Xerge

<Donor>
update on cash shop
nwcs.png

• 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Sellin XP potions while you are still fine tuning the game seems sleazy. If you think the XP rate is slow enough that people want to buy xp potions... increase it?

That said, this being a B2P game I expected stuff like this but how they're trying to spin it is complete BS.

Cybsled

Ya, XP potions and the like is Korean/Chinese MMO cash grab gatcha game shit. I know MMOs have level boosts, but they tend to be later in the game's life cycle and serve mostly as catch-up mechanics. Offering the same stuff on day 1 would basically make people suspect XP gains are intentionally shitty in order to force people to buy the boosters.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am confused why they are in a rush to get people to end game. If anything an MMO wants to draw out the leveling as long as possible. Players will devour your end game faster than you can ever make it and get bored.

Casuals are your bread and butter, as they slowly progress and do content at a glacial place compared to the min/maxer. You don't want them going faster.

Its more laughable they think its the casual player with little time that will pay for the majority of any kind of exp boost. Its the hardcore that will devour it to get everything done asap. The casual guy playing maybe 5-10 hours a week doesn't care and is just trotting along at his own pace.

Also it should be something for months if not years down the line, as others have said. This just makes it seem like they have no confidence they will be around then, so they want to get as much influx of cash as possible right away.

Like I said before, I have a feeling Lost Ark will be the amazon game I am playing(they are publishing) in the end, instead of this.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Wow, I knew there would be backlash but holy shit the amount of crying over this. There were some boosts in the GW2 shop from the getgo, I think? I don't remember this level of complaining but that game launched in 2012 and ESO launched in 2015 before we became a country of pure Grade A bitches. Nevertheless, with Cinge's argument, the only thing with B2P as opposed to the Sub model is that once you buy the game, they don't care how long you take, they just want you engaging in the shop, so the more currency you buy to buy small boosts and dyes and skins and models and gadgets and trinkets and fluff and Cosmetics, etc, the better.

Cinge is correct, however, that is the hardcore crowd that will take advantage of whatever advantage they can get their hands on.

It really depends on how they balance them out but the game didn't need this controversy derailing the hype train.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I vaguely remember GW2 having boosts like this too, but they were basically a waste of money for anyone who had a fair amount of time. They were like 10 or 15% xp or some shit, and you could level just fine without them and it really didn't fucking do anything because you'd hit the cap soon enough plus you had to clear the fucking zones for... points or whatever the fuck it was, so even if you paid for faster leveling, you still had to go and do all the leveling shit regardless, so it was really a big fucking waste of money. I guess it's hard to say if this will be the case in this but I kinda expect the same thing. As long as they don't build the game around the assumption you use these, it's kinda whatever in my book.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Seems fine especially if they're adding in later so people can "catch up" after the initial push.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

They hit the nail on the head. One thing EQ did right (Again a throw back from table top) was make leveling important through a huge portion of a characters life; experience was always valuable (Except for a small group of super poop sockers through a couple expansions). And you spent long enough in levels that learning the content for your level was really valuable.

If nothing matters but endgame, then your leveling should be done in a few hours--levels should be nothing more than a tutorial. These games need to stop simply holding onto RPG mechanics because its 'always been done that way'. Either levels are important and the game is fleshed out around each level cluster, and it takes a long time to level, or it shouldn't take really any time.

As others have said, too--different times in a game's life cycle. If your game is 4-5 years old and has lop-sided endgame pops, level boosts are more understandable.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
That's the problem with content that doesn't use a scaling system. Each dungeon is geared toward a level and they out leveled it during the press demo. Which makes me wonder about the unique loot that comes from the expeditions. How good will the loot be? Will it be a WoW thing where you go crazy over deadmines drops only to level up later and replace with greens/crafted.

This is another victim of the "game starts at level cap" mentality. Lower level dungeons are stupid and meaningless. If your game starts at endgame, there should be a single starter dungeon that any group of idiots can do (For practice and starter gear). And then max level dungeons that progress in difficulty but are all for max level people (And some kind of in game lore to signify the different difficulties).

If you want to make mid-level or low level dungeons...then people need to be spending days or weeks in those levels. (And I'm not sure if that will work in this kind of highly scripted/instanced MMO. I don't think we'll see that kind of "each level is meaningful" design being viable again until we have far better AI in games and move away from scripting encounters)

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Blame WoW devs for 10+ years of "the game starts at max level."

• 3Like
  • 2Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
If it's just xp pots and crafting junk that isn't required ala GW2 then they will be doing cash shops right. Fuck that Steve guy right up his prolapsed anus with broken glass and lemon juice.

• 1Like

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Definitely reads as legitimate to me but you cant tell me chimping out about another game going P2W isnt an amazing PR move for a guy a lot of people are suspicious of due to his past with P2W MMOs

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am confused. Was the guy who is making AoC, one of the kings of p2w, complaining about boost possibly being in new world?

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yep, and perhaps he saw first hand why that kind of system is a failure, as he stated.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
IDK why it's so hard. If you already pay a monthly sub its outright bullshit to have pay to win xp cash shop. if the game was free to play in general it would be an argument.

An RPG starts at level fucking one. That is the end of it. The max level poopsock content is the gravy.

Cybsled

They hit the nail on the head. One thing EQ did right (Again a throw back from table top) was make leveling important through a huge portion of a characters life; experience was always valuable (Except for a small group of super poop sockers through a couple expansions). And you spent long enough in levels that learning the content for your level was really valuable

EQ1 used slow leveling to hide incomplete content as well. Think about how many times people killed something that had cloth cap loot pools or even incompl
Yep, and perhaps he saw first hand why that kind of system is a failure, as he stated.

He played AA, he should 100% know what p2w looks like. Their entire crafting and gearing system basically revolves around store bought shit for RL money