new Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 cards released

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It could be that they think the 35% improved performance doesn't justify the increased price in the mind's of their buyers, but it's arguable that the RTX does.

My presumptuous opinion is that Nvidia knows they have no competition (Radeon worst death since General Leo) and is charging accordingly, using the bells and whistles as a way to bring in the more impulsive customers to get the initial owner-based word of mouth established. People are far more willing to not purchase something if nobody else is as well, but a bunch of people talking about their shiny new 2080ti is a powerful influence. It would also help them to raise MSRP's by a huge jump before Intel can gain any sort of foothold.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My presumptuous opinion is that Nvidia knows they have no competition (Radeon worst death since General Leo) and is charging accordingly, using the bells and whistles as a way to bring in the more impulsive customers to get the initial owner-based word of mouth established. People are far more willing to not purchase something if nobody else is as well, but a bunch of people talking about their shiny new 2080ti is a powerful influence. It would also help them to raise MSRP's by a huge jump before Intel can gain any sort of foothold.
agree 100%.

I also think that NVIDIA will be happy to drop their price 30+% if AMD/Intel somehow release a competitive card in the next couple years.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
zWvHzua.jpg
Good chart that shows what we all kind of new to be true: the new cards aren't more cost effective than the current generation.

Ray Tracing is great, but I can't help but feel that even in the best case scenario for ray tracing, 4+ from now new consoles will support it, and it's be the primary method for rendering modern games, the 2080/2080ti won't render those games fast enough that it'd be worth doing 30fps @ 1080p with ray tracing on vs 60fps @ 4k (or whatever) with it off.

So as a buyer, why would I want to future proof when I can only limp in the future?
Considering I was able to pick up two 1080Ti's that clock at 1900+Mhz for $500 each, not sure upgrading is gonna be worth it until a decent 3rd party version comes out that's faster and cheaper. The bells and whistles of a shiny new card isn't going to sell me on it. Apparently waiting until the very last second before buying the latest and greatest worked out heavily in my favor. First gen of new tech isn't going to sell me on something. And so far I have zero interest in playing any of the games that currently support Ray Tracing. Kinna like PhysX was and is, but who knows where that might go... I'm mostly interested in 4K performance, which I've got plenty of hardware to accomplish that already.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I think Nvidia is definitely pushing up the prices due to no competition, but I also imagine the costs on these chips are not all that low either.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think Nvidia is definitely pushing up the prices due to no competition, but I also imagine the costs on these chips are not all that low either.
My GTX 1080 was $679.99 when I bought it shortly after launch.

This is 20 dollars more.

Why are people freaking out about the prices? They're completely in-line with normal launch prices for Nvidia.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
My GTX 1080 was $679.99 when I bought it shortly after launch.

This is 20 dollars more.

Why are people freaking out about the prices? They're completely in-line with normal launch prices for Nvidia.

Probably because we have no idea yet what the AIB cards are going to cost, regardless of what Nvidia is saying the reference prices are going to be, and so going by the only known actual prices (FE prices) is all we really have to go on so far

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There are multiple reports that the AIB cards are going to get hit hard by tariffs.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Also, going by the 1080:2080 prices doesn't really work out well as if IIRC, the 1080 was highly priced in comparison to the 1080ti, which has a much larger discrepancy between it and the 2080ti price

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
There are multiple reports that the AIB cards are going to get hit hard by tariffs.

maybe a way around
EXCLUSIVE: NVIDIA RTX Series MSRP And Soon To Rise Cost Of PC DIY
AIBs have two options here – they can either pay the tariff (and move cost to the customer) – or they can move their operations out of China into some other country which is not currently war-ing with the US. The most likely candidate for this is Taiwan. Since many of the AIBs have their HQ in Taiwan it is the logical place to move operations – and we have confirmation that at least 5 of the major Taiwanese-based AIBs will do so. At the same time, the OEMs and ODMs are going to be moving their operations to the Mexican Free Trade Zone where they can get systems assembled and shipped into the US instead of China.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Hopping the border to pick one up in Canada might be a solution as well unless the tariffs end up incidentally bleeding into our prices as well

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hopping the border to pick one up in Canada might be a solution as well unless the tariffs end up incidentally bleeding into our prices as well
I'll take a road trip to Canada for my bros! Who wants one cheap! I'll make a weekend trip of it, and go up to Vancouver for the hell of it!

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
This looks a lot more interesting than "everything is T2 liquid mercury mirrors" in Battlefield's demo from earlier on. Mostly expect it to run like shit though, so we'll see.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, Metro has always been a "benchmark" game and if they still push the limits of hardware without raytracing then tacking it on is going to require big sacrifices elsewhere just to do 30-60fps.