new Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 cards released

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Are they incompetent, is this a test, or is there corporate sabotage afoot?

My money is on this all being a test. See how big a turd they can put out there as nerds continue to hand over their dollars.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Decided fuck it, ordered a 1080ti. I should get a good 3+ years out of it.

Hopefully there will be competition by then.

• 2Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
AMD coming to within 15% perf of Nvidia means I'm done with them unless they drop gsync for the now industry standard, or at least enable the free standards. The vast majority of displays are going to be Freesync/HDMI async capable by the time the next generation hits, and we're already seeing gsync variants of monitors costing upwards of $400 more than their Freesync versions. It offers very little more than Freesync which is arbitrarily prohibited on a driver level. It made sense when it first came out as it being silicon based was necessary, but the industry has surpassed that need. It's just predatory now.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
AMD coming to within 15% perf of Nvidia means I'm done with them unless they drop gsync for the now industry standard, or at least enable the free standards. The vast majority of displays are going to be Freesync/HDMI async capable by the time the next generation hits, and we're already seeing gsync variants of monitors costing upwards of $400 more than their Freesync versions. It offers very little more than Freesync which is arbitrarily prohibited on a driver level. It made sense when it first came out as it being silicon based was necessary, but the industry has surpassed that need. It's just predatory now.
Have you ever actually compared g-sync to freesync? Nevermind the fact that freesync doesn't have anything like ULMB.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Have you ever actually compared g-sync to freesync? Nevermind the fact that freesync doesn't have anything like ULMB.

Yes I have, and as ULMB can't be used along with Gsync, it's irrelevant to the discussion. But by all mean, if you think a $200+ premium on a monitor for a tech that is comparable to a free tech that is being supported by everyone else, from AMD to Intel to Xbox to HDMI standards, and is arbitrarily being blocked to Nvidia to sell their overpriced modules... then you're welcome to it. They could sell the tech without the anti-consumer blocking if the bonuses it had over everything was worth it, but it isn't and they know it.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The only thing Gsync does better than Freesync is the ability to work in borderless fullscreen. I love my ultrawide Freesync monitor but it's annoying in Path of Exile when you can't use PoE-TradeMacro and the game minimizes when you tab to a browser or try to use the second monitor. I end up switching to fullscreen before I start mapping/delving, then back to borderless when I'm in my hideout.

That said, my friend has an ultrawide 1440 144Hz panel and can't actually get Gsync to work with PoE at all, so I guess Freesync kind of wins by default.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
They jumped the gun with ray tracing. Yea it's going to be big in the future, but we're still at least a few generations away from having ray tracing effects that will actually matter to gamers. And it's probably gonna be 10 years before we see a game that is drawn fully by rays instead of polygons. My guess is you are probably going to need something like 80 Tflops to have a ray traced game @60fps.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
My guess is that it's gonna be added in (ray tracing) without us even knowing about it, and therefore just doesn't ensure that a card sells itself. Especially a card as expensive as this one.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Hahahahahaha fucking 1800 for a 2080ti from gigabyte. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaah

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
why are you sperging on some price gauging opportunists resale price?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users