New World

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xevy

Log Wizard
I watched some streams during the last wave of beta and everyone's fun lasted for about 2 days tops and then it was crickets. Even the forums/subreddit were dead. And it has only been a couple months since than. I don't see how they created enough content since than to maintain people's interest for more than a week tops.
Think the last non NDA beta was last August. They've added plenty of content since then including dungeons (didn't exist) and two high end zones (didn't exist) as well as a bunch of other changes. The game was so basic last visible beta they literally paused the game an entire year.

So it is a very different game than it was the last anyone saw it on Twitch or Youtube.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am enjoying the game for the moment despite the bugs. Got booted first time I tried fishing.

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
My FPS for whatever reason won’t go above 60. I have it set to uncapped, and my system is plenty peoerful(3090, i9, etc.). Any tips?

Black_Death

Golden Knight of the Realm
1626812661538.png

Setting under visuals. Defaults to 60 fps.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I'll see you in a couple weeks when the game is dead.

Genuinely hope I'm wrong, but there's a lot of copium being passed around.
IMO it all depends on what end game they have. If its full on PvP type shit it will last a few weeks maybe a month tops after you hit cap. If they have some PvE shit too well then it might be longer. Different strokes for different folks, but IMO a MMORPG game cannot be carried by 20v20 PVP alone. So lets hoppe they have some meaningful PvE content at end game or this will be dead.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I'll see you in a couple weeks when the game is dead.

Genuinely hope I'm wrong, but there's a lot of copium being passed around.
This is probably the least hyped MMO for the amount of budget in it I've seen. Like, most MMOers I knew of didn't even have preorder and some didn't even knew the game existed. I've been in alpha for a while and I think the general consensus is it's a good game, but the endgame is definitely lacking, but Amazon has stated they know that. They specifically slowed leveling because they want to get content out for endgame grinders, but they don't have it yet. Compared to Ashes of Creation I'd say there's like 20% the hype that game has gotten. Ashes promises everything and people definitely gobbling that shit up, but they've dodged their launch and promises so they can say "two more years and it'll be good!" New World unfortunately said "we're sorry for the delay, here's the game!... for now!"

Could it be dead in a week? Maybe. Probably not. Will it be dead in a month or two? Definitely likely, but most MMOs are at this point. Will it come back with some big changes after that point? I'd bet money on it.

It's all dependent on feedback and what community they want their game to be FOR at this point.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
IMO it all depends on what end game they have. If its full on PvP type shit it will last a few weeks maybe a month tops after you hit cap. If they have some PvE shit too well then it might be longer. Different strokes for different folks, but IMO a MMORPG game cannot be carried by 20v20 PVP alone. So lets hoppe they have some meaningful PvE content at end game or this will be dead.
I saw some "off-map" areas that whoever was streaming said was more content (pve) to come at or after launch. No clue if that's accurate or not as i've not played and hardly done any research.

I'm looking at this as a "new" adventure to undertake / new world to check out with a couple buds and for $40 with no commitment don't really see how it could fail in that aspect.

• 2Like

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
As far as I can tell, the only way this game survives past 2 weeks is if the PvP is so god damn fun and repeatable that people keep playing it. That also relies on a huge PvP playerbase.

I just built a new gaming PC for the first time since, like, 2007. I hope the game does rock and that it stays alive so I can use this new beast. But I'm not super hopeful because unlike some copium smokers, I am able to remember all the other failed MMORPG's that didn't have enough content and could not make it appear in such a short period of time.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
In 2 years that I've played various iterations of this game it still has no solid core imo and not enough of any content at the start to retain bodies long term which is a shame since they have pumped out changes faster than any company I've ever seen this last year.

I could see the game snatching people that play stuff like chivalry etc, but the "normal" MMO (WoW/FFXIV/GW2) etc. crowd is going to ditch as soon as flavor of the month dries up.

But for $40 it's an easy buy even if you are on the fence. You might not get 100 or 1000 hours but you'll get your monies worth fucking around, exploring the world and such just because it's new.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This is probably the least hyped MMO for the amount of budget in it I've seen. Like, most MMOers I knew of didn't even have preorder and some didn't even knew the game existed. I've been in alpha for a while and I think the general consensus is it's a good game, but the endgame is definitely lacking, but Amazon has stated they know that. They specifically slowed leveling because they want to get content out for endgame grinders, but they don't have it yet. Compared to Ashes of Creation I'd say there's like 20% the hype that game has gotten. Ashes promises everything and people definitely gobbling that shit up, but they've dodged their launch and promises so they can say "two more years and it'll be good!" New World unfortunately said "we're sorry for the delay, here's the game!... for now!"

Could it be dead in a week? Maybe. Probably not. Will it be dead in a month or two? Definitely likely, but most MMOs are at this point. Will it come back with some big changes after that point? I'd bet money on it.

It's all dependent on feedback and what community they want their game to be FOR at this point.
This is what I said last week. For a game coming out in a month, there's almost zero hype. That doesn't bode well.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not sure this game is for me.

Game hitches too much. I'm getting around 70-100 fps most of the time. But I think it's a combination of game rendering and network rubber-banding that's producing the hitching effect. Gives me motion sickness.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
This is what I said last week. For a game coming out in a month, there's almost zero hype. That doesn't bode well.
There is like 300k+ people watching on twitch at least today (sponsored ofc) so i'm assuming that might change a very small amount. I don't see why anyone would compare to any other MMO since all the ones people play currently have been out 10 years or more. Obviously need "stuff" to do but it's not like I have to make a commitment of any time duration upon purchase as Chimney is saying.

UI looks good, world looks good, combat looks fun, weapon based skills/talent are a nice change. Skeptical of the 3 factions and the weapon balance, stuff to do that matters/endgame, and leveling time. But as others have mentioned lack of "core vision" is concerning for sure.

No need to crown this for anything other than what it is, something new/different.

-thats my few hours take

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
"Patch notes: .0093922: Fixed an issue that banned 75% of the player base when milking cows, and Banned the developer who doesn't know how to type."

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Noted:

If I see a cow and have an icon that allows me to milk it I should just slowly walk away.

Its A Trap GIF

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Tide27

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think a lot of people love the launch time and newness of most moms.

I dont think many of us could have predicted that even 10 to 15 years later, we would still be playing the same 3 to 4 mmos with nothing but failed attempt after attempt at any new ones succeeding.

While I believe that the main mmos like wow, ff14, gw2, and eso all have respective positives and negatives, I sure am ready for a change.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like