NFL 2015-2016 Season Thread

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Basically. "Hey city! Help your billionaire team owner by financing 99%* of this new stadium and we'll reward you with a $50 million dollar boost to your local economy for two weeks."

*Oh and since we are a 501(c)(6) we need to bereimbursedfor all the taxes our employees pay while we are there.
NFL dropped its 501 status.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
It happens a lot, I agree, but it just as often doesn't happen. I recall that Green Bay/Arizona playoff game back in 2009/10 where Arizona stripped Rodgers in OT and ran it back for a touchdown. The replay clearly showed a facemask, the helmet even turned a little, but no call.

I'd like to think that good Refs won't arbitrarily call incidental helmet brushes. Now if Miller hadwappedhim in the face or top of helmet? That probably would have been called.
The rules have changed since then partly because of that specific play...

I heard the announcers talk about dudes changing their cleats and I thought they were blowing shit out of proportion (per usual) and then I saw this video -

Watch Jonathan Jones's Vine "Michael Oher cans turf"

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
This one allowed the lineman to get in position so that the back could block side to side with him and create a wall. Since their pass protection was so horrid all day I would say this one probably helped them. Oher sliding was just hilarious though. How much power do you need to hit someone who is listed at 315 and push them 5 yards?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I thought I read they were going to. Too bad that's only on the NFL proper, valued at some $200 million or whatever. It's like a CEO making a $1 salary while compensated in options.
I'm not sure what you are getting at here, but the NFL has always paid income taxes on all of their income from tv rights, licensing, sponsors, tickets, etc. It has just been done by the 32 teams when they get their share of the revenue. I'm sure the owners do whatever they can to reduce their tax burdens, like 99.99% of all taxpayers do, but they don't have some special exempt status nor do any of the other major sports leagues.

We can debate the pros-and-cons of publicly funded stadiums, whether partially or fully, but that is the end of any sort of special "tax benefit" the NFL receives.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The NFL being tax exempt was overblown and not fully understood by those that complained about it. It was just the central office with profit in the $10-$20mil range.

So while the NFL brings in $10+ billion per year, the vast vast majority of that is brought in by the teams. So this tax exemption only saved them about $3-$6 million per year. They got rid of it because it's pocket change to them and not worth the bad PR as well as the fact that now they don't have to disclose executive pay.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
The NFL front office actually operated at a "loss" more often than not is my understanding. The only thing the tax-exempt status allowed them to do is to centrally collect revenue and distribute it to the 32 teams w/o it getting double-taxed slightly more easily than it is w/o the exempt status. They decided some extra accounting was worth the effort to curb the perception they avoided paying taxes thanks to the uninformed internet memes floating around. Oh, and now they don't have to disclose Goodell's salary either.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Random tangent, was watching an old episode of How I Met Your Mother where Jim Nance guest starred (the Barney Perfect Week episode) and he has a line where he says there's 2 things you don't do, and quotes you don't open up an email from Phil Simms in front of your kids.

I still hate we had Simms for the Super Bowl.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Eh, I have a couple friends who have gone to quite a few Super Bowls and they really enjoy being there for a good bit of "Super Bowl Week". They (and the media and people involved with the game) all seem to enjoy the different atmosphere of rotating locations. It also brings a pretty nice burst to each city's economy I'd bet.

Why Vegas of all places?
Having gone to the Super Bowl in Indianapolis and Arizona, I can tell you how fucking retarded it is for a city like Indianapolis to get a Super Bowl and not be able to handle the Super Bowl goers. We had to stay in Lafayette Indiana because it was the closest available hotel. Arizona had dope weather, but the fucking game is in Glendale and the fan fest was in Scottsdale, shit made no sense. Vegas is the only city in America with the infrastructure to handle 60k people at one time, have great weather, and give everyone something to do in the days up to the game.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Incorrect.
HAHAHA. You really know nothing about the NFL.

Rick Horrow, the league's former stadium development consultant, said that moving the 2010 Super Bowl vote in time for the M.T.A. bidding was standard procedure. "It's always important for the N.F.L. to advocate all the advantages of a public-private partnership at a time of maximum impact to show what constituents stand to gain or lose," he said.

Build a stadium, get a SuperBowl. Been that way for a long time.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Because those are great places to go in the dead middle of winter.

Met-Life Stadium was the 1st Super Bowl in a really long time that is a northern stadium and is not indoors.

Facts, not opinions bro.Super Bowl History

opiate82

Bronze Squire
There are limits as it relates to cold weather outdoor stadiums, NY was a test run on that, but there is definitely a *wink wink* deal that if you built it, the Super Bowl will (most likely) come.

NY, SF, Ari, Minn all getting/got Super Bowls w/ new stadiums.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Pit, Cin, Sea, Den, NE, Phi, Pit have not, so there is no *wink wink*, but of course these are just facts, don't let that cloud your opinions.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Pit, Cin, Sea, Den, NE, Phi, Pit have not, so there is no *wink wink*, but of course these are just facts, don't let that cloud your opinions.
Sure

New stadium captured votes

In their comments after the vote, NFL owners and Goodell all singled out the new stadium, which is set to open for the Vikings' 2016 season.

"That won the day," Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie said. "The public really stepped up and supported in a major way a state-of-the-art stadium."

Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan said the same, adding that awarding a Super Bowl to a city with a new stadium is "a great NFL tradition."

Goodell called the stadium the "distinguishing factor" in the Minneapolis bid.

New York Jets owner Woody Johnson said, "The thing that stood out to me was the commitment the people of Minnesota gave to the Vikings. The owners responded to that."

Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis is trying to get public help for a new stadium. "It's an important message for those in the Bay Area - if you can get something done, you will be recognized for it," he said.