NFL 2014 Off-Season Thread

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Alex Smith will haunt your fucking dreams, 49er fans!

Or read your kids a bedtime story.

Disp_sl

shitlord
I'm pretty sure if they let Kaeperbro walk and picked someone else up who could be a game manager at worst, there'd be no real loss in how that team performs with its current roster.
How'd that work out for the Bucs and Ravens after they won their super bowls? Signing a Rex Grossman type player for $4-$10mil./yr just so you can afford Crabtree and maybe one other player doesn't seem like a great idea.

And Alex Smith is gonna get signed for $15mil./yr+. It's just what the going rate is for above average quarterbacks.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Smith was due 13 million the year after he got traded. If the 49ers had gotten to the NFC championship with him last year he would be getting another deal as well.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Damn, what an awesome contract. So he has a relatively low base salary laced with lots of incentives, that is only technically guaranteed on a year to year basis.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How'd that work out for the Bucs and Ravens after they won their super bowls?
The Ravens fielded the worst offensive line in the league last year and still won eight games. The problem was NOT losing Boldin, which is generally the only thing you herpa derpas know to point to in how Flacco's contract "hurt" the team. Flacco wasn't even the highest paid player on the team last year and he certainly won't play under his current cap numbers, here or anywhere, in the last three years of the deal.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The contract also includes, starting in 2015, a whopping $2 million per year in per-game roster bonuses, an amount that one source characterized as "massive" in comparison to similar deals. It means that, for every game Kaepernick misses due to injury after the 2014 season, he loses $125,000.

The contract also requires Kaepernick to purchase, with after-tax dollars, a disability policy that pays the 49ers $20 million if he suffers a career-ending injury.
But he's no more likely to get hurt than any other QB, right homers? The Niner's are just super cautious.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Ravens fielded the worst offensive line in the league last year and still won eight games. The problem was NOT losing Boldin, which is generally the only thing you herpa derpas know to point to in how Flacco's contract "hurt" the team. Flacco wasn't even the highest paid player on the team last year and he certainly won't play under his current cap numbers, here or anywhere, in the last three years of the deal.
Don't pay as much attention to the afc, but I find it hard to believe the raven's offensive line last year could have been worse than atlanta's. They had zero or one same starter around mid-season.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why the fuck would he sign that deal? I'm not a big fan but he could have done a lot better than "Hey Niners you can totally cut me whenever and not owe me a dime!"

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I guess his agent disagrees? Maybe the market's ice cold for his services? He's banking a lot on continued performance and/or a superbowl berth.

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
I really like the deal for both sides, good balance in terms of money. The 49ers get their guy locked up long term and he can potentially be even as high as a top 5 QB over the next 6 years (with Brady and Manning and Brees retiring soon he'll move up!), but if he pulls a Josh Freeman and regresses inexplicably the 49ers still can bail out. From Kaepernick's side, he is signed on long term with a team that has a strong fan base, great coaching staff, great front office. They've done a good job of pooling draft picks and acquiring talent and youth every year and there is good reason to think they will continue to be one of the more successful teams going forward.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
So you're saying it probably wouldn't be a good idea for Kaep to go to some fake hippy college and study holistic Indian medicine while staying high on pot 24-7 during his prime playing years?

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
So you're saying it probably wouldn't be a good idea for Kaep to go to some fake hippy college and study holistic Indian medicine while staying high on pot 24-7 during his prime playing years?
As I recall Ricky started getting hurt as soon as he signed that incentive laden deal long before he got all stupid about pot

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea Ricky played through that rookie deal, he was injured a lot his first few years and couldn't hit the incentives.

It is pretty strange that the most effective way for Kaep to realize all that money is to sustain a career ending injury.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Kaeper even gave a nod to Alex Smith in the press conference. What a truly righteous bro.

In other news, Vernon Davis appears to be reverting back to his former diva self, before Singletary talked some sense into him. He's already the 3rd highest paid TE in the league, which is exactly about where he should be.

Davis | CSN Bay Area

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wow, I take back everything I said about that contract. That's extremely good for the Niners. I think if I were Kaep, I would have at least tried to push forward that April 1st date. Make it like late February at the latest to try and force the guaranteed money forward or make the team decide his fate early each offseason.

That said, Kaep at least gets a shit ton of guaranteed money each year. So as long as he can stick around for a few years, he'll make a good $30M+ in just salary. Plus endorsements. Can't feel bad for a dude playing a game for a living and making tens of millions of dollars.

That chart seems retarded. Or at least the run blocking section. I only looked at how the Redskins compared, but they're a top 10 team in everything except the "stuffed" category (28th in that). The problem is, the difference between a top 10 team in stuffed and bottom 10 is like 5%. It's not a huge difference in the end (the top 5 and bottom 5 have a wider range). But that one category dumps the ranking of them to bottom middle of the pack, when they should be around 5 or 6 overall (ranked 4th, 5th, and 7th in the other categories, 23rd overall). That makes no sense. Especially since the ranges on those other categories seem much wider, and therefore a higher performing team stands out better in those categories.

I also don't see how you can assign a 0% responsibility to the line for runs of 11+ yards. What the fuck kind of shit logic is that? Do lines do no blocking on 11+ yard runs now?