new Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 cards released

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You need the 49inch version of that monitor Tuco Tuco
I bought a new bomb PC, and one of the first games I played on it was FFXI cause it had a callback campaign event shit. Feels weird playing a 18years old PS2 looking game on a brand new 2k PC.

I didn't go for curved/ultra wide for my monitor though, wanted 4K shit since I don't care much about 60+FPS, don't really play any game where I feel it'd matter too much, although I hear it's smoother even for normal gameplay than 60. Maybe when I change my PC in ~4-5 years again I'll switch it up, guess we'll see how it goes by then, atm it seems pretty split between 4k60 or 1440p120/144 with UW(or without depending on people).

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Ugh, I kinda want to buy one of these 2080s with the 15% off anything coupon from Ebay...

I'm so dumb.

• 1Picard
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

gak

<Gold Donor>
Ugh, I kinda want to buy one of these 2080s with the 15% off anything coupon from Ebay... I'm so dumb.

nvidia xplode.gif
jew 1539825995832.gif

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You need the 49inch version of that monitor Tuco Tuco
View attachment 183630
That's on my list, but the problems I have with that much wide monitor is that 80% of the information from the world is in the center 50% of the screen. That left and right 20% of your screen is so warped that it's only providing an extra 5% of usable field of view.

And for that monitor specifically, it's tough for me to want to sign up for 1080p.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I bought a new bomb PC, and one of the first games I played on it was FFXI cause it had a callback campaign event shit. Feels weird playing a 18years old PS2 looking game on a brand new 2k PC.

I didn't go for curved/ultra wide for my monitor though, wanted 4K shit since I don't care much about 60+FPS, don't really play any game where I feel it'd matter too much, although I hear it's smoother even for normal gameplay than 60. Maybe when I change my PC in ~4-5 years again I'll switch it up, guess we'll see how it goes by then, atm it seems pretty split between 4k60 or 1440p120/144 with UW(or without depending on people).
Yeah that's one of the things I'm debating since it seems like you have to choose between 4k or 100/144hz refresh rate, and i've never really gamed on either (though 4k looks great on my TV when I tried it)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Decent deal for anyone still on a 9-series card.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't have a curved monitor but it seems like it would be a more than just a gimmick as they grow past a certain size.

A subtle effect of periphial vision that reduces eyestrain. Not make or break, and it depends on an awful lot of other factors. It does seem like it would be a useful attribute for -some- hardware configurations though. Of course it also seems like you could get the same effect with a flat monitor, you'd just have to organize them differently.

But i've never even wanted a monitor that big. I get a 30 incher and i'm like... this thing is fucking huge. Just ghetto tier, I guess.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
if you get bf V for free of that, that's like another 60 bucks, which is something

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't have a curved monitor but it seems like it would be a more than just a gimmick as they grow past a certain size.

A subtle effect of periphial vision that reduces eyestrain. Not make or break, and it depends on an awful lot of other factors. It does seem like it would be a useful attribute for -some- hardware configurations though. Of course it also seems like you could get the same effect with a flat monitor, you'd just have to organize them differently.

But i've never even wanted a monitor that big. I get a 30 incher and i'm like... this thing is fucking huge. Just ghetto tier, I guess.
Yeah I could see myself getting my monitor, installing it, loading up whatever game and thinking, "Huh, I probably should've tried this out before I spent $700 on it.".

Then again I can remember the first time using my current 24" monitor I got ten years ago and being blown away at the difference in experience I got from it vs what I had before, so we'll see.

• 2Like

Del

Vyemm Raider
Yeah I could see myself getting my monitor, installing it, loading up whatever game and thinking, "Huh, I probably should've tried this out before I spent $700 on it.".

Then again I can remember the first time using my current 24" monitor I got ten years ago and being blown away at the difference in experience I got from it vs what I had before, so we'll see.
I don't think you'll regret it. Curved is not going to make or break anything imo, but everything else about the monitor is great. I still get blown away sometimes trying out new games. Racing games in ultrawide especially.

Just pray that you do well on the panel lottery. I've read about people having issues with their overclock and some people complaining about color differences on each half of the panel. I'm happy mine hasn't had any issues.

$719 is a fucking sick deal, though. Fuck you, I'm jealous.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't think you'll regret it. Curved is not going to make or break anything imo, but everything else about the monitor is great. I still get blown away sometimes trying out new games. Racing games in ultrawide especially.

Just pray that you do well on the panel lottery. I've read about people having issues with their overclock and some people complaining about color differences on each half of the panel. I'm happy mine hasn't had any issues.

$719 is a fucking sick deal, though. Fuck you, I'm jealous.
The lottery that comes with buying new equipment cracks me up. It's kind of how I know that I'm buying cutting edge hardware when you just roll the dice buying it.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
God I really don't see myself upgrading my 970. Can't find any 1080s. *Maybe* a 1070, those are only ~$300. I'm looking at the PC games I am playing and... I mean my 970 is doing just fine. The only reason I want an upgrade is so my pc can run larger armies on High settings in TW Warhammer 2. Sigh. Maybe I'll just buy a new Pixel phone instead lol.

• 2Like

Oldbased

> Than U
God I really don't see myself upgrading my 970. Can't find any 1080s. *Maybe* a 1070, those are only ~$300. I'm looking at the PC games I am playing and... I mean my 970 is doing just fine. The only reason I want an upgrade is so my pc can run larger armies on High settings in TW Warhammer 2. Sigh. Maybe I'll just buy a new Pixel phone instead lol.
In the same boat. Unless it burns up which is possible since it is 3 years old and heavy used, I don't see a need to upgrade the 970 just yet.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm only upgrading my 970 because I got a new monitor. It's a great card.

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I'm only upgrading my 970 because I got a new monitor. It's a great card.

If I was staying 1080P I would've been content with my 1070, but moving to 1440P and 144hz I wanted some more horsepower. As a side perk my GF's rig gets to upgrade from my old 770 to my 1070. Will be a big improvement for her.

Edit: Forgot to mention what i got! A used 1080ti off ebay.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I upgraded my 960 to a 2080 so I could get 1440/144 IPS. It got delivered today but I'm at work. Tbh I'm way more excited about the monitor than having a good video card. I am hoping something comes out of dlss though

• 1Like