NFL 2014 Off-Season Thread

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
49ers: No major needs really, but we'll get better anyways and go back-to-back in the next two Superbowls.
Eh, we need secondary help, since we'll be ditching Rodgers, Wright, and possibly Brown(I really hope we can resign Brown, but I don't think it's likely). Culliver and Brock(despite him stepping up pretty big this season)don't inspire me with a lot of confidence. We'll also need somebody to replace Whitner, since he doesn't bring enough(lots of personal fouls, blown coverages, etc.) to command his likely price tag. I also wouldn't mind seeing us shore up some depth on OL.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Eh, we need secondary help, since we'll be ditching Rodgers, Wright, and possibly Brown(I really hope we can resign Brown, but I don't think it's likely). Culliver and Brock(despite him stepping up pretty big this season)don't inspire me with a lot of confidence. We'll also need somebody to replace Whitner, since he doesn't bring enough(lots of personal fouls, blown coverages, etc.) to command his likely price tag. I also wouldn't mind seeing us shore up some depth on OL.
Not to mention we could use some help at WR. Even if they resign Boldin, he only has a couple solid years left in him. Would love for them to be able to move up on the draft and grab one of the big names if they are still around.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Steelers don't need to make any changes. Best team in the league in the second half. Lost 2 games by 8 total points, 1 because of a shitty call(Bell's helmet on the TD vs. Ravens) one by 1 inch of foot going out of bounds(Miami). They definitely would have blown out the Seahawks in the Super Bowl.

Shut up!

Seriously though, they need a lot. On defense especially. A few CB's(Cortez Allen looks decent, but not sure how he'll do as #1 CB). A few safeties. OLB(s). Probably a NT.

And just like everyone else they could really use a real big WR threat. Other than that the biggest issue on offense is keeping the line healthy. As always.

49ers prefer Whitner over Brown

ProSportsDaily

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
SEC: first on the field, first somethingsomething anal sex.

Anyway, kudos to that guy. Very brave. I have to admit the funniest thing so far was the aggie who said "Should have been an Aggie, I knew it" on SECRant.
NFL can preach all they want about being open to all players...But the PLAYERS aren't going to want this guy. Is there a more "manly" place in sports than an NFL locker room? A more unforgiving place in sports for a gay man than an NFL locker room?

Now I may be thinking 20 years ago, when men were men, and we all walked up hill both ways to school...but are the players ready to have a gay dude in the locker room? I'm going to say no.

All that being said, my 12 y.o son is wondering why this would be such a big deal. Clearly the next generation doesn't give a fuck. I'm just not sure where THIS one stands.

Plus, will teams want to deal with that headache? Media, having to watch who your tongue on everything, or be called out for being a homophobic, or whatever. Guess we will have to wait and see.

As for prospects...WTF would ANYONE take a chance at Manziel in the 1st round is beyond me. Never mind the THE 1st pick. Pick Bridgewater. You now have Donovan Mcnabb at your QB spot for 10 years. Minus the throwing up part. I'm listening to draft reports, and some draft pro's are saying the Texans rally are considering this dude.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
As for prospects...WTF would ANYONE take a chance at Manziel in the 1st round is beyond me.
I'm with you, man. I have zero faith in this kid as a first round pick. If he goes 3-6th round it might humble him enough to be a decent QB.

But he'll go first round, you can bet on it.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
NFL can preach all they want about being open to all players...But the PLAYERS aren't going to want this guy. Is there a more "manly" place in sports than an NFL locker room? A more unforgiving place in sports for a gay man than an NFL locker room?

Now I may be thinking 20 years ago, when men were men, and we all walked up hill both ways to school...but are the players ready to have a gay dude in the locker room? I'm going to say no.
What are you talking about? Packers already have Rodgers, and he's way more high profile.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
49ers prefer Whitner over Brown

ProSportsDaily
Whitner is very average in coverage and he always costs us yardage trying to live up to his "Hitner"(retarded) moniker. They would be stupid to resign both, especially with Boldin and Kaepernick unsigned(I realize that Kaepernick is technically signed, but I think his stock took a bit of a dive after the NFC Championship, and we should lock him up now, rather than gambling).

Not to mention we could use some help at WR. Even if they resign Boldin, he only has a couple solid years left in him. Would love for them to be able to move up on the draft and grab one of the big names if they are still around.
We can wait on WR help, assuming we resign Boldin. Crabtree, Boldin, and Davis are a pretty solid trio. Patton still has some potential as a 3rd, so I'd like to see him with another year of development/training camp. I wouldn't mind us grabbing somebody in the draft, just as a "wait and see" policy, but I don't think we necessarily need to move up.

marrior_sl

shitlord
Gore is due to fall off the cliff at any moment as well. Hopefully Lattimore is good to go soon for you guys.

NFC going to win the next 2-3 Super Bowls until the AFC can nut some teams up physically to play that playoff style

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gore is due to fall off the cliff at any moment as well.
If they can maintain the kind of line play we've seen from them there will be backs to replace his production. He's a good one but behind that line there's plenty of players who will be able to run.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
NFC going to win the next 2-3 Super Bowls until the AFC can nut some teams up physically to play that playoff style
Maybe, but people tend to overreact to blowouts. Seattle matches up really well with the elite pass heavy AFC teams, but I could see them being eliminated by a fellow NFC West team or a team like Carolina who has a great D and mobile qb.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Gore is due to fall off the cliff at any moment as well. Hopefully Lattimore is good to go soon for you guys.

Lattimore was the steal of last years draft, I'm expecting big things from him. Niners actually have a couple of guys stashed from last years draft that should be able to make big impacts next year.

And I think teams from the NFCWESTare going to win 2 of the next 3 Super Bowls. Niners and Hawks just look like they are on another level than the rest of the league right now. Plus they are both young teams and they have been stocking up on future draft picks for years now. Arizona looks like they can almost play with them and possibly nab a playoff spot with a few breaks and a softer schedule. Rams have so many draft picks they can't help but to be somewhat competitive.

AFC West is going to be in for a huge falloff this year. The playoff teams went 11-1 against the NFC Least last year which played a big part in them putting 3 teams into the playoffs. I'll be surprised if they muster more than 4-5 wins combined against the NFC West this year.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Steelers don't need to make any changes. Best team in the league in the second half. Lost 2 games by 8 total points, 1 because of a shitty call(Bell's helmet on the TD vs. Ravens) one by 1 inch of foot going out of bounds(Miami). They definitely would have blown out the Seahawks in the Super Bowl.

Shut up!

Seriously though, they need a lot. On defense especially. A few CB's(Cortez Allen looks decent, but not sure how he'll do as #1 CB). A few safeties. OLB(s). Probably a NT.

And just like everyone else they could really use a real big WR threat. Other than that the biggest issue on offense is keeping the line healthy. As always.
Bitch please, Cowboys lost 5 games by a combined 8 points so by your metric the Cowboys are better :p

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Unfortunately all the physical defensive teams in the AFC are incomplete (Browns, Texans, Bills) or have a questionable QB (Bengals). If the Texans, Browns or Bengals can put together capable and consistent offenses, they'll be able to compete with anyone. Their defenses are stout.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
You'd think so, but you'd probably be wrong.

Not as long as we stick with Sam Bradford. I'm kinda hoping we just take Clowney and kill all opposing QBs. Easier to beat back ups right?

p.s. Zac Stacy was the steal of last years draft.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Not as long as we stick with Sam Bradford. I'm kinda hoping we just take Clowney and kill all opposing QBs. Easier to beat back ups right?

p.s. Zac Stacy was the steal of last years draft.
If the Niners, Seahawks, and Cardinals can do so well with mediocre/slightly above average QBs, so can the Rams. There's no way that Bradford is any worse than Carson fucking Palmer.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Cowboys just need 12 or so D linemen and an NFL practice squad level safety and they'll make it over that 8-8 hump to a solid 9-7. Maybe even 10-6 if they get a lucky bounce or two