New World

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So I went ahead and loaded up the game. It's almost 10pm (Central) my time and the two servers I have characters on are:
Valhalla (Level 60) with 1 person in Queue and Lilith (Level 9) with 500 people in Queue.
Maramma has 1600 people in Queue. Man, did I pick the wrong servers back in the day or what? lol
I stopped playing before Season 1 was over and the game is now in Season 3.
I had no idea I hadn't played in so fucking long. It just doesn't feel like the game is this old already. Wow.
I came back to play a few months ago and xfer'd to Valhalla. If you need a DPS for anything hit me up. Name is McFly

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Appreciate it. I've got a shitload to re-learn before I start doing shit, though.
My Storage Sheds are full of stuff and I don't know what's worthless now. lol

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Xerge

<Donor>
Amazing that they still have this bug coming and going. G/f had it for the longest time and was able to progress the Main Story just because I was in the party - which may still work if you want to try that. They really just need to put an NPC in that lets you buy the fucking tier of the staff already.

Why, whats up? I havent logged into the expansion yet. Im playing Phantom Liberty while I wait for it to die down some.

Best open world PVP since DAoC and PS1. I really think they managed to fix end games for both pve/pvp and its refreshing to see, especially for PVP. This patch finally gave the game legs to stand on and mounts just fit into the world really well. Hopefully next year sees bigger expansion in terms of landmass and scope and the systems are in place now. Cherry on top is cross server PUGs for dungeons next season.

The game is worth sale price+xpac price if youre new. The experience from 1-60 would be worth it

Last edited:

Cybsled

Yes and no. Healing and dps are musts. Tanks it is more flexible -if your dps are gods at avoiding getting hit, then going tankless can sometimes work. Otherwise you’ll still want a tank to pull aggro.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I didn't purchase yet. I want to play a tank, but if there is no holy trinity in this game...
Personally, its the most fun Ive had as a tank in any mmo thus far. The best thing is you can respec and change weapons, and also respec weapons on the fly, so you can play all 3 roles if you want. or if soloing you can just spec into deeps from tank, and vice verse. And im not sure how they game plays out right now but tanks were always in demand for PvE. And the PvP tanks did pretty well as well since you can body block in this game. And certain tanks would be hard to kill unless super focused by several peeps.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I didn't purchase yet. I want to play a tank, but if there is no holy trinity in this game...
I personally dont think he's talking about what the common person is doing. Especially since they've gotten rid of absorption/ward gear, messed with the aggro affixes or outright deleted them, changed armor type weight bonuses, stat bonuses, etc. with the expansion. The videos Ive seen of it were more along the lines of a mythic raid geared person doing a lower difficulty because they "could".. which means fuck all to me and the greater majority of players. Maybe Cyb had a different experience, or he's in the same guild with them - Idk.

Tanking can be fun, but it can be stressful. For $15 bucks, I dont think you should pass on the game. If you're the least bit interested, you'll end up having fun if you can let yourself "veg out." Its a completely different feel than say WoW or FFXIV or something.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

I mostly tank in the game for pve. When I was regularly slotted in wars I also mostly did point anchor which is mostly tanking/staying alive/crowd control

But ya, I was speaking more high end like the pve demons in my company lol

tanking in this game is fun - you need situational awareness to grab mobs that peel off, need to know when to dodge vs block, and need to manage some of your cooldowns that boost mitigation. The main tanking weapon was sword and shield, although flail also uses shield and has a tank tree. I usually use s&s and hammer or s&S and flail, but other combos work. For some bosses I’ll use a blunderbuss so I have a ranged option, in pvp void gauntlet works good as an off weapon for the cc/buffs

One thing to keep in mind: to taunt/pull good aggro, you need to slot a carnillian gem in your weapon. Some of the taunt abilities don’t work without that

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Trust me on this one: Tanks are abso-fucking-lutely in need. If you really enjoy it, then by all means
get into the game and start leveling up. Watch videos on Tank gear/strategies. There are lots of
wannabe Tanks who just piss people off. Being a good one will earn you a rep.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I have not played this game since after release like 3-4 months but tanks were always necessary. I mean IDK how the fuck you could do an instance without them? and if you did, like why the fuck? are they kiting or some shit?

Anyway, even in the outdoor dungeon areas a tank with some heals and of course other deeps could take down any mobs, even the super high level bosses when doing the loot box runs. Back in the day we killed everything since we and a few other stragglers were the only ones there at the time when everyone else was still just leveling or getting their gear level up. Later it became more trivial when a mob of 50+ was running through there, but even then you still needed a tank to take and keep aggro. Since most of those high level dudes would just one shot everyone on their aggro list.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Regarding tanks. They are needed. M1 maybe not so much if you have elite dps and a healer. But M2 and M3 you definitely need a solid tank.

But there are instances where the tank might feel completely useless. Example the final boss of Empyrean Forge, is just torture for a tank.

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Yea, but the problem isn't the Tank in spots where the Tank isn't needed.
They purposely setup some interactions where everyone on the team is
just expected to know the mechanics and dodge shit because mobs are
programmed to ignore taunts and shit. Target: Healer, or Furthest Away, etc.

The problem is players not taking responsibility and trying to shit-talk the Tank.
My response was always, "Fuck off and learn to Dodge." hehe

In other news, I've been offline for a while now because.. no shit... a hot air
balloon fucking crashed into one of our powerlines. You don't see that shit everyday.
My internet is just now coming back up.

• 1WTF

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Another sign that tanks feel like shit right now. No body seems to want to do it.

Both runs of Starstone Barrow this morning had both tanks complaining about hold threat and general aggro mechanics.

I feel bad, but also don't.
1696954818036.png

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Tanking for pugs is generally not fun in any game, but being a guild tank is nice.

The artifact tower shield looks fun to tank with, maybe with the artifact flail.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If they did a better job of telling the player what abilities they are unable to block, that would go a long ways towards keeping aspiring tanks from being knocked around all the time like a rag doll, dial down the stress a healer has to deal with, and keep DPS from pulling aggro too easily. Regardless, it'll never be as face roll as it is for a DPS.

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
I absolutely hate PUGs, for all the same reasons to hate the Internet:
give people anonymity and they think it gives them the Right to treat
people like shit. Tanking or Healing for a bunch of entitled, hateful
pricks is the definition of Suck. I'm having a blast running around solo
right now, but it also means I'm not doing dungeons/expeditions.

• 1Like