New World

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I think the criticism of this game is somewhat over the top.
1627396203255.png

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Honestly, I think the criticism of this game is somewhat over the top. I understand the PvP combat isn't balanced and the whole just being able to run away at any time is busted, but for what it is, I think the game is solid.

The game start great. You finish it to fast, and then it falls apart at the top end....thats where you will see the fractures in the game pillars.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
If they fix the travel or at least give some QoL there (take the respawn to Inn down to 15 minutes) it would help a lot.

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

Xerge

<Donor>
There's really only an issue with travel in the early game. Once you explore, unlock settlements, wayshrines, and collect azoth I find myself only running to quest locations and new spots. I'm totally fine with this. The game does a great job so far of 'leveling you up' in regards to game play. I do think the game could benefit from a timed taxi system like the boats of old EQ; maybe a carriage that crosses the land and holds x amount of players and you can hitch a safe ride.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Honestly, I think the criticism of this game is somewhat over the top.
Nah. It's a garbage game. Laughably bad combat, world design that looks like they bought elements from a Unity store for $50 and threw them together in a few days. Did I mention the bad combat? It was designed by toddlers. Character models and animations are also bottom of the barrel.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I'm getting mixed reviews. Does New World have meaningful travel? Hope so, it's what the players crave!

Anyone who thinks this travel system is palpable or tolerable is fucked in the head.

Most people playing the game in area chat and forums agree it needs to be toned down with some quality of life additions. It's damn near 60% of the chat I see in Area on US East.

Wouldn't take much and people agree. Early game is grabbing attention to players and when you are traveling for what amounts from Undercity to Tarren Mill on foot at walking speed over and over and over again because the POI's are so fucking spread out, you will lose people because of it. A lot of people who are tired of that game mechanic and want to play, not run/walk.

Doesn't surprise me - most of the Bozo's running the show here at Amazon games came from SOE. So any critique will get met with some idiot ego fuck who thinks their design model shouldn't change in the last 20 years with a new generation of gamers. Which will result in a churn rate of 35% of which "Oh so we fixed travel in the new update here 6 months later come back we sucked then we are better now" because some of these jack wagons cannot see the forest for the trees. (As they run through them too! (Here all night folks)

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1EyeRoll
  • 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Anyone who thinks this travel system is palpable or tolerable is fucked in the head.

Most people playing the game in area chat and forums agree it needs to be toned down with some quality of life additions. It's damn near 60% of the chat I see in Area on US East.

Wouldn't take much and people agree. Early game is grabbing attention to players and when you are traveling for what amounts from Undercity to Tarren Mill on foot at walking speed over and over and over again because the POI's are so fucking spread out, you will lose people because of it. A lot of people who are tired of that game mechanic and want to play, not run/walk.

Doesn't surprise me - most of the Bozo's running the show here at Amazon games came from SOE. So any critique will get met with some idiot ego fuck who thinks their design model shouldn't change in the last 20 years with a new generation of gamers. Which will result in a churn rate of 35% of which "Oh so we fixed travel in the new update here 6 months later come back we sucked then we are better now" because some of these jack wagons cannot see the forest for the trees.
As I understand it, though, as you level up, fast travel azoth cost becomes a minimal barrier; just like respec (at least initially for respec, I don't know if it scales/increases over time/use). Its not a very big world so in order to give it any scale they have to keep travel times somewhat slow. One thing I found interesting last night is you can't flag PVP and fast travel. If you flag, it has to be done is a sanctuary and then you have to run to wherever the fight is. There won't be teleporting gank squads roaming all over Aeturnum.

I mean, PVP isn't my thing but the flagging combined with the slower travel is a big part of PVP strategy. If you speed up the travel, you fundamentally change how the PVP is played, and since the PVP is conducted in the Overworld and not on a separate map like ESO or GW2 or in arenas like WoW, it's a core concept that can't be easily changed.

Edit: One other thing about this world more than others, that makes it a little bit more like EQ: This world is intended to be seen at a slower pace. Its not just made up of the big POI and instance entrances like in some MMOs. The world between isn't intended as filler. There are resource nodes, really actual vital spots, that can be found off the road hidden back in areas that are meant to be discovered. Iron Veins, Platinum Ore, High level plants and ores in lower level areas, all would be potentially missed if you were speed through on a mount, for instance. You can find players mining by listening for the sounds of picks while running, or unexpected animal spawns by the sound of muskets firing. I found the/an elk spawn by the sound of multiple muskets shooting at something and going to check it out.

It was right at an Invasion site, which turned into another cool ad hoc/emergent moment: I got sick of the level 25 Brutal mobs preventing the Elk hunt from going forward, so as a level 20 with my Life Staff I starting trying to single pull the Invasion mobs and just wear them down. I got the Adapt way down and a couple of other Elk hunters joined in and we started trying to clear the invasion site or at least make it so we could hunt without being overwhelmed, and one of them got too eager and overpulled, now its 6 on 4, and just then
a 25+ level Invasion clearing crew with an Azoth staff rolls in and saves our bacon, we follow them and clear the rest of the Invasion sites in the area.

I am playing this rather than FF14, which I just started and really adore as well, knowing this is going away in less than a week and I will have to start over. I think they have something here. :) Will it last? That's up to how the Devs manage their own reactions to the community and the meta.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Foaming

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't play MMOs that allow PvP balance to affect a single aspect of PvE. This is my line in the sand.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I don't play MMOs that allow PvP balance to affect a single aspect of PvE. This is my line in the sand.

What PvE content though? Aside the world which is like 99% solo, we have a few dungeons that are laughably easy by mmo terms. This is at its core a level up, gear up, and PvP game, bro.

• 3Like

Xerge

<Donor>
That's why we really need a road map at this rate. Leaderboards for dungeons could be an end game, they could add 2v2/3v3 arenas for small scale pvp fix. Honestly the game is just getting started imo and a lot of ppl talk about the game like it's going to be released and dumped. Especially here where the majority have actually lived through major mmo launches.

My biggest hype is for what's to come because i'm enjoying the current game enough to log in day to day knowing my shit is gone in less than a week

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As I said before I wouldn't mind the ability to just fast travel to town from anywhere in the world. Keep restrictions on if pvp flagged or encumbered etc. But I also think a lot of people ignore, myself included, the campfires. You can basically set one right outside town , then just esc > respawn back to it when done. Its basically fast travel. THough it does damage your gear , as it acts like a death. If that is a burden at end game I dunno, but its wasnt a issue for me. I just barely used it because A) I forgot and B) Used the time running back to town to gather.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
In a way, I agree that once you have shrines opened up and you're max or near capped on Azoth all the time that Travel is a lot more tolerable. But when you dont have them, or you're grouping with someone that doesnt have the ones you have, shit just f'n sucks. Coaches would be nice to have between cities that you havent been to yet, or dont have the Azoth for but have the Gold.

But honestly, Mounts would go a long way towards making the game better. Everyone says it'll make the game smaller but I dont think that for a second. If it does get smaller, then good. Half the places you gotta go are kilometers away with nothing interesting in between. If you're actually reading and following the leveling path, you're in the same zones for quite a while.

You're doing the same handful of quests for your faction and town board over and over and over with a few unique ones in between. When you're in Cutlass, its just awful going anywhere in that zone and it even has two shrines you can go to. Every single travel path has tigers, boars and alligators that run faster than you and have some kind of pounce that knocks you down. Easy to kill, sure. But ffs, it takes a good 20 minutes if not more to reach the other side of the zone to kill 6-7 things, loot 3-4 chests and then another 20 minutes back. I think the gameplay loop is entertaining and can only get better, but that travel part of this MMO is going to kill any casual's desire to log in.

We have yet to see any max tier dungeons and raid content, but I would imagine theyre a bit harder than the leveling dungeons where people have rarely grouped with each other. Sounds like that would just be a cluster fuck. Thats also true across most MMO's Ive played. So I dont know what anyone is expecting there. Also, it's a bit harder to grind those dungeons if your group isnt farming orbs left and right.

Campfires are nice for a respawn, but whoever thought of that system is f'n retarded.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Thats another thing they need to adjust, People killing themselves to fast travel. This should not be happening.

• 3Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thats another thing they need to adjust, People killing themselves to fast travel. This should not be happening.

Maybe, but how do you stop it? Dying to get to your spawn point as a means of quickly traveling across a map or world has been a staple in MMOs. There's already a penalty for death. Anything more severe and you probably get crying about being too penalized for death.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Uhh, harsher death penalty usually works. If youre allowing people to kill themselves to travel, your death system sucks and has not enough negatives.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Uhh, harsher death penalty usually works. If youre allowing people to kill themselves to travel, your death system sucks and has not enough negatives.

I mean outside leaving your items on your corpse, not much deters players when it comes to saving time traveling. Debuffs, res sickness, even losing exp doesn't stop players from doing it. And no one is going to want the kind of harsh death penalty that it would take for people to stop dying just to travel across the map.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
And there is the problem in a nutshell. I mean jsut think about this. People killing themselves to travel. Umm how bout putting in other systems to quickly travel. I mean isnt this ring out as a major problem when your players are killing themselves to travel?

Also death issue would be solved with exp loss at death. PvE of course, PvP should be left alone.

• 2Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
And there is the problem in a nutshell. I mean jsut think about this. People killing themselves to travel. Umm how bout putting in other systems to quickly travel. I mean isnt this ring out as a major problem when your players are killing themselves to travel?

Bingo.

All of this would be fixed with a simple 15 min CD fix on the Inn respawn timer. This is literally all they have to do.

Unless they are padding travel time right now to lock people from getting too deep in the game and seeing all the broken shit end game that isn't finished. (Complete speculation)