New Rule: Should we cull all EQ-Neckbeard discussion from game threads?

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I love eq as much as the next neckbeard but its annoying clicking any mmo thread and its nothing but talks of how much fun sebilis was instead of mcdungeons, blah blah blah.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Well when there is nothing left to talk about and people want to remain active in threads / the forum they fall back on talking about game mechanics. I don't see anything wrong with that what so ever. Much better than the alternative of there being 1 active thread for months on end while we wait for some tidbit of info on TES / XYZ game. Most of these games aren't going to be out until the end of the year. That is a long time to wait for new information.

People act like they are missing some sort of earth shattering information because of the derail (As if discussing / comparing game mechanics is a complete derail /eye roll) You aren't. There is no information and once there is I assure you that everyone will be discussing that and not much else.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
How hard is it to keep discussion on one game to that game's thread(s) when it would otherwise derail shit?

Yes.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
There are wolves here, many of them
I am staggered at their hatred of me

I lie in complete fear
I call the moths to tend me
I forget the form of my sins

And drained of motion, the air itself avoids me
And void of notion, unable to perceive
Mouth barely open, almost fearing to breathe
And there is no other sound at all

LONG LIVE THE FASCIST REGIME!
TrainWreck1.gif

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
If there wasn't eq derails there would be nothing to discuss most of the time when they happen

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
No more armchair dev'ing? That's what FOH was built on.
Who said no more armchair dev'ing? For that matter who said no more EQ discussion? He is talking about putting shit into perspective, and everything in its proper place. We do not need half a dozen threads with varying degrees of EQ nostalgia puked all over the fucking place. If someone wants to make a point and wants to use EQ to make it then go for it. He wasn't planning to delete/move every post with the word Everquest in it. Just the derails that start because a new MMO isn't a copy/paste of their 1999 precious so they have to start posting walls of text about how amazing sitting at the Seb zone line for 8 hours was.

Same goes for basic armchair dev'ing. I really enjoy reading peoples ideas for future games. Not every MMO thread needs to turn into that, and they almost all do. We should of always had a official armchair designer thread. It is a fun pass time, but it is also distracting. It is SO easy to get into a dozen page long derail because someone brought up "meaningful travel" again. It isn't wrong to want people to stay on topic, and post their nonsense in the proper place. I'd expect to get nailed if I went into the Game of Thrones thread to discuss Dexter. This section should be no different.

Edit: It is worth pointing out that we have SIX threads dedicated to EQ already. Add whatever thread also gets derailed with it and the problem should be obvious. Dial it the fuck down.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Seriously, while I am on the fence about armchair designing, EQ nostalgia derails in every MMO thread is getting really tired.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Good luck attempting to draw a line between valid MMO discussion and an EQ derail. Nearly all EQ derails I see in mmo threads are similar to "Boy I really liked sprawling non-instanced dungeons, I wish MMOs would re-incorporate that.".

Either way I voted no. It's a dumb idea and no moderator will do a good job enforcing it.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Good luck attempting to draw a line between valid MMO discussion and an EQ derail. Nearly all EQ derails I see in mmo threads are similar to "Boy I really liked sprawling non-instanced dungeons, I wish MMOs would re-incorporate that.".

Either way I voted no. It's a dumb idea and no moderator will do a good job enforcing it.
It would be a nightmare to try to moderate.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its stupid to try and do so. What do people do when discussing mmos? They compare one feature of one game to another and vice versa. WoW is mentioned on these boards just as much as EQ is, or nearly as much anyway.

Lusiphur

Peasant

No one cares about the odd post referencing EQ, Tuco. It's the pages of low post count retards who come out to say anything new lacks 'depth' (whatever the fuck that means) and that everyone who is playing the game that the thread is about is some kind of mindless drone or retard. Then pages and pages of why sitting at Sebilis zone line was the height of interactive gameplay. It's OLD. If people won't move on by themselves then maybe a little helping hand is needed even if its just a PM from the moderator reminding them there already is an EQ nostalgia thread.

Cybsled

Better idea: Just ban the "EQ1forever!!!! Fuck ur MMO" posters from said thread. It's easier to moderate based on a recurring pattern for specific individuals vs. trying to go on a per post basis. They're easy to find. "I haven't played X game in 7 years, but this game sux still and EQ1/WoW Vanilla was better!!!" posts x20+ in a thread.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I like discussing MMO mechanics and alternative ideas. I am sure every time a thread starts down the road of conjecture and what if's, some people would be screaming derail. Often times, the derails are the only interesting conversations going on; as the game has little to no information to discuss. Or everything currently known has already been discussed.

The only thing I would suggest is to create a mega thread for new ideas or for what retro systems one would like to see incorporated in modern games. If you create a space for people to have discussions not tied to a particular game, then other people can bitch at them and tell them to go there when a derail starts to happen.

Tasking the mods with that sort of stuff just seems like a good way to do bad.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
It's very easy to scroll over the 4 paragraph neckbeard EQ post => critique => ad hominem attack => poisoning the well => too much brown posts.