NFL 2015-2016 Season Thread

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
This is a guy who fearlessly dives for touchdowns with no regard for the possibility of career ending injuries, but he jumps away from a fumble when a recovery could have kept his team in the Super Bowl.

I can't imagine what would be worth more to an NFL QB than a Super Bowl ring, which is why I admit the possibility of him throwing the game is an extremely remote one. But something smells.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
This is a guy who fearlessly dives for touchdowns with no regard for the possibility of career ending injuries, but he jumps away from a fumble when a recovery could have kept his team in the Super Bowl.

I can't imagine what would be worth more to an NFL QB than a Super Bowl ring, which is why I admit the possibility of him throwing the game is an extremely remote one. But something smells.
Being completely objective about it, it honestly looked like a guy who was making a "business" decision. He was likely gun-shy after getting trucked all night and the thought of going head first on a pile against Ware was a bridge too far for him at that point. You get your fucking noggin, shoulders, legs, etc. rattled all night by 260+ pound lineman and tell me you aren't a little bit skittsh as the game drags on.

There's still no excuse, especially in the goddamned Superb Owl, but I'm thinking that it was just a case of being tired of getting clocked. More "instinctual" than anything else, especially the way he sort of "recoils" when he sees Ware on the ground in front of him.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I dunno. Like Gavin said, had no problem diving around headfirst or launching over people to score a TD in the regular seasons but scared of falling on a fumble in the SB? I mean if you are going to get hurt that's when you get hurt, especially on that kind of play(end of game, down only 1 score etc),you have 6 months to next season.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I dunno. Like Gavin said, had no problem diving around headfirst or launching over people to score a TD in the regular seasons but scared of falling on a fumble in the SB? I mean if you are going to get hurt that's when you get hurt, especially on that kind of play(end of game, down only 1 score etc),you have 6 months to next season.
Except that's for 1-2 plays a game, in games where you usually aren't getting pummeled every goddamn down. Sacks, hit after throws, etc. Like I said, let me throw Von Miller and Ware at your goddamn face every down, then tell you to go dive on a fumble toward the end of the game, putting your body/head at risk against the very same dude who has been teabagging you all night. Like I said, it'll almost be a reflex at that point for your body to jump the fuck away.

But..nah, I'm sure he was paid off to throw the game..

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The spawn of Archie Manning have more superbowl wins than only a handful of teams now lol.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I don't really think he was throwing the game just because of how unlikely it is, but I sure wouldn't be the least surprised if it came out somewhere down the road that he was.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Okay, serious question: let's say that Newton did get on that fumble and secured it, but was injured in the process to the point where he would no longer be able to participate in that game. Who would they put in his place, and would they have had a better shot at breaching the Great Wall of Denver?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Except that's for 1-2 plays a game, in games where you usually aren't getting pummeled every goddamn down. Sacks, hit after throws, etc. Like I said, let me throw Von Miller and Ware at your goddamn face every down, then tell you to go dive on a fumble toward the end of the game, putting your body/head at risk against the very same dude who has been teabagging you all night. Like I said, it'll almost be a reflex at that point for your body to jump the fuck away.

But..nah, I'm sure he was paid off to throw the game..
Jump away from what? The one defender was on the ground reaching out with just an arm and the only other dude was a lineman getting pushed away from the ball by his Oline. He literally just had to fall on the ball, instead he jumps away when the defender reaches out with his arm? No excuse for that at all.

And I didn't say thing about some weird conspiracy.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Jump away from what? The one defender was on the ground reaching out with just an arm and the only other dude was a lineman getting pushed away from the ball by his Oline. He literally just had to fall on the ball, instead he jumps away when the defender reaches out with his arm? No excuse for that at all.
Look at it again. He didn't just have to "fall" on it. He would've needed to dive in order to beat the other falling/diving bodies to the ball. You act like it was literally right underneath him and he just needed to drop into a fetal position. He recognizes at the last second that if he does that, he's going to collide with Ware or his own O-Lineman. Which, after getting hit all night, his body reflexively decided against, and that's where you see his awkward "jump" away from the ball.

Maybe he's just a pussy? Maybe he has no heart, who knows? I tend to think that the simplest explanation is that after a night of getting facefucked by Denver, his body just said, "Oh, fuck no!" on instinct.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The ball was almost at his feet when he got to it and started going down then flinched back when whoever was on the ground reached a arm out. He wouldn't of had to dive, just fall forward on top of it.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Okay, serious question: let's say that Newton did get on that fumble and secured it, but was injured in the process to the point where he would no longer be able to participate in that game. Who would they put in his place, and would they have had a better shot at breaching the Great Wall of Denver?
Derek Anderson is the backup and has looked pretty good the brief times he's filled in.
I doubt anyone short of Cousins would have a chance against that D, though

Xevy

Log Wizard
Think Cam was going for it, saw he had little to no chance in a pile under all the Bronco's, then saw it got pushed out and started going for it again. Not a Superman move for sure, but understandable.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The ball was almost at his feet when he got to it and started going down then flinched back when whoever was on the ground reached a arm out. He wouldn't of had to dive, just fall forward on top of it.
Easier said than done from the comfort of your mom's basement. In reality, you have 260+ pound gorillas fucking flying all around you, some of which have been up your ass all goddamn night. Your body doesn't just go, "Oh! Look! A nerf turbo! Better scoop that up real quick!". Self preservation kind of takes over in situations that are a tad more realistic than your typical recess back in 3rd grade..

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Easier said than done from the comfort of your mom's basement. In reality, you have 260+ pound gorillas fucking flying all around you, some of which have been up your ass all goddamn night. Your body doesn't just go, "Oh! Look! A nerf turbo! Better scoop that up real quick!". Self preservation kind of takes over in situations that are a tad more realistic than your typical recess back in 3rd grade..
And your playing football for millions a year, why?

Self preservation? But he had no problem diving or leaping over players for touchdowns in the regular season?

Could it be he was rattled from the game? Of course, but welcome to football, he choked right there, no excuses for it.

Btw should find something more original then the "mom's basement" cliche.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think Cam was hurt in the second half. Not "injured", but he was hurting enough that it was hampering him. He did get sacked 7? times.

I loved the game. I love pass rush and sacks. Sacks are probably my favorite play which is why I have complained so much about how they never call intentional grounding anymore. Miller and Ware have been thrilling to watch all season ever since they buttfucked my 49ers O-line in the preseason. Also happy for Peyton. Perfect ending to a great career. I think the Panthers will be back but then I thought the 49ers would when we lost three years ago and we know how that turned out.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Cam apparently took 13 hits tonight, and they weren't exactly light. You could definitely tell he was hurting through a lot of that game. Could he have gotten that ball back? Probably, but I definitely think it would have cost him.

Andrew Siciliano on Twitter:

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Grats dioblaire! Food and beer at the SB party was better than this game, what an ugly one this was.

Denvers D is legit though, I remember when we had nasty rushing book ends at LB.....we won a SB then too...le sigh. Tonights boring game led our SB party to a heated discussion about best D ever, seems like most said 85 Bears or 76 Steelers. Ravens and Pats fans there got all pissy over this which made me happy.

Broncos players/Elway already saying they should be in the discussion. Sorry, you were good, but you werent that good.

John Elway: - NFL.com

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
How much fucking salt does there have to be, that some of you are legitimately questioning if Carolina "threw the game". Get the fuck out of here. Cam didn't dive into the pile, because someone was already down there and he didn't wanna fight for it/hoped it would pop back out and he would have a cleaner look at it.

Carolina was dominated. They run a simplistic offense and Denver's incredible defense took advantage of it. The NFC was notably down this year, and the Panthers, as good as they were, really benefited from some teams definitely on the slide.

A lot of people salty that Cam got exposed as overrated
Fucking preach, apparently Cam was the face of the NFL after one good season. That was news to me.