New World

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xerge

<Donor>
That i'm glad for, it's just in ESO you have an RGB color picker for allies/enemies spell and abilities' effects which is what I guess I'm expecting.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
$20 Season Pass reward for every 3 months LOL
Mounts are finally coming in the fall
Expansion in the fall
Raid is coming (no sure about raid size)

1677085132173.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Damn, some of those changes are far out. Influence change is Fall now? Oof

May seem minor, but the color coded enemy AOE changes will probably be some of the biggest changes to war pvp in some time

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I tried to play for a bit on the last big update, but I'm pretty sure I'd need to come down with amnesia to give it a good look again. A bummer since I enjoyed my 200 some odd hours when it launched dupes, lag, exploits and all.

I am impressed they are continuing with this level of development effort despite it being low pop and likely a trickle of box sales. For people still playing are they actually moving enough cosmetics to seem worth it? I know I get quite a few via prime/twitch and the times I've popped back in game the shop stuff didn't really stand out nor look like it's was being worn by the bodies in town.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I tried to play for a bit on the last big update, but I'm pretty sure I'd need to come down with amnesia to give it a good look again. A bummer since I enjoyed my 200 some odd hours when it launched dupes, lag, exploits and all.

I am impressed they are continuing with this level of development effort despite it being low pop and likely a trickle of box sales. For people still playing are they actually moving enough cosmetics to seem worth it? I know I get quite a few via prime/twitch and the times I've popped back in game the shop stuff didn't really stand out nor look like it's was being worn by the bodies in town.
Ive been comparing it to Path of Exiles and what the lead dev said about that game in an interview. In that, he could pay to keep the lights on, pay peoples salaries and still develop good content with somewhere around 10,000 people playing. So if that holds true for that team, I cant see why New World would be that much different. Especially since it feels like Amazon cut the check with only a "hope" of a return when they developed this game. POE is more aggressive on the cash shop, but New World also has the benefit of a box purchase.

I personally bought two cosmetic armors over my playtime. But I saw other people that bought the armors, the housing items, the weapons, the tents and more. Hell, last I logged in - I noticed that tools had cosmetics now. Then music instruments and.. Im sure as shit thinking Im missing some other things as well. These arent some nickel and dime type things either. So .. they're probably doing better than you would assume they are.

If they properly support the "seasons" and get their cash shop in a better state for it - I think the game will continue to exist. Especially if they hold true to this 3 month cadence of content. I know I wouldnt mind paying for a season every now and then if they make it worth it. Then, on top of that - theyre releasing an expansion ...? It reads like its just a single zone though.. so I dont know how that will go over. But Mounts will definitely bring some people back to play all the new shiny stuff. Then it'll just be up to the quality of life changes if that's going to keep them.

But in the back of my head, Im finding it hard to believe that as much as theyve struggled with content in the past - how theyre all of a sudden going to start increasing the pace of their content like that.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
That's fair.

I can see them pumping out content. If you were in the early alpha/beta days the amount of time it took them to pivot to where the game was at launch was extremely fast by most standards. Though that obviously came with a slew of bugs so I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes the case here.

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>
Majority of people crying fowl about New World lack understanding of something, not sure what. All signs point to the game being alive and well, despite recent lower numbers, and if the game was going to get shutdown it would have happened already. I can see NW really starting to show $$$ returns later next year once they finish the basic features this year.

Does it look bad? Sure does. However, you only have riot's MMO, AoC, and this tbh. Elderscrolls Online went through the same growth and that game prints money like nobody's business.

skylan

Trakanon Raider
TL;DR - Fun as shit leveling up first time, Unfun as shit grindfest at max level.

I really enjoyed the game while I leveled up a character to max. Beautiful game, great sound effects and music. Amazing combat compared to all other mmorpgs. Love the storage system. At some point along the way though, the music stopped working on the game.. the background music was still there, but not the main music. That was the first thing that kind of soured me on it. I tried for weeks by submitting tickets, reinstalling, updating drivers, etc. Amazon CS is absolutely the worst I've ever dealt with, I just gave up.

I would have kept playing but once you get to main level and you really start to see how much of a grind it is to progress it's just daunting. You have to level up each item by farming shards or gems or orbs or some shit, I forget now it's been a few months, and you're expected to maintain multiple sets of gear with multiple sets of resists. if you want to have multiple weapon specs you need multiple multiple sets of gear to support all this. After getting to max level for a month or so and realizing I only had enough resources to fully upgrade like 2.5 pieces of gear I was just burned out. It's just too much. The grinding isn't fun. The elite chest runs are just awful zerg train opening chests and listening to people yell at eachother for not killing mobs.

I found the pickup groups to be pretty toxic, maybe it was just because I started late and wasn't as elite as everyone else. Holy shit when I was toying around with a bow build did I have people jump all over me and threaten to kick me out of the group if I used it. Maybe I got unlucky, I don't suck at mechanics or optimizing rotations but maybe it was clear I was undergeared and doing less damage and that's why I got the hate. I just know going from FFXIV to this game was night and day in community.

Pvp I couldn't really dick around with, there was too much rubberbanding , targetting issues , lag. I have fiber with mid level connection (~400gb/s d ~200gb/s up) and a pretty good gaming rig. Was a bit disappointing as it looked fun.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I put some hours into this game. The high end is definitely where it gets boring. They have this nice smooth rate of power increase when leveling 1-60. It has nice graphics, sound and pretty good combat. Then you reach 60th and see the grind. I need to do what just for a 5% increase in power?????

That is the games major flaw. A character's power level ratio to time played, is ridiculously high at 60th. What is the point of me trying to get a little bit more powerful? The crafting system needs better recipes that matter. It has some, but the cost of crafting is over the top for the perfect stats. Again it is just another example of a bad ratio. Grinding is not fun for most players. I might come back at the end of the year, but that will depend on Throne and Liberty or AoC's Alpha access status(Expecting a 2024 release for that).

Cybsled

The extra percentages matter in war and the artificial gear score limits for higher level mutations. But outside that, there isn’t a massive difference for regular play

Daidraco

A buck? Fuck that i'll take 100$ worth
The cost isnt my issue. Hell, if anything - its great news that this feature is finally making it into the game. The flip side of this, and what is most annoying about it is if they are going to monetize gear sets, then they have no incentive to itemize everything correctly. We'll continue to have a gear set for every gathering and crafting profession, every damage type, PVP etc. etc.

Xerge

<Donor>
To be fair some people like gear sets for everything - its the management of it is the issue and what some ppl want. The slots act as blackhole storage atm on the PTR

Cybsled

PTR patch notes are up - SO many changes. Big ones

-Crit damage bonuses are now additive instead of multiplicative - HUGE nerf to crit damage
-Medium and Heavy armor now have innate 10/20% freedom buff
-Musket nerf is pretty bad right now - even moving your mouse fucks your bullet accuracy. I expect them to soften this a bit
-Any abilities that damage + CC have either had the CC or damage reduced
-Grit is now 300 Con, not 300 Str
-Light and Medium have reduced fortification and resilience

Xerge

<Donor>
My favorite is the mage weapons no longer cost mana to light attack - pretty fucking big

• 1Like

Daidraco

My favorite is the mage weapons no longer cost mana to light attack - pretty fucking big
Shows how much I played Mage. I thought they already had that, but I must be thinking about Healer.

Theyre really trying to squish territory control down as much as they can with these updates and Im super psyched about that. The forum guild had basically died, so I joined a guild Lumi was interested in and the next thing I know theyre asking me to switch between each company every day. Wasnt even about the social aspect of it - that was a big nail in the coffin for me. So I hope they keep doing that shit.

Hell, I hope they eventually get around to making guilds more worth it for PVE. That raid will have some effect, but they need guild houses and such. (if they havent done that since I played last, anyways). Other guild activities, too. Just things that would create social adhesion between guild members that isnt directly tied to PVP or making gold or faction to fund PVP.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Problem is there is still nothing for content until they release that "expansion" in fall. Other than being one of like 150-200 per server which participate in wars there is still shit for content. What are you going to do, chest runs every day and do the same 4-5 dungeons over and over, farm the 20-30 top end trees per server? and then when expansion hits, people will come back for a month or two and leave again because there is nothing to do.

Which brings me to the other problem with this game, and its a major underlying one that is not fixed so easy. The 2K-3K people per server thing. This shit tech is from like late 90s, early 2K . Until they add in more cross server shit for every instanced activity the game will feel dead through the content droughts. And what does mmorpgs rely on? fucking PEOPLE TO PLAY WITH especially this one which relies on people farming shit, selling it, city ownership...etc... This game should at least have 10K per server, if not more.

• 1Solidarity