2 slots) are valuable to get an alt profession mule army started to farm you astral diamonds per day with leadership. Keep in mind it takes a hefty time investment to start seeing a return on your investment with leadership from alts, so only do this as a long term goal.

A black dragon ioun stone augment companion (3000 zen) is one of the better augment companions, and it comes already epic quality. It has 3 offense slots, 3 ring slots, and a fairly decent active bonus.

Whatever you decide to buy with zen, before you buy research if it's an item you can get a discount with using a coupon, and then get a coupon before you buy. Most (all?) coupons can be obtained guaranteed from the adventurer reward boxes with some planning.
FYI, I believe that if you purchase zen through your steam wallet, you do not get the new buyer's pack.. at least I didn't.. you have to do it through the site/Arc.

I'm having fun with this, though. It's something that I'll eventually get bored with and quit, just like WoW..but it's fun enough for now. I enjoy the combat a lot. Right now I'm playing Scourge Warlock and it's super fun to dash around and drop green fireballs on everything. Killed my first Heroic Encounter (Dragon) tonight in a small group.. THAT was cool (the one in the graveyard.. Charaxis?). When he first comes down you get a cool cutscene of him flying down and landing and the fight is pretty fun too.

Overall, worth a try at least