New World

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yes? (well, it's closed, but whatever)

Are you saying because it's a beta, we should expect the servers to go down every day to address instability?

I mean, I suppose I could buy that. The goal of a beta is to fix shit that's messed up. But in this case, server instability should be one of the few things that isn't an issue every single day. Once again, it's Amazon. If they can't figure out server stability, I'm a bit concerned about any actual problems that pop up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Yeah you can makes ome pretty awful looking trannies in this game, lol.
Hitting "Randomize Appearance" in the character creation screen was basically my experience with trying to find a pub that served plain old burgers & beer in Seattle last week.
(I ended up finding a mexican place that had a mostly normal menu, and had a woman sit down next to me after about 10 mins. She looked like Steve Buscemi with a pixie cut and bigger biceps and was pounding "ginger beer", whatever the fuck that is...")

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So the servers are down again for maintenance to deal with "server instability." Seems like they've done this almost every single day and it's done fuckall.

I'm a bit concerned here how they can't seem to get a handle on this, considering it's Amazon.

Can only hope it doesn't carry over to launch and they learn all they need from this test. But yes amazon of all people should have zero issues with servers. Probably first time a mmo company isnt reliant on a 3rd party for server hosting and just does it themself.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I kind of wonder if this game is using secondary server hardware. It gives purpose to older equipment. Amazon wants to compete with other games. One way to do this would be to attempt to make use of replaced hardware. This way they can more easily get by with not charging a monthly fee, unlike Ashes of Creation's plan. It makes Amazon more competitive. It does also help to have a good game.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Is there anything close to a pet class in this game? I like lazy gaming and Everquest Beastlord was my fucking jam when Luclin came out.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yes? (well, it's closed, but whatever)

Are you saying because it's a beta, we should expect the servers to go down every day to address instability?

I mean, I suppose I could buy that. The goal of a beta is to fix shit that's messed up. But in this case, server instability should be one of the few things that isn't an issue every single day. Once again, it's Amazon. If they can't figure out server stability, I'm a bit concerned about any actual problems that pop up.
It's Amazon. I'm sure the underlying infrastructure is amazing. And I'm sure the error-reporting is amazing too, on an application level and an infrastructure level.

That means every day they're getting tons of logs with crashes, exceptions, errors, warnings, etc. And every day they're bringing servers down to patch the application, or fix the underlying infrastructure, because this is a beta. If this was a live service, they'd probably just divert the population over to new server instances in the cloud that are already patched, then take down the old ones.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is why heavy armor sucks. Hardly any magic resist and you can't dodge as good. I believe the meta in alpha was using light armor + sword and shield, but that could have changed.

From my PoV compared to melee/bow/gun magic users are very rare. I can see why heavy armor is the preferred. You can still dodge abilities and use block more. Also not 100% sure, but you could also gem your gear with fire resist iirc?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

ismaris

Silver Knight of the Realm
I kind of wonder if this game is using secondary server hardware. It gives purpose to older equipment. Amazon wants to compete with other games. One way to do this would be to attempt to make use of replaced hardware. This way they can more easily get by with not charging a monthly fee, unlike Ashes of Creation's plan. It makes Amazon more competitive. It does also help to have a good game.

I 1000% guarantee Amazon is dogfooding AWS for their underlying infrastructure. I do infrastructure/devops shit for a living, and I'm not necessarily surprised that the servers aren't stable as they are actively developing the codebase, as it is still Beta. You adjust some things, move the bottleneck down the line, etc.. Remember Vanilla WoW? Kalimdor was unplayable for a good bit. Admittedly that was 16 years ago, and Blizzard didn't have the benefit of EC2/AWS services, at wholesale prices.

Xerge

<Donor>
Is there anything close to a pet class in this game? I like lazy gaming and Everquest Beastlord was my fucking jam when Luclin came out.
Not yet but there's lore on the island that indicates beast taming so who knows. I'd love to tame a wolf and run around with a musket

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ili

Blackwing Lair Raider
From my PoV compared to melee/bow/gun magic users are very rare. I can see why heavy armor is the preferred. You can still dodge abilities and use block more. Also not 100% sure, but you could also gem your gear with fire resist iirc?
I believe the light armor is they only armor that you can roll in, which is OP when it comes to pvp, also light armor gives you speed. Heavy armor puts your character into a heavy state. Not sure if the stagger stuff is still in but it used to be the meta. Since everyone and their mother is using heavy armor for pve right now, light + magic is what is going to win you solo pvp battles right now, but If you are running around with a gank quad of 4+ people its not going to matter as much.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Light armor lets your dodge go further yes(the roll) but heavy you can still dodge, you just do a side step only. Heavy is the one that makes you not be interrupted iirc. Also light gives 20% damage. Not sure about the speed part.

But again you come across far more people using physical attacks atm. Granted maybe this changes when everyone has their weapon gemmed that turns their attacks into a magical type of damage. Maybe thats why alpha was light.

ismaris

Light armor lets your dodge go further yes(the roll) but heavy you can still dodge, you just do a side step only. Heavy is the one that makes you not be interrupted iirc. Also light gives 20% damage. Not sure about the speed part.

But again you come across far more people using physical attacks atm. Granted maybe this changes when everyone has their weapon gemmed that turns their attacks into a magical type of damage. Maybe thats why alpha was light.
Is medium armor at all viable in pvp builds?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ya. Down in Cutlass, I finally started doing random quests and there is one quest line that surrounds taming lore. Maybe the same one Xerge is talking about. I can see the pet class coming in, but adding in something like that is probably a stretch right now with how much other shit they have to do. Theres also lands you cant get to. A few quests that you pick up in higher level locations that will take you to those places and you just cant reach them and end up abandoning them. They have more content in the pipe line, but I believe all that stuff is either being worked on by another set of team members for a later release or ... they just outright paused that shit while they put out all the fires.

The server instability may be the chief reason they are bringing the servers down, but they are fixing other stuff each time too. Even the director apologized for the inconvenience the server instability and the constant issue of servers coming down (in beta of all things). As for proof they are attempting to fix other stuff at the same time, my g/f's PC-2070 Super, used to just randomly black screen crash. Even with a band aid on the issue making it windowed, it would still eventually do it. Whatever fix they put it, the game takes much longer before itll do the same thing again, if at all.

Im at a level right now that I can tell whether I want to play the game at launch or not, and I do. But any big grinds, Im steering away from till retail however. Ive started experimenting with weapons and crafting to see where Im going to focus in retail for now.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is medium armor at all viable in pvp builds?
Normally, yes they would be. But at this level (tier 3 for example below) the faction armor invalidates why you should use Medium and just go full blown into Light or Heavy. At level 60 however, if you check out your "unlearned" section, you can see that faction armor at peak falls behind crafted. At which point, you could make an argument that Medium armor has its uses. Speaking specifically about resists only. If you craft and all of your gear has a perk that gives 15% more damage to Execute (2h axe skill) then you can have a one trick pony class for example. But that doesnt have anything to do with resists and mobility, cause those perks are available on other armors as well.

CraftedGloves.jpg

FactionGloves.jpg

• 1Like

ismaris

Normally, yes they would be. But at this level (tier 3 for example below) the faction armor invalidates why you should use Medium and just go full blown into Light or Heavy. At level 60 however, if you check out your "unlearned" section, you can see that faction armor at peak falls behind crafted. At which point, you could make an argument that Medium armor has its uses. Speaking specifically about resists only. If you craft and all of your gear has a perk that gives 15% more damage to Execute (2h axe skill) then you can have a one trick pony class for example. But that doesnt have anything to do with resists and mobility, cause those perks are available on other armors as well.

View attachment 364104
View attachment 364105

Okay, interesting. I was proceeding down medium armor for I suppose legacy reasons, given I wanted to be a sort of ranged bow/musket dps playstyle, where possible. Relatedly, Is bow/musket at all viable in pvp?

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Light: While wearing light armor, your dodge is a quick roll covering a lot of distance. You gain a 20% damage bonus while in the light armor weight category.

Normal: While wearing normal weight armor, your dodge is a quick hop. You deal 10% damage and crowd control debuffs you apply last 10% longer.

Heavy: While wearing heavy armor, your dodge is a slow sidestep. You gain 15% and crowd control debuffs increase your block stability you apply last 20% longer.

Ive read the idea is to carry two sets, one elemental and the other physical. Dunno if you can switch armor during pvp though so not sure if it would really help. There is also gems to give more resistances.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
So, in previous alphas the light/medium/heavy worked like Higher elemental at the light end and higher phys at the Heavy end, but all the faction gear is 1:1 for all pieces. I didn't check too hard if that's JUST the faction gear (for PVP purposes) or if it's all gear. If so that definitely makes heavy or medium the choice because the second some one closes the gap and starts light/heavy attacking you, you'll want that armor. The elemental mitigation comes more into play in large group fights or openers, but after that it's nuts to nuts fighting for the most part as most people are getting a slow/CC to keep people from running once their weapons reach a certain level.

Pro tip: You can wear medium in every slot except the chest, wear a light chestpiece, and you'll be at light threshold. Gives you nearly full benefit from medium armor stats (if they even really matter anymore) while giving you the far roll and 20% more damage. Not sure if it works with all heavy/med BP as well, but I think when we tested it it did.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I read something that said if you do full heavy armor and just dump the shield you come in at medium. Not sure if anyone can confirm that.

But if you're not doing sword and board, there's no reason to carry the shield around. And it counts against your armor weight.