Neverwinter: PC

Malkav

French Madman
Right now they essentially have one of each basic archetype plus one joke.

Healer : Devoted Cleric
Tank : Guardian Fighter
DPS: Trickster Rogue
CC / AE dps: Control Wizard
Joke: Great Weapon Fighter

Technically GWF is supposed to be a striking tank but in reality it seems to do less damage and tanks less well than a Cleric. I suspect things will change, especially when they add in the next two classes which are supposed to be added very soon during the Open Beta.

I'm having fun, the game is very attractive and has a fun playstyle. Some of the boss fights are absolute hectic nightmares of chaos...which I oddly enjoy.
Yeah, I'm having a blast gameplay wise. Very nervous.

And I wouldn't say exactly say that the game is P2W. Most of the things in the cash shop are cosmetic/utility, but they are just way overpriced.

I would buy multiple bags for 2$ a pop. But 10$ each? That's ridiculous.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Cryptic has experience with STO and Champions though so they must have some baseline success model anticipated with the pricing. Fanbois on the forums insist that additional classes and paragon paths will be free, which I scratch my head at.

Worth noting that you can sell your Astral Diamonds for Zen and use that to buy things. This means that somewhere people are either taking all those ad supported Zen surveys or paying actual cash to get Zen into the economy in the first place

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
all 3 are better then the original game.

Storm of Zehir is my favorite. It totally changes how the game plays. It sortof becomes a top down overland exploration game. with trade routes you set up, etc. you can explore, and your search skill will allow you to discover various hidden dungeons, etc. and you can then dungeon crawl.
Note it is also a precursor to 4e spell plague.
Has anyone messed around with the content/modding stuff with nwn2? I bought nwn2 when it first came out, very excited to build my own campaign but was really disappointed in the bugs and limitations I ran into. I worked a ton with the nwn1 content creator (the solstice tool I think it was called) but I found that nwn2 wasn't near as good as the original. Did this change with expansions or no?

Edit: forgot to ask- best place to get all the nwn2 games?

axeman_sl

shitlord
The cash shop is far from purely cosmetic. You can apparently use the cash-bought currency for just about anything, first of all, so it's basically buying gold. Secondly, it appears that outside of a select few quests, the only way to get bags is to buy them with said currency. You can also buy exp boosts that let you reach the max level in a few hours, you have to buy respecs, and various other similar items. It seems to work like GW2 in that you can trade in-game currency for cash shop currency via an auction house, so there's nothing that absolutely requires the use of one's credit card; but knowing game companies these days, they'll have designed it so that getting stuff via gameplay is prohibitively time-consuming. Wouldn't surprise me if it takes 40 hours of farming to get what would cost $5 in the shop. I'll definitely try the game out, but it reeks far away of a game made specifically for the cash grab, as opposed to a game made to be a great game where an unobtrusive cash shop ensures that the developers get paid without it interfering with gameplay. You'll even have to pay for the races and classes that are to be released in the future. It seems you can mastercard your way to everything in Neverwinter except BoP items (I do hope those exist, otherwise the game is 100% pay2win) and will have to endure a lot of inconveniences if you want to play for free.

Citz

Silver Squire
Sounds like the GW2 cash shop which I think is good. I don't think we have the same definition of P2W though. P2W would be a way to buy items or enhancer to upgrade items and become overpowered.

Buying exp boost and other kind of utility items is far from being P2W.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Are they launching with only the 5 classes that were in beta a while ago or have they added stuff since?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Been playing the last few days. Some friends got me to cough up the dough to play early.

Overall its not terrible. I'd give it a 6/10. Worth checking out for sure.

Good:

Combat isn't bad, kind of tera like just fewer abilities and a bit suckier. Could use an ability or two more though but its not terrible.
Quests / Lore: Pretty decent. If repetitive at times.
Cash shop isn't bad. I could see wanting some stuff but its mostly fairly optional. We will see if the new class will be pay to play which I'm sure it will.
UI is pretty good.
Daily quests for the diamonds

Bad:

I'm not a fan of the multiple currency scheme and they have more than a few in this game.
Game is 100% on rails
World is big but feels narrow / small.
Face roll easy
Maps look ok but could really be clearer.
I can't zoom in / out from my character
Companions are half ass

Meh:

Foundry is over rated IMO. At least at this stage.

I don't think the cash shop is that bad. Feels pretty optional except they are pretty jewish on the bags as mentioned above. Good inventory management can make it work and a lot of stuff like crafting / seals go into a separate tab.

Its a good game to dick around in for a week or two. Play casually and enjoy it. Nothing earth shattering here. Its coming out at a good time and is far better than something like Defiance.

Disp_sl

shitlord
I played it last beta weekend up to about level 30 or so and had a blast. Gonna play with friends when it comes out tomorrow. If anyone wants to join us, we'll have 3, maybe 4 people. Probably start at 5:30-ish Pacific tomorrow.

Drew

Molten Core Raider
Sounds like the GW2 cash shop which I think is good. I don't think we have the same definition of P2W though. P2W would be a way to buy items or enhancer to upgrade items and become overpowered.

Buying exp boost and other kind of utility items is far from being P2W.
Cash shop is mostly ok. The Founder packs come with one P2W item. The Greycloak thing. It gives you a weapon based on your class at level 4. You won't replace it until you are level 20. It certainly helps make the Fighter classes more bearable early on but it makes the cleric/rogue/wizard horribly OP till about lvl15 or so. The other two nice, but not OP, items for Founders is a 110% mount (top mount) and an epic pet/companion that can reach rank 30 - max for free ones is rank 15.

Skrigg

Golden Squire
Is there a server I should roll on tomorrow that you all are playing on or is it just one big server?

axeman_sl

shitlord
Apparently you can buy endgame purples with the cash-bought currency. RIP Neverwinter. I'll try the game, but if you really can mastercard the best gear, I can guarantee that this game will be dead before August. Why do developers insist on pulling this sort of shit? If they can't make money off cosmetic things, just fucking make a subscription game. There has never been a widely succesful MMORPG that let players directly buy power. Nobody is gonna give a flying fuck about a game where the next guy might have got to the top by opening his wallet instead of playing the game.

Skrigg

Golden Squire
Isn't it similar to GW2 where you can buy cash shop currency with real money and then exchange it for game currency to buy stuff on the AH? Or can you actually just straight up buy purples with cash in the store?

Disp_sl

shitlord
Looks like there are 3 different "shards" to play on. They're all the same, but are basically different servers with you have to choose upon character creation (same rules on all servers):

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/sho...l=1#post297631

Apparently you can buy endgame purples with the cash-bought currency. RIP Neverwinter. I'll try the game, but if you really can mastercard the best gear, I can guarantee that this game will be dead before August. Why do developers insist on pulling this sort of shit? If they can't make money off cosmetic things, just fucking make a subscription game. There has never been a widely succesful MMORPG that let players directly buy power. Nobody is gonna give a flying fuck about a game where the next guy might have got to the top by opening his wallet instead of playing the game.
I don't see how that's any different than buying gold or gear in Diablo 3 off the RMAH, and that game didn't suffer because of it. It suffered because of other problems. As far as I know, the system is like what Skrigg mentioned.

Skrigg

Golden Squire
Also as far as I can tell (haven't actually played the game) gear isn't that hard to come by so just like in GW2, it just doesn't matter if someone credit carded their way to full purples in a day after getting to max level.