New York City

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
The Highline is nice to walk around. It's a park built on top of old elevated train tracks.The High Line | Friends of the High Line

If you guys will be there over the weekend Smorgasburg is cool if you're into food.Smorgasburg | A Brooklyn Flea Food Market
Near the southern tip of the highline is the chelsea markets..kind of reminds me of a more organized reading terminal (philly). It's cool to check out. Otherwise, walking the highline takes 15min. Of course, you can sit out in the sun, but there's not much else to it. There's a few places along the hudson down that way as well, like the frying pan. Bit of a yuppie deal, but they have good food/drinks. Bronx Zoo is cool to checkout, obviously gets crowded on the weekend. Can take the cable cars over to Roosevelt Island and walk around it, not much to see, but its a nice walk and not crowded, plus cable cars! South Street seaport is neat to walk around, Bodies exhibit is there (or was). Central Park of course, either sheep meadow or the great lawn are cool to checkout (the zoo in cp is small, but worth stopping off to see on the way to the met) or just lay around. Boat Basin is another yuppie type place farther up (70s i think) thats pretty cool for a drink and a hotdog, its along the hudson as well. And Jacob's Pickles is right near that and they have good food. Levains is also up there, good cookies.

What's wrong with the tourist traps?! It's fuckin' New York! The Statue especially is a piece of history and one of the most recognized symbols of this country around the world.

Times Square I get, but I definitely wasn't disappointed in going down to Battery Park and looking at the statue across the water. Even that is totally free, though, and takes very little time to just walk through. Also is a nice "hey, I was there once" thing every time you see the New Year's Eve countdowns and shit on TV.

As for museums, you basically can't go wrong with the Metropolitan Museum of Art in Central Park. They have entire wings of physical artifacts and stuff from Egypt, medieval Europe, etc. Not just endless paintings. If they still do it, the Museum of Modern Art has free Friday nights. Huge crowds, but free is free, I suppose. I've heard the Guggenheim sucks and is literally a bunch of stupid shit like crushed aspirin under a black light bulb. Go see real art at the Met if you want to do a museum.

Cybsled

For Museums, Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Natural History Museum are musts. They are both top tier world class museums with amazing collections. I mean hell, the Met has like a room half full of Van Goghs pretty much and the ancient artifact sections are awesome. They even have Henry the VIII's fat armor ;p And Natural History museum has amazing items, including an insane dinosaur and other prehistoric creature collection. Wanna know what hadrosaur skin looked like? You can see it there.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
nyc tourist traps are stupid, i remember taking a cousin to the statue and pretty sure it took 6hours to go up the crown. i mean you can still take the ferry to ellis island and take pictures, it's like 20bucks a ticket.

same thing for the empire state building, it's dumb, you pay like 30bucks to goto the observation on an elevator, and 20bucks more if you wanna goto the highest point on a different elevator.

times square also has the worst food

this is a link about which museums are free, which have "suggested admission" and which ones you have to pay no matter what.

Free and Discounted Admission at New York City Museums

don't walk the brooklyn bridge, i mean i guess you could, but if you start off in brooklyn, thats in metrotech and a really shitty place (went to college there) (i guess you can goto juniors for the cheesecake, but they have other locations in the city) and end up in city hall, nothing really touristy it's 10mins to the south street seaport, and then 10mins the other way to chinatown (used to work here, took nice lunches) (go from brooklyn to manhattan if you must walk it, b/c the brooklyn side is shit, lived here for 20 years, theres really only coney island and i guess williamsburg, which is being taken over by hipsters).
(when i say shit, i meant for tourists it's shit)

rasstapp_sl

shitlord
Went to the Empire state building earlier this week, we went around 8 in the evening, so no queues. When we got up to the first oberservationdeck the weather shifted and it got extremely windy and thunderstorms. After waiting around for a while we took the elevator up to the top deck, and fuck yeah, clear skies, sun setting. And we were basically alone, pure awesome, worth every penny.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
How is the Comedy Cellar's village location compared to the original?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Never went to the original but the Village location is pretty awesome. Artichoke Pizza nearby and some pretty sweet bars. Almost all with live music and stuff.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Bah, client can only meet for two days. I'll be flying in, stay a night, fly home.

I WILL get Burger Joint in me again.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Go to "The Counter" in Times Square. That shit was incredible.

Keep in mind that Times Square itself is horrible, but this was hands down the best burger I've ever had, which makes it worth going to again.

Vinen

God is dead
Go to "The Counter" in Times Square. That shit was incredible.

Keep in mind that Times Square itself is horrible, but this was hands down the best burger I've ever had, which makes it worth going to again.
Sure you could find a better Burger at a non-chain restaurant.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
There are only so many ways to cook a burger on a grill, 5 guys is pretty much the best combination of quality hamburger meat / lowish fast food price. I kind of in the mood for some broiled burgers though

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
There's a five guys near me. I'm not a fan at all of how their burgers. Mostly because they are so damn greasy. Even if you go no cheese or anything, the roll is soaking wet. It's nasty. I'll go to them if I'm in a greasy kind of mood, but I don't search them out otherwise. In fact, it's probably been a year since my last visit.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If you feel like ballin' out you could go to Delmonicos in the financial district for an amazing steak.