New World

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
To each their own. Running somewhere is fine the first dozen times. By 100, you fucking hate it and want the run to die
I'm ok with running "around the world" (i.e. getting to a dungeon, grinding spot, gathering spot, etc.). But, I'm 1000% in favor of adding fast travel options to get back to towns/hubs.

After grinding in a dungeon, a camp, gathering, whatever for a few hours, the last thing I want to fucking do is spend another 10-30 fucking minutes traveling back to town on auto-run. Just let me port back so I can log out.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
And that's why I said SOME fast travel. Having it for hubs is fine. Having it for every little checkpoint on the map is retarded. There needs to be SOME kind of overworld otherwise it just becomes a hub game.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Right, but then the meta becomes “easy to get to dungeon” is the big one. Shit like Diremaul in WoW or City of Mist in EQwere ghost towns because it was such a pain in the ass to get to them.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Right, but then the meta becomes “easy to get to dungeon” is the big one. Shit like Diremaul in WoW or City of Mist in EQwere ghost towns because it was such a pain in the ass to get to them.
CoM? That shit was easier to get to than Seb. The port in EJ wasn't even that far from it.

Maybe it was just a server thing, but CoM was pretty frequented on mine. Problem was, the exp 50+ was pretty dogshit and that's what kept most people away.

DM is another one that was pretty poppin' on my server because it held a lot of the pre-raid loot in era.

Out of the way dungeons are easy to add incentives to, devs are just lazy.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I will say the combat feels pretty fucking great in this game. I typically am not a fan of hack n slash type mmos, and usually I don't think aiming works at that level of latency, but somehow they've made it work in this game.

I found myself in a random tower fighting undead, trying not to butt-pull shit while I was dodging attacks and it was a lot of fun. There seemed to be a lot of interactables/consumables as well, which was cool.

My biggest fear still is that the world won't be dangerous enough(outside of ganking), much like most modern MMOs. But, this is something that might change at the higher levels of play.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Back in the day it was total aids to get a group going for Charasis or Chardok. City of Mist was easy because it was at least on the way to Seb.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Maybe I’m thinking chardock. But point is you usually had to preform, travel all the way there, then hope everyone stayed. If one person had to drop, you were fucked because it was in the boonies and PUG was non-existent for the most part

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Most of these decade+ guilds are usually really like 2-3 people who do the work and then about 10-20 hanger ons that suck or live in the glory days. Watched all sorts of "ELITE PVP GUILDS!!!!!11" get destroyed in Arche Age, Last Oasis, Atlas, Guild Wars 2, etc by just the most recent hardcore poopsocker guild that recruits the best talent. They usually end up toxic as fuck and corrupt and fizzle after one or two games, but the old guard just can't hang anymore.

Yeah, we did pretty well in GW2... Dunno what pole your smoking

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Maybe I’m thinking chardock. But point is you usually had to preform, travel all the way there, then hope everyone stayed. If one person had to drop, you were fucked because it was in the boonies and PUG was non-existent for the most part
Chardok wasn't really too terrible either, since you had Skyfire port pretty close or even Dreadlands, plus you could bind close in FV.

You're probably thinking of Charasis/Howling Stones.

Cybsled

probably, it’s been like 20 years. One of those dungeons took forever to get to and was always 100% abandoned

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
From NDA alpha patch notes

Premium Currency Shop
New World is introducing in-game purchases for special cosmetic items for players and their in-game homes. We will sell cosmetics, in the form of item skins, dyes, Company crests, and emotes. We may sell quality-of-life items or boosts that will help players improve their time spent leveling up their character and trade skill experience. We’re committed on keeping the competitive systems fair and balanced for all customers, and purchases will not provide a competitive edge over another player who chooses not to purchase additional items.

RIP

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

You're probably thinking Chardok or Howling Stones (Charsis). But...that's the thing, that became a charm of the game. Stuff from those dungeons was more valuable, and getting a group to go there often allowed for more exp/loot because they were out of the way. Yeah, in an actual "world", not everything is perfectly utilized. There are frustrations, and that leads people to plan and overcome them with others. There is a delicate balance there (It obviously can't be too frustrating, or its just a pain in the balls and no one will do it...but it shouldn't all be served up to be max utilized; let the players do things).

Just reading these notes...Honestly it looks like they are falling into the trap all modern MMOs do. They are trying to make a great game. Except, no matter how good they make it--it will be second rate to a single player experience, because of the baggage that comes with being available to so many people. So it will always be a 'worse' game than you can play on your own.

Essentially, the biggest curse of modern MMOs is developers over-designing the game, and under-designing the world. As someone else said...most modern MMOs don't even really need their 'worlds'--cities are just 3d lobbies, and you enter into the mini-game you want to do for 30 minutes before you log. Boring. Especially when I could just be playing any number of small scale multi-player games that do it much better.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
QoL shit is whatever and to be expected nowadays.
The term "quality-of-life" has really earned its place in the lexicon of soulless buzzwords describing games in the last decade or so. I see it as an admission of greed/sadism for witholding a feature or just plain ignorance of its necessity, take your pick.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xerge

<Donor>
QoL shit is whatever and to be expected nowadays. But straight up selling progress? Lmao. Talk about DOA.

Does this game also have a monthly fee attached?
Pretty sure its buy to play so no fee, it's also cheap too on steam. Kind of half expected a store tho.

Cybsled

Depends where they get their feedback

Western Market: FUCK YOU, P2W
Korean/Chinese Market: Business as usual

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
You're probably thinking Chardok or Howling Stones (Charsis). But...that's the thing, that became a charm of the game. Stuff from those dungeons was more valuable, and getting a group to go there often allowed for more exp/loot because they were out of the way. Yeah, in an actual "world", not everything is perfectly utilized. There are frustrations, and that leads people to plan and overcome them with others. There is a delicate balance there (It obviously can't be too frustrating, or its just a pain in the balls and no one will do it...but it shouldn't all be served up to be max utilized; let the players do things).

Just reading these notes...Honestly it looks like they are falling into the trap all modern MMOs do. They are trying to make a great game. Except, no matter how good they make it--it will be second rate to a single player experience, because of the baggage that comes with being available to so many people. So it will always be a 'worse' game than you can play on your own.

Essentially, the biggest curse of modern MMOs is developers over-designing the game, and under-designing the world. As someone else said...most modern MMOs don't even really need their 'worlds'--cities are just 3d lobbies, and you enter into the mini-game you want to do for 30 minutes before you log. Boring. Especially when I could just be playing any number of small scale multi-player games that do it much better.
This. This is the thing right here. I am not a Koster SWG players are the content guy but so much of the richness of EQ came out of the DnD campaign roots of the design, where there was a world with factions, rivalries that the player was dropped into and then earned + or - with. Where you fit into the story depended upon your race/religion/class but also your actions, and you would in lots of cases if not all change that with enough work (ie killing) and go from KOS in on place to KOS in another. The relative size of the world compared to the teleport spots also made the world feel huge. Fast travel, though, is just a quality of life thing where no one wants to go back to the old way.

I wouldn't have expected to see "boosts" so soon but its inevitable. GW2 had them I think and it wasn't the end of the world, particularly for trade skills. No game with have folks playing 2000+ hours again in 5 months at launch like EQ did, speaking from personal experience. People want different things from games in 2021 than in 1999. They do get such a bad wrap and in a territorially competitive game I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of negative "P2W" feedback at least in the first few months after launch.

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
If "skips" like boosts and fast travel are desirable things what does that really say about the design in the first place? This tired vertical-only progression end/elder game shit and related tropes have been stagnating MMOs for decades now and they've gotta go...but probably won't because devs are lazy, the players are even lazier, and good money never ceases to be thrown after bad.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Watched a couple of the videos, Force Gaming and then another video by another guy playing a Dex fighter doing DPS on the same run, Ser Medieval? who did a great job showing off the combat and the UI, weapon switching, etc. He said a couple of things as asides that I didn't know that bummed me out: 1) It didn't sound like there are any open world Public Events at this point, as he intimated that his something they could do pretty easily going into the future; I assume that means they aren't in now. 2) He there are two overarching factions you can switch between every 120 days, that you couldn't switch to the one with the most territory. I had hoped for more a more complex faction system than that, as I just commented on above.
Neither of these things are deal breakers obviously. Game looks great, personally I don't see anything here that dissuades me, just lets a little air out of the hype balloon, which was inevitable, of course.

Last edited: