NFL 2015-2016 Season Thread

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm rooting for Carolina and pulling for old false start Michael Oher, but I bet the Broncos bring it hard against his side. Maybe he'll rise to the occasion though.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I still think Carolina is going to Seahawk the Bronco's but I've been wrong all year. Chargers winning the division... Hah!

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
What is your definition of Elite?NFL Stats: Team

BTW.. Good guy Brady
Instagram
For offense, Carolina runs the ball very well and scores a lot of points. But are 24th in passing and 11th in total yardage, there are much better offenses in the league. The defense isn't in the top 5 in any category other than turnover margin and rushing yards allowed, they allow 322 yards a game despite being on the field the second least amount of time.

In comparison Denver's defense, is 1st in yards allowed, 1st in passing yards per game, 3rd in rushing yards allowed per game, and 4th in points allowed per game. Despite being on the field much longer then Carolina's defense is.

Carolina is the much more well rounded team being good on both sides of the ball, but they aren't elite at either. Take one side of the ball away, and Carolina is a .500 club. The offense and defense are not good enough to win games on their own. Denver's defense has proven to be good enough to win despite having a below average offense all year. To me that is the main difference between being good or being elite on one side of the ball.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Glad I read the rest of the thread before replying to Lleauaric. Fennin said what I was going to.

I still think Carolina is going to Seahawk the Bronco's but I've been wrong all year. Chargers winning the division... Hah!
And I expect nothing much more from a Division rival. It's how it should be
biggrin.png

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I get what you're saying by the numbers that this is an elite D, but I'm not so sure its an elite secondary. Lleauaric has a point, unlike NE they can't just ignore the run to bring pressure, Carolina may look just above average overall but they are also balanced on offense. Taking away Brady's game plan was one thing but there's numerous threats to deal with playing the Panthers.

I think it comes down to if Manning can avoid turnovers and get his receivers to stop dropping balls. Even if the Denver defense performs the offense will still need to manage some points, if Peyton starts forcing his weak old man arm throws and Carolina gets turnovers it will probably be disastrous.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I think you can look at a stat sheet all day but anyone that watches football knows why Carolina is the bettor's choice. Or you can see their defense is a top 6 points per game and yards per game team which is pretty damn good. If you want to open it up a bit more, Denver only held teams to 14 less points all year than Carolina. Or you can ask yourself a question. Whcih team would I want? The one that scores 31 points a game while holding teams to 19? Or the team that scores 22 a game while holding teams to 18.5? I'd personally take the one that has an almost two TD lead per game(in the regular season) to the one that barely eeks out victories.

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
Nobody is saying that Carolina isn't obviously the better team, what I was saying is if it comes down to a close fought slow paced game, Denver probably wins the game. If Denver loses the turn over battle it'll be a double digit loss for them. Denver had the harder schedule, played more close games, and has the better defense. Also helps the number one defense is 9-2 in the Superbowl all time. So I'm taking that in a close game over any stat.

The main glaring flaw I've seen from Carolina this year is their inability to make adjustments, they were dominated by the Giants in the fourth quarter, they were dominated by Seattle in the second half, and they got shut down by a below average Falcons team for 4 quarters without making adjustments the entire game. Carolina has shown you can completely shut down their offense if you frustrate them. Denver is built like an old school team, it doesn't do anything fancy but it will bog you down into its pace, and most of the time when that happens they win. If Carolina gets off to a hot start, the game is pretty much over.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
So let me get this straight. When Brady says something and takes it back we are supposed to believe him but when a reporter makes something up and then takes it back we aren't supposed to believe him?

Just trying to get the double standard straight about which liars we are supposed to believe.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For offense, Carolina runs the ball very well and scores a lot of points. But are 24th in passing and 11th in total yardage, there are much better offenses in the league. The defense isn't in the top 5 in any category other than turnover margin and rushing yards allowed, they allow 322 yards a game despite being on the field the second least amount of time.

In comparison Denver's defense, is 1st in yards allowed, 1st in passing yards per game, 3rd in rushing yards allowed per game, and 4th in points allowed per game. Despite being on the field much longer then Carolina's defense is.

Carolina is the much more well rounded team being good on both sides of the ball, but they aren't elite at either. Take one side of the ball away, and Carolina is a .500 club. The offense and defense are not good enough to win games on their own. Denver's defense has proven to be good enough to win despite having a below average offense all year. To me that is the main difference between being good or being elite on one side of the ball.
Who the hell uses yards as a metric?

NFL Stats: by Team Category

There are much better offenses? That's all you need to know.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The NFL since always?

The stats your looking at includes defensive scoring as well as KR/PR TDs
Yea if you take those things away (for everyone) theyre still the top scoring offense.

I havent seen people using yards as a metric for years unless they're new to watching football, scoring offense on offense and defense is what matters. It's an insanely misleading stat and teams that tend to go up quickly in points on other teams end up giving up more yards because of it. Shit ass teams like Tampa Bay are up there in the top 10 of ypg because of this, or teams who play zero defense and get the ball back in 3 minutes, like say New Orleans.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yea if you take those things away (for everyone) theyre still the top scoring offense.

I havent seen people using yards as a metric for years unless they're new to watching football, scoring offense on offense and defense is what matters. It's an insanely misleading stat and teams that tend to go up quickly in points on other teams end up giving up more yards because of it. Shit ass teams like Tampa Bay are up there in the top 10 of ypg because of this, or teams who play zero defense and get the ball back in 3 minutes, like say New Orleans.
And if you have a shitty defense that can't get turn overs then you're always facing long fields. So neither is perfect by themselves.

Obviously, for people that KNOW football ESPN's QBR is the gold standard everything stat for offense, defense, special teams, coaching, clock management, and general Tebowism.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Moving the Pro Bowl to before the Super Bowl is still one of the most bizarre decisions I've seen. The two Super Bowl teams will, more often than not, have a disproportionate amount of Pro Bowl players. Which means they all won't be in the Pro Bowl. Then the whole thing just gets muddied because suddenly the 8th best player at the position is suddenly in the Pro Bowl.

The players see this and wonder why they should even bother? It's not something to be proud of anymore (5 time Pro Bowl player!).

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Wow. Not only did you attribute a CJ Anderson quote to Tom Brady, but for your stats you went with a 2 game sample size where 1 of the games they were gifted 6 TOs from Palmer and a muffed punt return.

Honestly, that's still one of the better Pats fan posts.
I don't see how Lleauaric was attributing that quote to Brady. I think it was pretty clear he was saying Brady was a good guy because he gave CJ props and wished him luck after Denver beat them earlier this year or last.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Moving the Pro Bowl to before the Super Bowl is still one of the most bizarre decisions I've seen. The two Super Bowl teams will, more often than not, have a disproportionate amount of Pro Bowl players. Which means they all won't be in the Pro Bowl. Then the whole thing just gets muddied because suddenly the 8th best player at the position is suddenly in the Pro Bowl.

The players see this and wonder why they should even bother? It's not something to be proud of anymore (5 time Pro Bowl player!).
I'm with ya there. It was so much better when it was like a month after the superbowl. It helped to ease me into the off-season. It used to be almost as much a must watch as the SB itself, but now I have no interest in it.

I also think they need to give the players a reason to play in the game. I suggested exempting part of their salary the next year from the salary cap. That way they can either get paid more or the team can be made stronger.