NFL 2015-2016 Season Thread

moontayle

Golden Squire
He was like 2-3 yards off of the blocker. He also did two things, hand to the face and helmet to helmet. It should have been called and was a huge swing in the game. The momentum gained by that play was huge.
Not sure if troll.

Illegal hands to the face typically only gets called when a player gets a hand up into the helmet and is pushing the helmet or head up. Similarly, facemask gets called if there's clear and obvious grabbing of the facemask and moving of the helmet via that action. Good refs will not call incidental contact of the facemask because that happens a lot and it can be difficult to catch at full speed.

Helmet to helmet is a stretch. It's clearly incidental since Miller is poised to wrap his arms around Cam and he's not leading with his helmet which is where defenders usually get into trouble and the purpose of the rule in the first place.

Sure, the play definitely took the wind out of the Carolina sails but it's a pretty big stretch to say Miller got away with something there.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure if troll.

Illegal hands to the face typically only gets called when a player gets a hand up into the helmet and is pushing the helmet or head up. Similarly, facemask gets called if there's clear and obvious grabbing of the facemask and moving of the helmet via that action. Good refs will not call incidental contact of the facemask because that happens a lot and it can be difficult to catch at full speed.

Helmet to helmet is a stretch. It's clearly incidental since Miller is poised to wrap his arms around Cam and he's not leading with his helmet which is where defenders usually get into trouble and the purpose of the rule in the first place.

Sure, the play definitely took the wind out of the Carolina sails but it's a pretty big stretch to say Miller got away with something there.
Not sure if troll, but no one can touch or graze the QB's helmet. We're not talking about offensive linemen here, we're talking about a QB. They call that shit all the time, D lineman goes to swat ball and grazes QB's helmet, automatic 15.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I agree. Only a butthurt Panther fan would think that was an illegal hit.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Not sure if troll, but no one can touch or graze the QB's helmet. We're not talking about offensive linemen here, we're talking about a QB. They call that shit all the time, D lineman goes to swat ball and grazes QB's helmet, automatic 15.
It happens a lot, I agree, but it just as often doesn't happen. I recall that Green Bay/Arizona playoff game back in 2009/10 where Arizona stripped Rodgers in OT and ran it back for a touchdown. The replay clearly showed a facemask, the helmet even turned a little, but no call.

I'd like to think that good Refs won't arbitrarily call incidental helmet brushes. Now if Miller hadwappedhim in the face or top of helmet? That probably would have been called.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Moon, Uber is talking about roughing the passer. The way it's written now even minor contact with your arm/hand to the face and it's flagged. Way too often for my tastes for contact that is clearly incidental and not "roughing" in any way, shape, or form...but it does get called. I don't think it should when it's of that nature, and certainly not in the Super Bowl.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
'The National Football League regular season begins the weekend after Labor Day in early September and ends in December or early January. It consists of 256 games, where each team plays 16 games during a 17-week period."

Here's a list of the offensive ranks the Ravens played against in 2000
8th
8th
13th
13th
16th
17th
17th
17th
23rd
24th
26th
29th
30th
30th
31st (last)
31st (last)

Now genius, compare it to what the Eagles faced in 1991

1st
1st
3rd
4th
7th
7th
8th
16th
17th
19th
19th
22nd
23rd
26th
27th
27th
2 top 10 offenses vs 7........including the number 1 team twice that year. CLEARLY SIMILAR.
How did you get those offensive rankings? Is that where the offenses wound up at the end of the year? Doesn't it make sense that offenses who had to play the dominant raven's defense would wind up ranked lower than offenses who got to play the laxidasical tiddly winks of philly?

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
Was anyone else thinking that Levi stadium was a shitty place to host super bowl 50? The outdoor stadium on the west coast with the sun being up for most the game was pretty weird. I'm under the impression the super bowl should be played under the lights, the whole game just had a not super bowl vibe to me because of the venue choice.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
My wife said the same thing during the halftime show, until then I hadn't really noticed it. I wish they would just build a 100k person stadium in Vegas and have it there every year.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
How did you get those offensive rankings? Is that where the offenses wound up at the end of the year? Doesn't it make sense that offenses who had to play the dominant raven's defense would wind up ranked lower than offenses who got to play the laxidasical tiddly winks of philly?
That was pretty much my point. Not only did their division have the greatest defense of all time, but the Titans were in the same division with the #2 defense. Throw in the 8th ranked Pittsburgh D that was also in the division and that's 10 games against teams who aren't going to be ranked very high on offense just due to the brutal schedule.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My wife said the same thing during the halftime show, until then I hadn't really noticed it. I wish they would just build a 100k person stadium in Vegas and have it there every year.
Eh, I have a couple friends who have gone to quite a few Super Bowls and they really enjoy being there for a good bit of "Super Bowl Week". They (and the media and people involved with the game) all seem to enjoy the different atmosphere of rotating locations. It also brings a pretty nice burst to each city's economy I'd bet.

Why Vegas of all places?

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
After the ball hit the ground, it shifts. Not a catch.

You guys are some serious faggots. Who gives a shit if Miller touched Cam. Jfc

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I thought the weird sunset atmosphere in Santa Clara was oddly cool. We are used to super bowls in a dome or at night but there is nothing wrong with something different every now and then.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Was anyone else thinking that Levi stadium was a shitty place to host super bowl 50? The outdoor stadium on the west coast with the sun being up for most the game was pretty weird. I'm under the impression the super bowl should be played under the lights, the whole game just had a not super bowl vibe to me because of the venue choice.
The NFL uses the Super Bowl as a way to encourage/reward cities for building brand new stadiums for their teams.

Jovec

?
The NFL uses the Super Bowl as a way to encourage/reward cities for building brand new stadiums for their teams.
Basically. "Hey city! Help your billionaire team owner by financing 99%* of this new stadium and we'll reward you with a $50 million dollar boost to your local economy for two weeks."

*Oh and since we are a 501(c)(6) we need to bereimbursedfor all the taxes our employees pay while we are there.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
After the ball hit the ground, it shifts. Not a catch.

You guys are some serious faggots. Who gives a shit if Miller touched Cam. Jfc
You might as well just remove tackling if that Von Miller hit was a penalty. Literally a perfect play. You're going to come in contact with each others heads at some point. Watching that play no one ever thought that was a penalty. A lot of salty Carolina sympathizers.