New York City

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
Ohhhhhh, October. I'd say Ranger game at MSG, but they aren't home until late October. Can't really think of anything good sports-wise within the city limits during that time period.

Rune_sl

shitlord
The only thing I enjoyed about my time in New York was the totally unknown medieval museum that is somehow a part of the Met. I think it's called The Cloisters.

It's part of the other museum, I think it's the met, so if you go to one you've purchased admission to both. It's a short subway ride and a fifteen minute walk to the far northwestern corner of Manhattan. I went there early on a winter morning and it was really sublime. The story is that one of the golden age barons of industry just went to Europe and bought a bunch of shit, including literal castles, monasteries and churches, shipped and assembled all that shit into a consolidated final product in NYC for kicks.

That's some serious fuck you money.

Anyways, I think I liked it mostly because nobody goes there. Upstate NY has some really nice parks and stuff, there's a road that goes through the Adirondacks that has some of the most ethereal frozen valleys I've ever seen in my life, but it takes quite a bit of driving to get there. I've never been so pissed off at the world as I was trying to get anything done in Manhattan, restaurants with no bathrooms or seating can go fuck themselves. I've traveled all over the world, and NYC has the worst fucking transportation system in the entire world, if it hadn't been for that embark NYC app I would have given up and hitchhiked back to Connecticut. The funny part is that you're even more fucked if you try to rent or bring a car. Getting anywhere in NYC takes 4-5X the time you think it would based off of raw distance, in my experience.

Bitches fucking love it, so I'll probably end up having to go back at some point. Just know now that it'll cost a lot more than you think it will in terms of time and cash, and you'll probably not get a lot for your money. There's a reason everybody goes to Jersey for the shopping. And don't even get me started on Jersey.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
The only thing I enjoyed about my time in New York was the totally unknown medieval museum that is somehow a part of the Met. I think it's called The Cloisters.

It's part of the other museum, I think it's the met, so if you go to one you've purchased admission to both. It's a short subway ride and a fifteen minute walk to the far northwestern corner of Manhattan. I went there early on a winter morning and it was really sublime. The story is that one of the golden age barons of industry just went to Europe and bought a bunch of shit, including literal castles, monasteries and churches, shipped and assembled all that shit into a consolidated final product in NYC for kicks.

That's some serious fuck you money.

Anyways, I think I liked it mostly because nobody goes there. Upstate NY has some really nice parks and stuff, there's a road that goes through the Adirondacks that has some of the most ethereal frozen valleys I've ever seen in my life, but it takes quite a bit of driving to get there. I've never been so pissed off at the world as I was trying to get anything done in Manhattan, restaurants with no bathrooms or seating can go fuck themselves. I've traveled all over the world, and NYC has the worst fucking transportation system in the entire world, if it hadn't been for that embark NYC app I would have given up and hitchhiked back to Connecticut. The funny part is that you're even more fucked if you try to rent or bring a car. Getting anywhere in NYC takes 4-5X the time you think it would based off of raw distance, in my experience.

Bitches fucking love it, so I'll probably end up having to go back at some point. Just know now that it'll cost a lot more than you think it will in terms of time and cash, and you'll probably not get a lot for your money. There's a reason everybody goes to Jersey for the shopping. And don't even get me started on Jersey.
learn to subway next time?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah, man. NYC's public transportation is awesome. Are there teleporters where you live or something?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
NYC is incredibly easy to navigate. You live in CT and hate NYC. The only people I've met that hate NYC are from CT. It's like they fall into this "I am only allowed to like Boston or NY... I can't like both!!!" mentality. NYC is one of the greatest places on earth

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, man. NYC's public transportation is awesome. Are there teleporters where you live or something?
Yeah. They're called cars. Therefore any city where cars are inconvenient is also inconvenient.

Rune_sl

shitlord
I wasn't living in CT.

Public transportation was easy, but it's a slow, painful and expensive nightmare. If you feel otherwise you really need to travel more. Nothing like walking into a subway station that's now reversed the line / closed with no notice / changed lines just because it's the weekend / third thursday of the month / past 9PM.

Out of a given list of major world cities with subways, NYC would be dead last in my book. Shit, even Mexico City's Total Recall contraption comes out ahead of NYC in every conceivable category, including cleanliness.

Cybsled

Slow public transport in NYC? Wait...what?

Buy a fucking subway App for your phone. I mean hell, there is almost literally no where that isn't serviced by the subways during the day. You only run into problems when they close certain stops earlier than others and you have to hike to another stop.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yeah. They're called cars. Therefore any city where cars are inconvenient is also inconvenient.
Cars are way more inconvenient in a city like Boston, where roads are still set up like the early trade routes they were originally intended as, over a grid... like NYC. Seriously, cars are not very inconvenient in NYC. I drive into the Upper East Side at least once a month from CT. Midtown can get a little congested and stay away from any of the tunnels during rush hour but the same can be said for pretty much any city. Maybe I just have rose colored glasses because I love NYC but I feel it's very easy to navigate and the Subway system is easy to understand for me.

Anyway, back on topic. Adebisi, if you want to impress the wife, find an old speakeasy that is still in operation like "Please Don't Tell" in the East Village. It's kind of fun walking through an old hot dog place and finding a bar hidden behind a phone booth in the back. I think you need a reservation though.

matsb84

I wasn't living in CT.

Public transportation was easy, but it's a slow, painful and expensive nightmare. If you feel otherwise you really need to travel more. Nothing like walking into a subway station that's now reversed the line / closed with no notice / changed lines just because it's the weekend / third thursday of the month / past 9PM.

Out of a given list of major world cities with subways, NYC would be dead last in my book. Shit, even Mexico City's Total Recall contraption comes out ahead of NYC in every conceivable category, including cleanliness.
Trains come every 5-10minutes (unless you're on the G, then it comes whenever it wants), which is fine and not slow. Unless there was an unplanned outage(some asshole offing himself for instance or a stalled train), every single line that has planned maintenance being done will have many notices posted throughout the stations, in multiple languages. I've never not seen this in my 7 years here. There's also giant fucking maps all over each station, so if you had trouble finding a new line, you're dumb. Of all of the mass transit systems in the US, NYC has to be in the top 3. 24x7 subways/buses as well as cabs? Not many cities in the world have that. Also, NYC is fairly cheap when compared to other metro/subway lines. Will agree it's not clean. They try at more touristy stations, but its hopeless.

I'd say overall, it sounds like you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Adeblisi - Big Gay ice cream was lame. Nothing special about it. Add Sushi Samba, Smac, Del Frisco's to your list though. Really good.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Museum price guide
http://gonyc.about.com/od/museums/ss...-Museums_2.htm

you don't "have" to pay the admission, museums are free, most of the time that is the "suggested" donation, rather than admission. Yes if you want to participate in like IMAX stuff, fork over a full priced ticket, i tell this to friends who visit nyc and they get a kick out of going museum hopping.

Yea to the guy that said, nyc transportation slow? wtf... It's probably the best in the country.

Tips:
Download tripadvisor, i think all tripadvisor stuff is free and offline, meaning it'll download the guides to your phone, if you're in ny, you'll be underground a few times, also you'll have a drop here and there, get as many offline apps as you can just in case. (ex... i can't get gps from iphone or droid near the holland cuz of buildings)

broadway show, book of mormon still has tickets for october, check them out.

nothing about coney island?
coney island is still open, is it safe? the broadwalk is safe... take almost any letter train FDQN, to the end of the stop towards brooklyn and you're in coney island, DO NOT go onto the streets, just stay on the broadwalk, walk along the broadwalk, go in for some rides, get a nathans, and get back on the train, coney island will still be open. again DO NOT get on the streets, if you don't know how to handle yourself, you're a target.

for travel times, the rule of thumb is that on the train, from one end of bklyn to the other end takes half an hour, the same goes for manhattan.

are you using a car?
don't drive into the city, unless you have city driving skills, and never drive into chinatown.

speaking of chinatown, go visit, are you a white guy? don't browse, if you do, ask how much, cut it by 50% and work your way up. Just get used to this, if they don't budge, move on and keep repeating
1. browse
2. chinese woman approaches
3. you say how much
4. she says ###
5. you say ###/.5
6. do NOT let her sell you, set the price first, then gab all you want, otherwise she'll use her super tourist charms and rope you in.
(i'm chinese, it's ok i know how they work)

then visit little italy, little italy is almost gone!

if you can avoid times square/herald square, anything with a square in the name! Here's a hint, if you stop for more than 3seconds then you're a tourist, otherwise ppl have to walk "through" you. but if you must...
fao swartz is always fun to visit
so is the mm's store
macy's usually has really nice displays this time of year

if you want a hot dog on the street, only look for the vendors with the blue umbrella "sabretts"

Simas_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_43183.jpg
rrr_img_43184.jpg
rrr_img_43185.jpg

Just wanted to add to chorus of those saying to go to the Met. As others have mentioned, admission is pay-what-you-want. Wear comfortable shoes. The last time I went they had a new civil war exhibit with tons photographs from the civil war, among other things. I think it's still going on. It's tucked away in the Greek/Roman area, don't miss it. Any proper nerd should check out the arms and armor room.

If you're looking for cheap(er) drinks, get out of Manhattan. Check out Brooklyn.

ValkyrieIATD

Adding my personal rec for food:Keens Steakhouse.

Oysters Rockefeller to start, followed by Porterhouse for two, Creamed Spinach, Steamed Asparagus and a Baked Idaho Potato with fresh churned butter and sour cream. Down the hatch with a clean stout. Smoke a pipe afterwards.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i fit the wrong sterotype, had high english, low math, numbers r confusing...
5. you say ### * .5

even then, i easily learned to subway.

speaking of the subway, it's clean, cleaner than DC... hell DC has fabric seats, wth is that? you don't want comfort, you want stain resistance.

Oh and if you do ride the subways, don't fall asleep, that is don't fall asleep and put your head on anything, many others have done so, if you're tired, try to nap with your head floating in the air, but resist the urge to lean your head down, or you'll drool like a 2 yr old. (or go with a hoodie and wash it later)

that also means not holding onto the poles (but if you're in the position to hold on to poles, then you'll have to or you'll fall) just bring a bottle of purell.

Cybsled

Any proper nerd should check out the arms and armor room.
Ya, the weapons and armor are pretty sweet. I lol'd at Henry VIII's armor when he was in his more "rotund" years. The one thing that surprises me about the Met is how damned close they let people get to paintings that are virtually priceless. "Oh hey, a world famous Van Gogh! Let me peer at it from inches away!"

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Someone suggested coney island up top and as someone who lives in nyc i would like to say not to bother. There is way too much shit to do in manhattan that is in every way superior to coney island.

ValkyrieIATD

The one thing that surprises me about the Met is how damned close they let people get to paintings that are virtually priceless. "Oh hey, a world famous Van Gogh! Let me peer at it from inches away!"
Last time I was at the Met, I saw at least five different people straight-up touch some of the priceless classics. One Hispanic dude poked the fuck out of a Monet.

Cybsled

That's surprising, since they have museum employees in virtually every room watching stuff.